*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681978-Granny-Fields
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Detective · #1681978
Mrs. Fields, a sweet old lady, was robbed. Will she ever be the same?
        Norma fidgeted with her shawl. “I’m not sure how it happened, Officer Newport, I…I just don’t know!”
         David Newport exchanged a look with his partner, Jeffrey Hansen. There’s no way this Granny meant to kill that kid, David thought. Look at her! The wind could blow and she’d break a hip. David sighed and picked up his pen.
         
      “Mrs. Fields, I need you to go through it one more time. I know this is difficult but I need to record your statement.” While David waited for Norma to begin, Jeff got up and retrieved a glass of water for the woman. Poor lady, Jeff thought, she’s shaking like a leaf!
         
      Norma accepted the glass with a tentative smile then took a deep breath and began. “Well, I was walking home from the store. You know the one, that little corner-stop right up the street from my house. My son always tells me that I shouldn’t be walking around by myself like that, but I’m perfectly capable of going to store to buy myself a little bit of bread and milk! You know, when my son was little and still in his high chair, he used to test the temperature of his food by sticking his foot in it first. He made an awful mess, but he was just the most adorable--”
         
      “Mrs. Fields,” Jeff sighed, “I’m sure your son was a lovely child, but I’m afraid we must get on with your statement.”
         Norma smiled shyly. “Yes, of course. How silly of me to go on like that. Where was I? O yes! Well, I was walking home and this young man came out from behind the store and began to walk behind me a little ways. I didn’t think anything of it, mind you. It’s a residential area so he just didn’t seem out of place. Looking back that seems rather foolish, doesn’t it? I feel like I should have known somehow. A little of that fabled ‘woman’s intuition’ would have been nice.”
         
        She drones on and on, just like my Grandpa, David thought, although I’m fully convinced that HE could intentionally kill a punk if he was trying to rob him.

         “Then, just as I was standing at my door, trying to get the key into that tricky lock, it jams sometimes you know, that young man came up behind me and asked if I need any help. You hear all the time about boy scouts coming to the rescue of little old ladies. I just thought it was my lucky day. I should have…I didn’t think…”

         “I understand, Mrs. Fields. The robber was well dressed. There was no reason for you to suspect a thing. Although I must say, seventeen is a bit old for the boy scouts,” Jeff commented.
         Norma blushed slightly. “Yes, I guess it is. I’m afraid I’m just so out of touch with kids these days.”
         David smiled gently, “That’s alright. So what happened after he approached you at your door?”

         Norma frowned. “Well, after he offered his assistance, which I must say I was quite grateful for at the time, I’m ashamed to say I invited him in for a piece of the pecan pie I had baked earlier.”
         Of course she bakes pies, Jeff thought warmly. What little old lady doesn’t?
         Norma continued, “We sat in the kitchen and I made him a plate. I asked him his name, and he said that it was Walter. I should have suspected then. No one these days names their child Walter. It’s considered an old person’s name. Tell me, Officer Newport, what was his real name?”

         David flipped back through his notes. “His name was Ryan Walker.”
         Norma’s frown deepened. “No, that’s definitely not Walter. I should have known. How could I have been so naïve? What will my son say? He already sees me as old and decrepit. I try to tell him that he worries too much. He’s probably going to bring up the nursing home again. Oh my Lord, what was I thinking?”

         Jeff let Norma take a few minutes to collect herself before continuing on, “Okay, so he gave you a false name. Then what happened?”

         Norma took several deep breaths before speaking. “I gave him a piece of pie and a glass of the milk I had just bought and thanked him again for his assistance. I excused myself to go to the ladies room. When I came back out he was pawing through the drawers of my writing desk. I think I may have made a little noise because he whipped around and just stared at me. That sweet look in his eyes had vanished. He looked…I don’t know…merciless.  I was frozen with fear. I couldn’t even think. He reached under the back of his shirt and pulled out the biggest knife I have ever seen in my life! He started toward me and I fled toward the kitchen. I think I was hoping to get to the back door, but in hindsight there was no way I would have made it.” Norma took a quivering breath.

         “It’s okay, Mrs. Fields,” David said quietly, “take your time.”

         She placed her hand over his, “Thank you so much. You’ve been a tremendous comfort. You both have. I must finish this. It’s the right thing to do.” She straightened up as far as her spine would allow.

      “He caught my arm as I crossed the doorway into the kitchen. He clamped a hand down over my mouth and said something along the lines of, ‘If you scream, I’ll cut your throat’.” She waved her hand dismissively. “I’m fairly certain the poor child got that line of out one of those violent pictures the kids are watching these days. Anyway, I remembered those… Oh, what are they called? Self defense lessons my son insisted on showing me when he was growing up.” Norma forced a laugh. “And to think I found them to be silly at the time. But I’m proud to say that I fought back. I rammed my heel into his shin bone. He certainly let go of me then! He dropped the knife.”

         Norma stopped and shook her head. “I don’t even know what came over me. I picked up the knife. He didn’t seem too afraid, but it certainly made me feel better. I didn’t know what to do. I was terrified he’d overpower me again. He took a step toward me and, God help me, I threatened him! I’ve never even threatened the paperboy when he breaks my potted plants! But I did, I’ll admit it, I threatened him. I told him that if he came any closer, I’d run him through. He did though…he came closer. He tried to grab the knife and…and…” Norma began to sob quietly into her hands.

         David stood up. “Mrs. Fields, as far as I’m concerned this was self-defense. I’m sure the DA will agree. You don’t have to worry about this anymore. We’ll take care of everything.” He motioned for Jeff to follow him out of the interrogation room.

         Norma waited until she heard the door close, and then smiled into her hands. Suckers. I can’t wait to get back to the Bridge Club. I can’t believe that bitch Mabel bet me a hundred dollars I couldn’t get away with murder. Doesn’t she know how involved I was growing up in the community theater? Oh well. I’m a hundred bucks richer. Officer Newport was right about one thing though…that boy was too well dressed to be a robber.
         
© Copyright 2010 Bwitchd3 (eprov at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681978-Granny-Fields