*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1682114-Log-436-The-First-Meeting
by Karmyn
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1682114
Part of a collection of short stories involving the same characters.
The dream always came when stress was high…and it was always the same.

The skies were clear and bright.  The grassy hill was plush with vibrant green.  The air stirred with delicate touches.  All the tell tale signs of a perfect day and for brief time…it was.  As she ran down the hill at speeds that threatened her balance, she knew something was terribly wrong.  The body at the base of the hill did not stir and her very heart beat with the expectation that this was a cruel joke, that he was trying to trick her and her fear grasped at the possibility that when she reached him, he would spring up and say “Ha! I fooled you.”

She woke with a start, breathing hard as she clutched her blanket.  Her skin was damp with sweat and bits of dark blue hair fell across her face.  Her grey tank top clung to her torso, slightly twisted from the subconscious movements caused by the dream and her eyes, as she knew without looking, were black and silver.

Taking several slow breaths in an effort to return to a calmer state, she pulled back the sheets and went to the sink.  As she looked in the mirror, she noticed her eyes had already returned to their normal blue-grey color.  Rinsing her face with water, she took a moment to gaze at the clock.  It was way too early to be awake.  Sighing and stretching, she made her way back to bed.  Sleep was necessary, not only to ease her stress but to quell the darkness inside.

She woke to the sight and sound of a holographic woman telling her it was time to get up.  A faint reddish tinge from Priux 5’s sun streamed in from the room’s tiny window.  Her ship had been docked at a mid-sized spaceport on the tiny planet for the past two days.

“Off,” she stated sleepily and took a few moments to go over today’s goals in her mind.  She absolutely had to find a client because the funds were gone and the favors were all used up.  In some ways, it was a good thing she didn’t have a crew that relied on her.

As she sat there in bed, a question flitted through her mind.  How did this happen?  The question was not directed at her immediate situation, although it would have been reasonable to think that way.  It was directed more at her life in general.  She came from a world with a doomed fate due to its dying sun.  It was an event she was fortunate enough to miss due to an errand outside the solar system.  Her luck, as some would say, left her alone in the universe for she had yet to come across another of her race.  Her only home now was a well-used small freighter ship which was necessary for the career in exportation she had chosen.  Coupling these facts with no financial security and no social life had pushed her into a life of independence and reclusion.

After a speedy change and a brush through her hair, she was out the door and heading in the direction of the nearest bar in the hopes of overhearing some desperate businessman looking for a quick fix to their shipping dilemma. 

The first place she found caused her to hesitate.  She hastily categorized it as a dive and immediately doubted that any respectable clients would congregate here but the pressure for income made her swallow her uncertainty and she stepped inside.  Immediately her sharp vision was clouded by the hazy green tinged smoke typical of this kind of joint. It was extremely difficult to see across the large room that comprised most of the establishment.  Carefully she walked up to the counter, well aware of the disgusting looking matter on the floor, and sat down in what looked like the cleanest seat.  After ordering the cheapest drink on tap, she gazed around in search of her target.

After brushing off several dubious looking fellows whose interactions were focused more on pleasure rather than business, she was about to get up and leave when she noticed two Thraxians enter and head over to a man sitting at a table that was almost out of her hazy view.  Trouble was coming and everyone in the bar could feel it.  Thraxians were known for their greedy, unscrupulous practices as well as a mean temper.

Immediately, weapons were pulled and pointed at the guy who straightened out of his lounging position.  At first, she couldn’t make out what they were saying but the general idea became apparent when one of them smashed his fist on the table and shoved the weapon closer to the roguish face.

“I’m telling you, everything is set,” he stated quickly, an uneasy tremor audible in his tone.  “I’m just waiting for the mechanics to finish the tune up and…”

“Cthurth is sick of your excuses,” spat the one who seemed to have a little more control over his anger.  “We will make an example out of you.”

“I swear it.  The stuff will be shipped today.”

“You’re out of time.”

As she felt the tension skyrocket in the room, her body was already beginning to react.  Flashing back to those dark feelings from earlier this morning, she tried to focus on her heartbeat and slow the rate down.  If she lost control, the physical and psychological process that was her defense mechanism would threaten more than just a few lives.  As she took slow, moderated breaths, the sizzle of a weapon being fired was heard and her body reacted.  Ducking behind a group seated close by, she clutched the compacted staff attached to her belt and struggled to remain in control.

While the patrons of the bar reacted in an uproar, she grabbed a plate from the table and skillfully flung it so that it whacked hard against the Thraxian’s head.  A second plate went flying to hit the other one a split second later.  Seizing the moment, she flipped through the air, unhooked and extended the staff to its six foot length and ran towards her targets. Whipping it around, she deftly knocked the Thraxians on their backs.  Grabbing the man’s collar, she jerked on it hard so that he was an inch away from her face, and stated in a low tone, “Take this chance and get your ass out of here.”

The guy responded with a quick little nod before he got out of his chair and walked briskly towards the door.

Turning to face the two who were already starting to get up, she pushed a tiny button on her staff and a dagger slid out of the one end.  Placing it against a vulnerable spot on his torso, she threatened, “Don’t push your luck, I am barely keeping control.”

Their normally yellowed skin took a purplish tinge before she slid the dagger back in and walked away.  Not surprisingly enough, the guy was at the door, watching what had happened.

Exiting with her, he didn’t even wait two seconds before starting, “You are one crazy female.  I cannot believe what you just pulled back there.  Where did you even learn those moves?”

She was ignoring him as he ranted, bent over still trying to slow her heart and ease the tension that had settled within her.

“Hey, you all right?”

When she looked up at him, she could tell her eyes weren’t normal as he blanched and took a step back but with a blink of her eyelids, they reverted to their blue-grey hues.

“What are you?!”

“I thought I told you to get out of here,” she stated and watched the bar door for any sign of movement.

“I couldn’t leave a girl to the fight, though after seeing what you did, I don’t know why I worried.  My name’s Gared.”

Her brows furrowed and she took a few steps back to the door.  ‘Where are they?’ she thought to herself.

“Wait a minute, you weren’t offended by my remark, were you?  I meant it in the most chivalrous way.”

“Shut up.”  She couldn’t hear any noises coming from inside.  Carefully, she pressed on the door, staff ready in her left hand.  Peering inside, she noticed the two thugs had disappeared.  Turning around, she asked, “What did the Thraxians want with you?”

“I agreed to take some stuff for them to the Kinsic system but my partner ditched me and took the ship we were using.”

She eyed him warily.  “Interesting coincidence.”

“Well, I guess I better figure out my next move.  Thanks for saving my ass.”  Reluctantly, he began to turn away.

She knew she was going to regret her next words but she continued anyway, “You do realize they won’t leave you alone until they get what they want.  So the choice is yours, do you want to finish your deal or is death something you’re ready for?”

“Wait a minute, are you interested in me…’cause I’m not a long-term commitment kinda guy,” he replied with a devilish smirk.

There it was, the moment of regret.  With a disgusted look, she stated, “I have a ship.”

“Well, why didn’t you say so…wait a minute, what’s in it for you?  You don’t even know me.”

“I came into that bar looking for a job.  I want half the payout, though.”

“Thirty percent.”

“There are plenty of other bars in this city and I’m sure I could find one that comes with less hassle.  Good luck finding someone who’s willing to deal with your Thraxian problem.”

“Forty percent.”

“You need me more than I need you.  If you’re lucky, by the time you’ve realized that, I might still be available.”

There was a big sigh.  “Fine. Fifty.”  There was a brief pause before he stated, “Good thing for you, I like a woman who’s hot and tough.”

* * * * * *

The goods in question were housed in a small undistinguished warehouse not too far from the dock where her ship was located.  She would’ve shrugged off the four large crates that took up most of the space inside except for one small detail: rows of holes that were necessary for living cargo lined the tops of the crates.  Living cargo had more risks and safety precautions involved and since Gared had no idea what was inside, she was forced to open one of the crates in order to know how to proceed.

“This is your shipment?!” she asked, surprised and somewhat disgusted.

“Hey, I don’t ask what it is.  I just do my job,” he replied defensively.

“I refuse to deliver this and if you had any conscience, you would’ve refused too.”

“I’m not here to judge other cultures practices.”

“It’s slave labour!” she snapped.  “They’re going back to their homes!”  The slaves in question were a race of black furred humanoids with bat-like faces called Kvzians.  While they were only about two and a half feet tall, their stature allowed them to possess a hardy strength and a strong constitution, qualities any slave trader would want.

“Oh and that would definitely get the Thraxians off my back.”

“Trading your life for all of theirs is wrong.”

“If this goes your way, they’ll be after you too.  We are talking about an intergalactic mob boss and I’m pretty certain he’s not going to let this slide.”

“Just let him try something,” she replied in a tone deeper than her normal voice.  Briefly, her eyes flashed black and a feeling of unease washed over Gared as he wondered if staying with her was a good idea.

* * * * * *

After they got everyone settled in the cargo bay, she quickly showed him the main areas of the ship.

“Not bad, not bad.  I’ve definitely seen worse,” he replied as they reached the ship’s bridge when a realization dawned on him.  “Hey, you never told me your name.”

“Talisa,” she replied quickly.  Gesturing to a seat near the door, she stated, “You can sit there.”

“Pretty name for a pretty lady,” he commented, trying to work his charm once more.

“You should buckle up,” she said, ignoring his remark.

Once they were in space, she set the autopilot and headed back to the cargo bay to see how the Kvzians were holding up.  Just as she arrived, the ship rocked violently.  Running back to the front of the ship, she found Gared sitting in the pilot’s seat.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m trying to avoid getting shot.  I think the Thraxians might have noticed their missing cargo,” he replied and veered the ship hard right.  “Boy, this baby handles better than I thought.”

“Get out of the chair,” she demanded.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea right now.”

“Get out of the chair!”

He scrambled out of the seat and moment later the ship was rocked with another hit.  Settling in the chair, she took a quick look at the tailing vessel and tried to dodge another attack but it came too late.  This time the hit triggered an alarm.  One of the vents was damaged.  Two more impacts set off another alarm.

“Get back in the chair,” she ordered curtly.  She hated to admit, even if it was indirectly, that he was a better pilot.

Taking position in front of the weapon’s system, she fired a few shots back at the larger spacecraft but it was apparent their defense system could handle whatever she threw at them.

“Can you lose them?” she asked.

“Depends on your ship,” he replied just after dodging another shot.  He quickly scanned for the transwarp inducer and flipped it on.  He felt the hum move through the navigation panel and when it was primed, activated the drive which increased the velocity tenfold.

“This baby’s full of surprises,” he stated with a wicked grin.  The speed and maneuverability was not enough as the brief reprieve was interrupted with more shots.

When the ship sustained a few more shots, Talisa couldn’t take it anymore.  “Can you get close enough for me to board?”

“Are you crazy?!  Why would you even suggest that?”

“I am hoping a little one on one time will help them to see the error of their ways.”  The creepy low tone was back.

It took a bit of time before Gared successfully maneuvered the ship so that the docking ports aligned but as soon as they were locked together, she was armed and ready.  The moment the door opened, she let the inner presence go and what started out as a crew of seven quickly dwindled down to one. 

“This is your only warning,” she stated and walked back towards her ship.  The warning was not heeded and just as the Thraxian grabbed his weapon, she whipped out her gun and shot him in the head.  The reaction was so quick and effortless that it jarred her back to herself and left a pit of apprehension in her stomach. 

As she stared at the lifeless body, she realized she needed to make a change in her plan.  Heading to the main deck, she signaled their boss and in as few words as possible, she quickly let the seedy overlord know what happened to his crew and what would happen to him if he tried to come after her again.  Programming the ship for self-destruction, she ran back through the docking port and disengaged the locking mechanism.

Returning to the bridge, she demanded, “Get this ship out of here now!”

With another blast of acceleration, they fled the scene a few seconds before the explosion.

“How did you-,” he began to say but upon spying the numb expression on her face, he reconsidered, “You know what, I don’t want to know.”

There was a long moment of uneasy silence as Talisa processed everything that happened.  The darkness inside had gotten her out of some tough situations in the past but this was the first real time that she felt like the events were somehow unnecessary.  Even scarier was the feeling of losing control.  Each time she felt it get stronger, she felt weaker.  Someday the realization would come that it wouldn’t relinquish control and she’d have no one to help her.  She could only hope that others wouldn’t have to pay for her failings.

Sensing that Gared was waiting for orders, she stated simply, “Let’s get these guys home.”

“Whatever you say, boss.”

Talisa was about to correct him but stopped.  Maybe it would be nice to have another person around.  Another flash of regret resurged inside but she forced it down.  How bad could it be?

© Copyright 2010 Karmyn (vaidyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1682114-Log-436-The-First-Meeting