*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683028-Synatu-Enrekin
Rated: 13+ · Preface · Romance/Love · #1683028
Preface to a story I'm working on. Please give me feedback, I would appreciate it!
They say the closest universe to our own is one billion light-years away. Well, they were a little off. "Star 5" was only fifty thousand light-years away from our own universe. When our planet began to show signs of giving up, we searched Mars.

Though it was our sister planet, it lacked more things than we had first though. Water was definitely an issue, but proper soil was the biggest. Without a diet to sustain us, there would be no human race. No atmosphere was brought up as well, but quickly dismissed. We didn't need one of those to survive.

Venus was the next search and would have probably been the prize if it hadn't been for a few "slight" problems. It had an atmosphere, that was a plus. Soil that, with proper treatment, would have produced ample fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, with the acid rain and poisonous gasses, we would have only lasted about a century.

Mercury was too hot, Jupiter was slightly too cold and had that storm that raged on for miles ("Red Spot"). Everything after that was just too chilly for us to even reside on for a short period of time.

So, scientists began searching outwards and soon found out that the galaxies they thought were so far away.. weren't. The closest was "Star 5," a younger star than our own by about one million years.

One would think that the names for the new galaxy we were exploring would be more original, but the scientists thought it would be more fitting if the planets were named after them. I don't think there was much worry about it since our planet was dying.

As we found out from rovers, sent immediately following their distance discovery, many of the planets are like our own. Trey was too hot and made of nothing but craters and, what appears as, sand. Reeker was slightly smaller and followed almost the same orbit as Trey, making it resemble that of our moon. Satenson was full of nothing but some pieces of land and lots and lots of oddly colored liquid.

Jakar was large, but the strip of volcanoes that ran almost the length of it's equator ruined those chances of surviving there. Last, but not least, there was Corden. It was the same size of our planet, yet a lot colder. The atmosphere was thick and freezing rain was eminent just about every day. The human race would have been encased in ice forever in a week.

Things were looking bleek by this point, that is, until the rover broke through Enrekin.

The scientists were all fixed on the screen when it began to burn through the atmosphere, heat beginning to cover the sides. A good atmosphere, the scientists applauded briefly then became quiet again. Glued once more, they let out a gasp of relief. Breaking through the clouds, the camera focused and the screen was filled with trees.

For miles and miles they could see foliage of greens and purples, and where there were plants there was some carbondyoxid and water. The room errupted with applause, scientists hugged and cried as they saw the video feed. As the rover continued towards the ground, the scientists began to calm and watch again.

The trees were very large, even more so then our Red Woods. As the machinary drifted, the temperature reading finally fixed itself on one specific degree. 84. It was hotter than they would have liked, but reasonable for humans. Had they finally found a planet to sustain them and be big enough to handle our growing population?

As the rover broke through the leaves, they quickly recognized them as being large aswell. They were prehistoric in size, very very large. The color they adorned was picular as well, green with purplish patterns. This new world was odd, but we had little room to be picky.

From the time they came through the atmosphere, the rover began to pick up speed. By the time it broke the forest top, the large trees were nothing but a blurr in the lens. The video flickered until it settled on the forest floor. The lens focused, and they found themselves staring at the base of one of the trees.

This world was almost like our own, except for the oddly colored plants. Trees with purplish green leaves, and grass that appeared the same. What caused this kind of pigmentation to occur? Another thing that caught the scientists eye was the flowers that they saw on the forest floor. The stems were orange and reddish, with pointed flower pedals. The stems were bright orange and stuck out pretty far from the flower. The rover had brushed on the flowers, a small spark of flames visible for a second. A fire plant?

One of the scientists guided the equipment to some grass and plucked some. The rover then sent it to the lab, which it would arrive in hours. They also sampled a leaf, but the fire flower was too hot to get close to. Every time they attempted to pluck it, it began "poofing" fire at the rover. For fear of damaging the machinary, they abandoned it.

As the rover moved across the soil and grass, the first sign of moving life appeared. Beetle type bugs began to elude the rover, floating up and away. Some beetles were beneath the rover and as they began to float, the machinary lifted slightly before slamming back to the surface. They, too, were oddly colored in blues, reds and oranges.

The scientists were astounded by the new finding, and their strength. Was it really this tiny creature that was causing the rover to lift off the ground? They kept watching and not too long after the beetle incident, they began to see some oddly colored eggs.

They were green with a few purple and black eggs. What kind of creature would lay such oddly colored eggs?

Without any warning at all a swift figure moved infront of the screen, knocking the rover clean on it's side. Then, the sound of claws and teeth hitting metal echoed through the speakers.

The scientists eyes widened, and loud growling could be heard before there was a snap and the feed went dead...
© Copyright 2010 Miakaru Hanataku (cmhuffman2006 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683028-Synatu-Enrekin