*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683299-Midnight-Party
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Family · #1683299
An 18th century vampire and werewolf short story nothing like twilight.

“Antoinette,” Linton brushed my hair behind my ear and whispered; “I love you dearly.”

“Is that true?” I asked.

“Of course it is,” he said as if I were crazy. In a few seconds I know he will be regretting those words. On this perfect night I don't know what could happen.

The night air was crisp and it filled my dead lungs with a cool wind. I tightened my shawl around my shoulders and pretended to be cold. His arms encased me in a warm hug. I could feel the blood pumping wildly in his veins. I pressed my mouth against his carotid. His scent was so delicious. My gums tingled and I opened my mouth and let my fangs go...

DO NOT BITE HIM, I heard Margret’s voice echo in my head.

I retracted my fangs before Linton saw them. I guess Margret was watching. She was always was making sure I wasn’t screwing up. I never know whether to thank her or tell her to leave me alone.

Today she had good reason. This morning I had announced that I would tell Linton my secret, our secret. It turned into something like this.

“You’re going to tell someone else?” Margret had screeched.

“I feel something special with his,” I told her plainly.

“Just like you felt something special with Locus, Jacob, Amah, Julius-.”

“Hey that one was not me. I dated him before it was king. Though it was my fault and he never let me forget it. I would've been queen.”

“It’s always the same thing with you. You don’t care about anybody else’s feelings.”

"Yes I do. I wouldn’t be telling him this if he hadn’t said he loved me.”

“For a woman so experienced I’d think you’d be able to see behind this facade.”

“What are you talking about?”

“He only wants you for your body.”

“But-but we haven’t done anything yet.”

“Exactly, He just wants you to take off your dress.”

“No. No he doesn’t.”

“Stop being so dense Annie.”

Then Zeus walked in and I ran to him. He smoothed out my hair as I cried in his shirt.

“Do men only want me for my body?” I asked.

“Dear-only mortals,” he didn’t lie to me, “Immortals tend to look beyond the face after a while. You have brains though sometimes I’m not sure.”

“W-what do you mean?” I stepped back to look into his brown eyes.

“You’re going to tell him?” he asked.

I looked away, “does it matter?”

He took my chin and held my face turning toward him, “You either have to kill him or turn him.”

“Or I could have finally found my human love,” I said silently.

“Why would you want a human love?” Margret asked.

“Neither of you noticed. What do you think I was trying you do when I fell in love with all of those humans?”

“Be naive,” Zeus mumbled.

I twitched and stomped out. I hadn’t seen either of them since.

“Dear,” Linton touched my face, “you seem far away.”

“Huh? Oh no I’m fine,” I gave him a half hearted smile.

“That’s good,” he hugged me tighter.

HE ONLY WANTS YOU FOR YOUR BODY. I bit my lip and pushed her voice out of my head. I had made my decision.

“Do you love me?” I asked him.

“Yes,” he answered.

“What if I wasn’t human?”

He chuckled, “of course.”

I looked over at him. His curly hair covered his forehead and ears. His copper colored eyes made him look innocent and his olive colored skin gave him is Italian flare. He wasn’t conceded or mean or ever tried to control me. He was nice and I knew he was doing it for a reason. He loved me and I knew it, but I needed to be sure. I touched his cheek.

“Please, tell me that you really love me,” I begged him.

“I really, really do love you,” he gave me a small smile.

I smiled back, “I believe you, but it’s not up to me.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked me.

“Come,” I stood up and stared to walk back home, “Well?”

“Oh, okay,” he got up and followed me.

THANK YOU, Margret said to me.

I nodded and took Linton’s hand as we walked down the path back towards my house.

As we approached the house I could see Zeus’s reddish brown hair as he opened the door, he smiled at us. I guess they had got the fact that I actually checked for the truth this time and found out that he really did mean it. I had no idea how much he actually loved me. It was kind of creepy, but it was also cute.

Margret appeared behind Zeus and they gave us both a trusting smile. I noticed that Liam wasn’t there. He was the one that was supposed to make the decision in the first place. He was probably sitting in the attic like he usually does.

“I made some tea,” Zeus moved out of the way so we could enter.

“Liam is coming down,” Margret said.

“Okay,” I took a deep breath.

“Sit, sit, sit,” Margret rushed us over to the chairs, “Annie, I’m so glad you got it right this time.”

“You think so?” I asked her and sat next to Linton who looked flustered.

She nodded, “Let’s just hope that Liam feels the same way.”

We nodded and heard heavy footsteps down the stairs. I stared at Margret her black hair draped around her shoulders, her black skin glowing with a supernatural glow. I’d never needed to look into those brown eyes more than I did today.

IT WILL BE ALRIGHT, her voice said to me.

I nodded though I didn’t believe her at the least. We heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Liam appeared in the doorway with a smile until he saw Linton.


“Liam, I know I’ve done this before, but-“I tried to explain.

“Come,” he frowned and I knew what was coming.

I approached and he back handed me. I stumbled, but was not shaken from my decision. Somehow Linton was by my side in a second. I never understood how he was so fast, but I never questioned. Liam on the other hand questioned everything.

“How do you move so fast?” he asked Linton.

“I-I wanted to tell you-show you actually, when the moon was full and we were alone,” his voice hushed and he was only talking to me, “I-.”

There was a howl outside and Linton stiffened.

“What have you brought to the house now?” Liam asked.

“W-wolfs,” Zeus stuttered, “three they’re coming fast.” Zeus was standing by the window. I didn’t think it was possible, but I think his skin paled, “humans too.”

Linton and Liam flew to the window at the same speed. I don't think they noticed though. Margret and I went to another window.

Big hairy wolfs moving in fast from the west. The humans were coming too. Pitch forks and torches they were a good distance from the wolfs, but were gaining.

“W-why are they coming?” Zeus asked.

“To get their brother,” Liam rushed at Linton slamming him against the north wall.

“Liam what are you doing?” I rushed toward them, but Linton’s howl stopped me.

I could see him bare his teeth growling. Those beautiful brown eyes turned a bloody crimson. I gasped and he looked at me and calmed down.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“Do you know then?”” I asked,

He nodded,” I could smell your scent.”

“You-you didn’t say anything.”

“You were going to tell me today right?” he said.

I nodded, “but how come I couldn't tell wolfs smell…potent. Not bad, but we can tell.”

“I hid my scent,” he explained.

“So-you really do want me.”

He nodded, “but I have condemned all of you to a terrible fate.”

Liam snorted a laugh, “boy if you’ve lived as long as I have fate would be nothing, but a word.” Linton said nothing and Liam released him. “Zeus open up the gates for the wolfs.”

“W-w-what if they try to eat me?” Zeus panicked.

Linton let out a howl that caused us to cover our ears, “They won’t now.” Linton said after a howl from outside.

Zeus nodded slowly and then went.

“Margret go make sure he doesn’t run off,” Liam commended.

She curtsied and headed out of the room.

“Why are you never that respectful?” Liam asked.

‘Cause I’m not a push over, I thought.

“I always think of it after the fact,” I said.

I HEARD THAT, Margret echoed in my head.

Always in my head what did you expect, I thought to her.

I could just see her face scrunch up and release. Those little mannerisms are what made her…her.

“You two give me much stress. Especially you,” Liam glared at me, “how many times have you brought trouble?”

“Trouble, I like to think of it more like…excitement,” I mumbled.

Liam sighed, “I give you my blessing.” He touched Linton’s shoulder, “and I give you all the luck for this one.”

“Don’t say that like I am a problem,” I put my hands on my hips and hmphed.

Liam gave me a small smile and then his eyes widened, “I have an idea.”

Don’t you always, I thought.

IT’S A GOOD ONE, Margret echoed.

Margret was standing by my side before I even had a chance to say anything.

“We’ll get on it,” Margret said to Liam, and then to me, “I’ll get you up speed.”

Liam grabbed the confused looking Linton and they started to leave. I grabbed Linton and kissed him. We gazed at each other until Linton pulled him out of the room.

“He is in love with you,” Margret giggled.

“I know,” we both shrieked and danced around.

“Okay, the plan.”

* * *

The plan went into motion right after Margret and I struggled to get food ready and slip into our party dressed. We also had to find cloths for the handsome Italian wolfs. One of them kept glancing over at Margret.

I didn’t blame him. She looked stunning in her violet dress and that corset was fitting. Linton of course couldn’t keep his hands off of me. I didn’t mind, I couldn’t keep my lips off of him. When the humans arrived everybody stopped.

“Alright, Zeus you laced the fur across the woods right?” Liam asked.

“Check,” Zeus nodded, “sorry about that by the way.”

“No worries, it’s just like molting with pain,” said the guy who had been staring at Margret. He smiled when she giggled.

“Party set up good,” Liam mentally checked off the list to his plan, “food, clothes and wine perfect. Let’s go.”

We were at the gate before the humans even came into view.

“Did you see where they went?” one man in the front yelled.

“The wolfs yes, we fired a few shots and they ran off into the forest,” Liam lied.

The man nodded and they ran towards the woods.

ANNE LIAM WANTS TO KNOW HOW MANY ARE GOING TO DIE TONIGHT, Margret echoed.

I searched around my head for an answer, one.

I saw Liam stiffen, he hated to put anyone in danger. That’s what I liked most about him.

I finally noticed that one man had stayed.

“I’ll make sure you’re safe,” he said there was no argument.

“Alright then come in,” Liam guided him in.

We were all seated in the parlor with the party stuff ready. The man sat down on Liam’s chair without being asked. Liam stood by the window with a glare on his face. I understood how he felt. No one ever sat in Liam’s chair, but Liam.

“Would you like some wine,” Margret asked,” bread perhaps.”

“No,” the man answered with a stern face, “tell your slave - .”

“She is not our slave,” I spat at him, “she is our sister. You come to protect us yet you insult us without words. What is it that you want?”

He held the gun up to me, “I came here to kill.”

He shot a few times, but they were all useless because Zeus had pulled him back.
Zeus grinned and his fangs descended from his gums, “You want to kill, huh? Have you ever felt the pain of being killed.”
Margret, Zeus, and I looked at Liam expectantly.
"Feed my children," he allowed.
We all smiled, "It's been so long."
Zeus punctured his neck and Margret and I took his wrists. Before the heart stopped we stopped.
I turned to see Linton staring, "I hope this isn't a deal breaker."
"Don't worry," Linton assured me, "I wouldn't give you up for all the blood in the world."
© Copyright 2010 WriteeninVamp (writeenvamp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683299-Midnight-Party