*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683320-Cache-Lesson-4---Interview-with-Characte
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Other · #1683320
The protagonist is interviewed by a photojournalist regarding Painted Ladies.
Photojournalist interview with Storee Reynolds

When I pulled up to the Crabby Rose I was in seventh heaven and overwhelmed with all it’s Victorian splendor. I started taking pictures as soon as I stepped out of the car. I had contacted Storee Reynolds, the owner, of the Crabby Rose because I am doing an article for a magazine on Painted Ladies. We have been communicating via email and Storee agreed to let me interview her and this vintage beauty. The walkway is paved with bricks and the garden is a riot of cleome, bee balm, spirea, and, of course, roses. A majestic willow tree shades a portion of the front yard at this time of day.

Storee welcomes me with a strong handgrip and a friendly smile. We are seated in the parlor on a ruby red velvet sofa.


Storee: So Kevin tells me that you too met while both of you were on a photo shoot for one of the fashion rags. (Storee fiddles with a silver bracelet she wears, rubbing it up and down her arm.)

Lucas: Yeah – I told him I was working on a series of Painted Ladies, and he said he lived in one and the rest is history. This is a wonderful room. Does the fireplace still work?

Storee: Probably, but I haven't started one in a long time.

Lucas: How did it get the name Crabby Rose?

Storee: (Laughs.) Some people may think it was named after my mom, since her name was Rose, but when I was around three years old she was doing a painting of cabbage roses and I kept calling them crabby roses. (Her smile reveals deep dimples.)

Lucas: The house even smells like roses.

Storee: A lot of people have said that. I’ve never noticed it. (Applies Chapstick)

Lucas: The outside is beautiful. Do you recall the historical paint names for the colors?

Storee: No, but that’s an interesting question. If I had to guess, maybe something like Cabbage Rose, Apple Green, and Butter Crème. However, don’t quote me on that. I’m a comic book colorist, so you’d think I’d pay more attention to details like that.

Lucas: Wow! What type of comics?

Storee: Oh, it’s just a small company trying to makes it’s way into the big time. Alien superheroes and the like. Nerdy macho stuff. (Storee rolls her eyes) But I’m grateful for the job because it’s such a male dominated field. I also have my own small biz on the side called…Crabbyrose Designs. Greeting cards of a spunky fairy and live fairy gardens. (Laughs) Garden and gift shop items and soon mail order.

Lucas: Live fairies? What does that entail?

Storee: Not the fairies…so much. I design fairy gardens in planters.

Lucas: Using what kind of materials?

Storee: Oh, I make most of the pieces. Sometimes I start with a little cottage or gazebo, or something as simple as an arbor…then fill it in with miniature items, such as, pebbles, moss, small plants. Often times their tiered. Whatever, I dream up.

Lucas: Your talent is to be admired. Where do you get your inspiration?

Storee: Mom was the teacher and she did a fabulous job, but dad was the instigator of fun and imagination. He was a photographer, like yourself, and would look for the unexpected in whatever he would shoot. He also said, see what you don’t see. (Her eyes rove to a gallery of framed photographs on the opposite wall.)

Lucas: Those are remarkable. So surreal. Is that a playhouse in that photograph?

Storee: My dad built it out back for my friend Iris, when I was a little girl. (Storee scratches at a three inch scar on the inside of her left arm.) I’m sorry…would you like something to drink?

Lucas: No…no, I’m fascinated by the history here. When was this house built?

Storee: I’m not exactly sure. Maybe around 1875 or so. My mother’s family bought it and then she inherited it. Like me. Besides the playhouse, the only other thing they added was the green house. (Storee wrinkles her nose and looks down.)

Lucas: So it’s not used anymore for growing?

Storee: Yes, it is. My friend and I use it for the potted fairy gardens. At first she thought it was creepy, but not so much anymore.

Lucas: Why creepy?

Storee: Because that’s where my dad died. (Storee hugs herself.)

Lucas: I’m sorry – didn’t mean to drag up sad memories.

Storee: It’s okay…I’m getting used to it. It was just very odd. He seemed so healthy and then he has a heart attack. Don’t want to bore you with the details.

Lucas: You’re anything but boring. I noticed you have a For Rent sign out front.

Storee: Ah that. I have extra room upstairs and Kevin is gone so much, and Mrs. Lipinski is hard of hearing and getting old, it just seemed a good idea since it’s a lot of work to keep this place going and not to mention money. So, a little extra money helps pay for repairs and maintenance.

Lucas: Kinda like a Bed & Breakfast?

Storee: (laughs) More like a creaky bed and get your own breakfast.

Lucas: Well…I'm sure that will be no problem. Do you mine if I start taking more photos?

Storee: No. Go ahead. Do you need me for anything?

Lucas: Just your company, if you don’t mind? Just in case I have questions.

Storee: (Big smile) No problem. Do you want to meet the others?

Lucas: Boarders, you mean?

Storee: Family. Ah…here comes Patti now.

Lucas: Holy moly…is that a pig?

Storee: Shhh! She doesn't like to be called that.

Lucas: The rose smell is even stronger now.

Storee: Still don’t notice it. (Storee leans down and hugs and kisses the big fat pig.)


© Copyright 2010 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683320-Cache-Lesson-4---Interview-with-Characte