*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683642-Ichelle-working-title
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: NPL · Fiction · Fantasy · #1683642
A fantasy story, about a girl, 2 boys, her father, and a world on the edge of war.
Chapter 1



         Ichelle was sitting on a rock near the edge of the lake when she looked up from the manuscripts she was studying; automatically she checked the position of the sun for the time and made a mental note to leave soon so that she wouldn’t be late for the midday meal.  Her gaze then rested wistfully on the Minstrel Hall sitting proudly atop the crest of the hill on the far side of the lake.  While looking at the hall she noticed a man walking toward her.  Taking in his appearance swiftly, she noticed he was not much taller than she, and his build was lean and wiry.  From his clothing and the lack of insignia woven into his tunic Ichelle realized that he was at least a journeyman minstrel.  As he came around the lake she noticed his skin was tanner than most of the others at the hall.  By now Ichelle’s interest was peaked, for very few from the hall ventured around to this side of the lake.  She knew this well since she had come to this spot often as a child, when she needed the quiet and solitude she could not find in the hall.  As he approached the base of the large rock she sat on, she realized that she had never seen him before.  His features were fine, almost pretty; and he had large, deep-set dark eyes.  As he looked up and met her gaze, his eyes seemed to reach into her and read her thoughts.  He climbed up on the rock next to her. 

         “What are you doing out here?  Shouldn’t you be at the hall in classes like the others?” he asked quietly, in a tone of authority.

         As he spoke Ichelle noticed he wore a master’s ring on his right hand, and had a well-worn journeyman’s buckle on his belt.  “How long have you been in the hall?” she replied coolly, “It’s apparently not long, or you’d know that I don’t belong in any of the morning classes; unless of course advancement exams are being given,” she added without missing a beat.

         “I’ve been in the hall for over ten years now,” he replied irritably.  “Who are you, and what right have you to question me?” he asked sharply.

         “Help me up and I’ll tell you on the way back to the hall,” she answered sweetly, extending her right hand to him.  He reached to grasp it, and noticing she also wore a master’s ring, faltered slightly.  “Would you mind picking those things up for me?” she asked, to give him time to recover.  With that she stood and jumped lightly down off the rock.  She turned back to him and said, “Let’s start over.  I’m Ichelle, and as you can see a master minstrel.  And you?  I don’t recognize you, and I know all the masters and senior journeymen, or at least I thought I did.”

         “My name is Balin; I’m not surprised you don’t recognize me.  I became a journeyman about seven years ago, and have been traveling in and out of the hall ever since.  I only became a master a year ago.  How long have you been in the hall?”  While he had been talking, he’d jumped down off the rock.  He now handed Ichelle her lap desk, and indicated that she should lead the way back.

          “It’s hard to say really, officially about fifteen years, unofficially it’s been almost twenty-five years.  I’ve spent the past ten posted in Dragon’s Cove.”

         “You can’t have been here that long.  You’re not much older than twenty-five.” he exclaimed.

         “Oh yes, I can.  I was born here.  I couldn’t become an apprentice until I was ten, and by the time I was fifteen I was posted to Dragon’s Cove as a journeyman.”

         “Fifteen, you were made a journeyman at fifteen.  I thought I had made journeyman young, and I was only eighteen.”

         As they walked back to the hall the conversation turned to their experiences in the hall.  It turned out that Balin had been to the hall only briefly during his apprenticeship, and that was when he had become a journeyman.  Since then he had been there on several short visits, to deliver information and not much more.  However, it turned out that all his visits had been after Ichelle had been posted to Dragon’s Cove.  In return Ichelle told him the highlights of having grown up in the hall, and how she had become a journeyman at fourteen.  She also hastened to explain that like him she had only become a master a year ago, and that this was only her second day back at the hall.  Their conversation continued on to describing to each other what life was like in their assigned duties.  Balin spoke of the places he had been, and the wonders some of them contained.  He spoke so eloquently that Ichelle paid rapt attention, and could almost picture the places he spoke of.  She found herself longing once more to be a traveling minstrel, instead of one assigned to a lord’s court.  When Ichelle’s turn came she spoke of life in a lord’s court, all her duties, the surrounding countryside, and most importantly the dragons that gave Dragon’s cove its name.  Her lively way of speaking enthralled Balin and he was quite certain she couldn’t speak more colorfully.  Then she began speaking of the dragons and he knew his earlier conclusion was wrong.  She now spoke so colorfully that he was completely fascinated and he could see the dragons in his minds eye as clearly as if they were right in front of him.

         They stopped just outside the main hall as three apprentices raced quickly past them.  When asked why they were running, the quick response was “to not be late for mid-day meal”, without so much as slowing down.  At this Balin and Ichelle both realized how slowly they had been walking.  There was no time for Ichelle to put her lap desk away.  She just took it with her as she and Balin hurried into the large dining room and took the remaining seats at the master’s table.  As they did so the Master Minstrel entered the dining room as well and strode toward the table also.

         Master Minstrel Orin was a tall, handsome man.  His look and carriage were aristocratic.  Those who knew him knew he was an intelligent, good-natured man who could easily be as bawdy as any of the minstrels in his hall, but usually refrained.  He looked at Ichelle and Balin standing side by side at the opposite end of the table from him.  As he sat down, signaling the start of the meal, he delicately arched an eyebrow, and smiled to himself.  Orin felt there was no reason to tell either one of them that their meeting this morning wasn’t by chance.  As he watched them, he felt quite comfortable contemplating the possibility of a union between his daughter and one of the few people almost as dear to him as she was.  Balin was one of the people he thought would be capable of taking his place when he retired, if Ichelle would accept him and work with him.  Even now, Orin thought they could accomplish more as a team than any other team in the history of the hall.  In fact he was counting on it.  He waited until after the meal was over, and the work assignments had been announced before approaching them.

         “Well now Ichelle, Balin, were have you two been all morning?  Better yet, what have you been up to that you almost missed lunched?  Hmmm?  Nothing too exciting I would say, considering that Ichelle still has the reports and histories I gave her last night.  Have you had a chance to read them yet, or has Balin kept you busy with other things?”

         “Sir, Ichelle and I were down by the lake, we were talking.  I had gone down there looking for the wayward apprentices reported this morning.”  Balin began to quickly and deferentially explain. 

         “My, you’re inquisitive today.  Had a dull morning or does the thought of two masters off alone always make you so curious as their activities?” She cut him off casually.  “ As to the histories and reports I’ve read through them once, and was beginning to go back through them when I was rather rudely interrupted.  Besides, you never told me why you wanted me to read them, or what I was looking for.  I do occasionally like to know these things, even if you don’t think them important.” She finished. 

Balin gave Ichelle an abashed look for her casual and offhand treatment of Orin.

         “Come you two, into my study with you.  We have several things to discuss.” Orin laughed.  “Balin, don’t look so shocked.  If Ichelle didn’t treat me like that, I’d know that something happened this morning that should concern me far more than you mornings whereabouts and activities do.”  He then turned and led them out into the hallway and upstairs towards his private study.  He didn’t speak again until they had reached the top of the stairs, turned to the right, and began walking down the corridor into the wing that held not only his private apartments, but those of several of the other masters as well, including Ichelle's. 

“I have much to say, but for this afternoon I’ll limit myself to explaining the problem at hand, and seeing what you two think might be the solution.” He began as they entered his study from the main hall.  “I’ll be back shortly, I need to get some things I was reading last night.  Make yourselves at home while I collect my notes from the other room.” He stopped in the doorway to the other room.  “Oh, by the way Ichelle I’d like you to take notes.” 

“Naturally, that’s all anyone thinks I’m good for, but I don’t mind.  At least I’ll find out what’s going on.” She replied jokingly.

Orin smiled good-naturedly at his daughter as he replied “That’s my girl, always making sacrifices for others.  No matter how convenient they are.  Get yourself set up.  I’ll be right back.”  He turned and went into the other room.  He found himself wondering what Balin's reaction would be to such friendly, disrespectful banter would be, and how he would confront Ichelle with her behavior towards her craft master.

************************************

Ichelle walked around the room and examined the things in the comfortably furnished sitting room of Orin’s apartment.  Some of the items in the room were new instruments, others were pieces of art, new books and sheet music; but mostly it was copies of the reports and dispatches Ichelle had been reading since she had come back to the hall.  She ended her quick survey of the room by picking up the new mandolin that was lying on one of the shelves behind Orin’s desk, and sitting down at the desk and starting to play softly while she waited for her father to return.

Balin watched her in disbelief that soon turned to agitation over her disregard of the fact that she was in the Master Minstrel’s apartment, and the things she was handling were his.  As she sat down behind the desk, he approached her.  “What are you doing?  That’s master Orin’s new instrument, and in case you haven’t noticed this is his apartment, not yours.  Not only that, how can you speak to him the way you do?  With such a total lack of respect, I just can’t understand how you can do that.”

“Wait a minute now Balin, what are you getting on about?  If master Orin doesn’t get upset about it, why should you?  Besides he did say we were to make ourselves at home.  Well, at times like this I’m most comfortable playing the best instrument I can find in a room.  So, I’m playing.”

“And I don’t mind her playing it at all.  In fact she’s the only one I’ve ever heard play that instrument, other than myself, who could do it justice.”  Orin said as he reentered the room with a large map and several other pieces of paper.  He noticed their curiosity almost immediately, and began.

“Well now I see that I’ve got your attention, let’s begin.  The reason you are both here is very simple.  Between the two of you, you have the most diverse and complete set of experiences in the hall.  We are going to have to work together on this, and you two are going to have to put your personalities aside.  Balin I’m counting on you to know the current social climate of all the Peels and outlying villages and settlements you’ve been to recently.  Ichelle, you’ve worked very closely with Lord Luzerne, and have learned quite a bit about how the different Lords feel about what is needed to calm the current situation down, and which side they might choose.  You’ve both seen the current reports, and know that if this wedding between Tolyne and Lynder doesn’t take place there will be a serious breach in the balance of power between the Peels and it will only be a matter of time before war breaks out.”  Orin said, all traces of humor now gone from his voice.

“Which are the Peels you specifically interested in?” Ichelle asked quietly.

“Narstrait, Mynaseng, Inirlesand, Feldonsfar, and Mystichorn.” He replied.

“That’s five of the six major Peels.  What about Dragon’s Cove?” Balin asked, shocked that this would involve so many of the major Peels.

“Dragon’s Cove isn’t just an island, it’s an impenetrable fortress when it needs to be.”  Ichelle replied automatically.

“How so?”  Balin asked puzzled.

“Explain it to him Ichelle, you know better than I do anymore.” Orin responded.

“The Peels Keep and main settlement are in a cove, protected by two large cliff walls, with a narrow passage between them.  The rest of the island is a high escarpment, with sheer sea cliff walls.  The flat plateau on top of the escarpment is some of the most fertile and arable land in the Peels.  There is a large spring and runoff fed lake on the plateau, as well as several fresh water springs all over the island, especially within the Peel settlement and Keep area.  Basically, the island can’t be taken by force, and with the livestock and natural resources on the island a siege is impossible.”  She stated matter-of-factly.

“Why can’t they climb the sea cliff walls?  That would be the easiest way onto the island.  You could then come in from behind the Keep and the settlement and take it.”  Balin countered.

“It would be possible, except for one rather large problem, the place is called Dragon’s Cove for a reason.  The dragons nest all over the cliff walls, and they don’t like to be disturbed by people.  The few times they have been disturbed, those who’ve done it have wound up being thrown to their deaths on the rocks at the foot of the cliffs.” Ichelle replied.  “If anything, the other Peel lords are trying to get lord Luzerne to declare for them, That way they have another source of supplies, and a safe place to run to if necessary.  However, I doubt Lord Luzerne would ally himself with either side.  He doesn’t think war is the solution, and he won’t support it in any way.”

“Can you be certain of this?”  Orin asked quietly.  “Do you think he would help us bring this to a peaceful conclusion?’’

“It’s hard to say, probably, but if thinks you’re trying to put one specific group in power, he may pull out or he may fight you on it to balance things out again.” She answered.

“How do you know what Lord Luzerne might do? He just might decide he can take over everything, instead of helping unify the Peels.”  Balin countered.

“No he wouldn’t.  You forget, I’ve spent the past ten years in Dragon’s Cove, and have been involved in his private councils almost since my first day there.  Master Candrel felt I should be able to handle things if he were unavailable, and the only way that was possible was for me to be involved in everything right from the start.  I may not have actively participated at first, only taken notes and observed.”  She smiled sadly, “I think Master Candrel knew he had only a few years left, and wanted to make sure I would be ready when the time came.  If Lord Luzerne won’t help restore peace, he’ll just fortify the island and close it off completely.  He won’t even let refugees in, they might bring the war there with them.”

“Quite right, the main problem at the moment is Lords Edvaard and Averylle.  They are both ready to go to at a moments notice.  If anything happens to prevent, or possibly even postpone this marriage, it will nullify the peace treaty that has been in effect between them for the past sixteen years.”  Orin took over again.  “Balin, you’ve been in both places recently, what is the feeling you get from the people in both Peels?”

“It’s hard to tell, in both cases the common people in both Peels have very diverse opinions about the situation.  I think this might be due to the fact that they don’t really understand what caused the conflict between the two Peels in the first place.”

“You’re right they probably don’t, I’m not sure any one does, it happened so long ago.”  Orin said.

“Don’t you know?  Isn’t there something in the records about it?”  Ichelle asked, startled by Orin’s comment.

“No, I don’t know any more about the cause of this conflict than either of you.  I do know that it has been going for at least the past hundred years.  Since you seem to be so interested in finding out the cause Ichelle, I’m going to assign the task of researching it to you.”  Orin answered her.

“I knew I should've kept my mouth shut.”  She muttered quietly under her breath.

“Perhaps, but I’m not sure that would’ve done you any good my dear.”  Orin said smiling at her.

Ichelle looked across the room at Orin and shook her head in disbelief at his even having heard what she had said.  Let alone having responded to it.  She now knew how Orin had always been aware of so many things when she was growing up.

“What good is knowing the cause of the conflict now.  It probably doesn’t even matter any more what started this.”  Balin interjected, caught off guard by Orin’s response to Ichelle, not having heard her comment.  Balin began to wonder what their relationship was, and what he would be getting himself into if he followed his heart.

“It’s really very simple, if we know what started the conflict, we can explain it to the people.  They can then make their feelings on the matter known to their peel lords much more clearly.  And, if as you theorize Balin, it’s something that really doesn’t matter any longer, they can let their lords also know how foolish they think they are for having kept this conflict going for so long over something inconsequential.”  Orin explained offhandedly.  He continued on, “In the mean time we have to come up with a way to prevent war from starting if the treaty is nullified, and we can’t convince the people of the foolishness of this whole thing in time.  Does either of you have any suggestions?” 

They began trying to map possible ways of resolving the conflict between Mynaseng and Mystichorn without involving any of the other Peels if necessary.  This was rather difficult since most of them were related to each other in one way or another.  They were still trying to work out these contingency plans when the bell in the tower overhead rang calling everyone to dinner.  As they finally left Orin’s study both Ichelle’s and Balin’s heads were swimming with details and unasked questions. Silently they went their separate ways to their apartments.  Balin back the way they had originally come to another wing of the hall entirely, and Ichelle went across the hallway, down just one door from her father’s apartment’s to the same set of apartments she ‘d had since she was twelve, in the front corner of the hall.  She preferred her corner location to his, which was right over the front door into the hall, but he’d had those rooms since just after her mother had died, so they didn’t ‘t come with being elected to the position of Craft Master.  He hadn’t become the Minstrel Craft Master until shortly after Ichelle’s thirteenth birthday. 

************************************

As Ichelle came back out of her room she ran into Orin in the deserted hallway, and he gave her a big hug and put his arm around her. 

“Ah, so how’s my girl doing?  Hmmm?  I know, just fine.  Well what do you think of our ideas?”  He said as they walked toward the stairs.

“For one thing you’re wrong, I’m not fine.”

“Oh, sorry to hear that, what’s the matter?”

“This whole conflict, you do realize the problems it will cause if we can’t find a way to peacefully resolve it.  And what if your idea of telling everyone about the cause of it backfires.  What if it’s rooted in something very important, that’s still relevant today?”

“If my dear, you know me better than that.  We will find a way to resolve this peacefully.”

“And what then?”  She asked stopping just in front of the stairs.

“We will deal with that when the time comes.  For until we know if this is going to be resolved, we can’t effectively plan for the aftermath, now can we.”  Was his fatalistic response.

“Just one last thing.  Why me?  There are several others much better qualified for this than I am, and they have a better understanding of the situation.  And quite frankly I get the impression that Balin would prefer to work alone with you on this.”

“Well, it’s true there are others who might be more qualified than you are, but they don’t have your instincts for questioning things, or putting stray pieces of information together.  Also, I don’t trust them like I trust you ‘Chelle, and you know that.”  Orin answered, hurt that he should have to explain such a thing to her.  “As for Balin, I do trust him, to a point.  He has got a wider range of experiences, and more first hand knowledge of local situations than you do.  But, he is also too impetuous at times, and gets so lost in the details that he can’t see the whole of a situation.” He sighed and directed her down the stairs.  “Come, let’s go down and eat.  You must have some better subject to talk about than this.  I know how are things getting along in Dragon’s Cove?  It’s been what now, four years since Candrel passed away?”

“No, it’s been five very long years.” She answered as they reached the foot of the stairs and turned towards the dining hall.

“Oh dear, it’s been that long.  I meant to send someone out after four years to help you.”  Orin commented, leading her across the dining hall to the masters’ table, and taking his seat.  Making certain that Ichelle was in the seat on his right.

As dinner was being served Ichelle noticed that Balin was missing.  She was about to ask her father if he knew where he was, when he came in and apologized for being late.

************************************

As he spoke, Balin still had a knot in his stomach.  It had gotten there when he saw the way Orin had had greeted Ichelle in the upstairs hallway.  He realized that the way he was feeling was foolish, they’d only just met.  Yet he couldn’t help feeling jealous of the private moment he had accidentally witnessed between the two of them, even without fully understanding it’s meaning.  To Balin it explained completely why Ichelle behaved the way she did with Orin, she was his lover.  He felt disappointed; since they had met that morning he had felt a very strong attraction to her.  He had even caught himself fantasizing about being alone with her several times during the afternoon.  She was the only woman he had ever met who made him feel that way, and that it had happened in so short a time surprised him.  He found himself remembering the many times over the past few years that women seemed to have fallen in love with him as soon as they had met.  He was also now beginning to understand how they felt when he had not been interested.

After dinner Ichelle invited him to join her for a walk.  At first he wanted to say no.  Then he thought that if he was going to be working with her and spending so much time with her in the near future he should start getting used to it now.  No matter how much it hurt. 

************************************

Ichelle stopped and leaned on the low wall that separated the hall’s courtyard from the fields.  Here she could look across the fields and down to the lake, now ablaze with color from the setting sun.  She turned and looked at Balin, standing about ten feet away.  He had his back turned to her, so he could not see the puzzled look on her face.  Ichelle could see that he was grasping his hands so tightly behind his back that his knuckles were white.  It appeared to her that he was afraid he might touch her.  Something had definitely changed between them since this morning.  She did not know what, but she could see and feel that much.  Balin was suddenly very closed to her.  She thought for a few moments, before she finally spoke.

“If your upset about the way I snapped at you after lunch, I’m sorry.  I realize you were only doing what you felt was right.  That you thought I was being nosey and arrogant by looking around and playing Master Orin’s new mandolin.”

“No, I’m not upset about that.  Why, should I be?”  He replied quietly across the distance, finally turning to face her.

“Of course not.  It’s just that something’s bothering you.  I can feel it, it’s like you’ve built a wall around yourself.”

“Nothing’s bothering me.  I was just…thinking.  What was it like to be the only girl growing up here?  With your father being what a journeyman?  Could you tell me, I’d really like to know?”  Balin said eagerly.  As he tried to cover his discomfort at having to speak to her, and not being be able tell her what he really felt.

“You’re certainly full of questions all of a sudden.” She replied a little sarcastically.  “And by the way I wasn’t the only girl here.”

“No”

“No, I had my mother around.” She replied softly, “As well as the other master’s and journeymen's wives and children, and the few lords’ daughters that were here to take classes.  So I was far from the only girl here.  Anyway growing up here was not that much different from growing up in any of the other halls or peels.  Some things were discussed a little more openly here than in other places.  You had access to more books and the information they contained.  You had classes in the morning, chores in the afternoon, in the evening you had free time unless you had a rehearsal, or class work to finish.  Sevday was usually a free day, with a faire as often as possible during the warmer weather.  That’s about it really, not much different from most other places.”  Ichelle finished wishing she could figure Balin out.  This afternoon, even this morning, she could have sworn he was more then a little attracted to her.  That was why she had suggested this walk after dinner, so they could have some time alone away from the hall and the others.

“I thought it would have been a little more exciting then you make it sound.” Balin barked.

His short response cut into her thoughts.  Ichelle noticed he had moved a little closer. 

“I mean with all the big festivals in Mynaseng the hall is expected to provide entertainment for, and Master Orin being here.  You certainly know how to kill a story.  I can’t believe you ever made it past apprentice, let alone all the way to master.  But, I guess we all have our ways of doing things.  Good night Ichelle.”  As he spoke Balin’s voice became tight, as he became even more frustrated by the situation.  In the end he turned and left Ichelle standing at the wall alone.

Ichelle stood there dumbfounded watching him go, trying to figure out what she had said to make him behave that way.  Slowly she turned back to the lake.  As she went to lean down on the wall she noticed her father’s cat sitting on the wall next to her.  “Well Chrystal,” she sighed as she reached out to scratch the cat, “I don’t know about you but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to figure him out.”

“Maybe that’s because you try to hard sometimes.” A voice said softly from behind her.

Startled, Ichelle turned around quickly, “Oh, it’s you father!” she exclaimed.

“Yes, it’s me.  I thought I might find you out here.  Especially after seeing the look on Balin’s face when he came back.  What happened between you two, you seemed to be getting along fine this afternoon.”

“I wish I knew.  He didn’t say anything at all on the walk out here, and just stood over there with his back to me, until I spoke to him.”  She indicated the place where Balin had been standing.  “Then he finally asked me what it was like to grow up here in the hall, I answered him.  He then told me I knew how to kill a good story.  That he didn’t know how I ever made it past apprentice, let alone all the way to master, and left.”

“Hmmm, you’re sure nothing else happened between you, even after you left me this afternoon.  He did seem a little edgy at dinner.” Orin said as he carefully studied his daughter.  He noticed how much she looked like her mother, Celine.  He smiled wistfully to himself at the memory of his late, beloved wife.

“No father, nothing!” she answered him exasperated.  “I know I’m not the most attractive girl around, or even the easiest to like.  But, he really seemed to like me for me, and I felt like I could really care for him.  Almost like I had known him before.  Father what’s wrong with me? Why don’t men find me attractive?” she asked distraughtly.

“There, there now ‘Chelle, don’t cry.”  Orin took his daughter in his arms and hugged her tight.  As he did so he realized how much she had grown since the last time he had seen her.  She was no longer a girl but a woman.  “Well now, stand back and let me look at you.”  He said as he gently pushed her away.  She was taller than most women, but not overly so; and her build was stronger than that of most women also.  She had a nice shape, blond hair a shade or so darker than his, his vibrant and ever changing blue eyes; and her mother’s nose, cheeks, and lips.  The only differences he noticed were that her features were slightly stronger than Celine’s had been, and her lips were a little fuller.  He realized that the overall effect was far more attractive then Ichelle knew.  “Not bad, not bad at all.  In fact I would say most attractive!” He exclaimed.

“Oh really father, I should have known you’d say that.” She cried.  As she turned to leave Orin stopped her with a hand on her shoulder.

“’Chelle,” he said reproachfully, “you know me better than that, I wouldn’t lie to you.  Do you think your mother was attractive?”  She nodded yes.  “Good, because you look a lot like her.  Oh, there’s some of me that shows through, like your hair and eye color, but all in all you mostly take after you mother.  If you don’t believe me, go take a good long look at yourself in a looking glass and see.”

“Thank you!” she exclaimed, and gave him a quick hug before running back to the hall.

Orin turned back to the wall and looked out at the lake; with the moon now just starting to rise reflected in it’s calm surface, and smiled to himself.  Chrystal came over and rubbed up against him, he reached over and picked her up.

"That’s quite a girl I’ve got, eh Chrystal.  I’ll bet you Celine would be very proud of her, what do you think?”  Chrystal looked at him and meowed.  Orin laughed, “C'mon girl, it’s time to go home now.”  With that he turned and walked back to the hall.

************************************

Balin slowly turned away from the window of his room, where he had seen everything that had passed between Ichelle and Orin.  Still thinking they were lovers, the scene he had just witnessed only seemed to confirm this conclusion.  With his frustration growing Balin muttered to himself, “She may be yours for now Master Orin; but in the end she’ll be mine, not yours,” as he left his room to head into Mynaseng, needing to talk to an old friend.

************************************
© Copyright 2010 Sunmaid (men2cats at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683642-Ichelle-working-title