*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684345-The-Rain
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1684345
random, one off piece, written in 15 minutes.
Dreary November. The dull sky subtly rumbled, clouds above rolling and tumbling about, impregnated with rain soaked up from countless lakes and seas, too numerous for even the gods to count. Then, with a flash of lightning, the first drop fell from the heavens, accelerating ever faster towards the earth, driven by the intangible effects of gravity; it would soon be accompanied by many thousands of droplets, but this, this lone globule of water, was important; it had the power to begin life, or end it. Fate alone knew which of the two it was, but this droplet, this miniscule dot containing one part Hydrogen, 2 parts oxygen, would play it's part regardless, an unthinking tool in the endless cycle of nature, that great force which dictates how the world goes on. And so it fell from on high, the muddy, depressing grey mass above it seeming all the more insidious each passing moment. The wind shifted the raindrop ever so slightly,but enough to maneuver the fated landing point many miles. It's path seemingly random, yet decided many millenia before, stabilized itself, and the drop continued to fall. The ground was in sight now, all around was water, save for a thin, curved stone, curious from such a height, but no natural object; it was a product of man, and as the raindrop careened towards the Earth, it could be seen to be a dam, storing millions upons millions of gallons of water back from a city unseen. The drop finds its target: a crack, so small, and yet so significant, unfixed and unseen for decades; the water pentrates, filling the crevace and pushing gently out, then magnified ten-million fold, splitting the crack further and further apart, the concrete now working against itself, tearing asunder despite all the years of toil and energy spent creating it. The weight of the water behind it became too great; the crack gave way to a hole, maybe 1 inch in diameter, but a hole, no less; the water rushed to fill the absence, eroding and pushing, pushing and eroding. 1 inch gave way to 3, and 3 gave way to 12, until the entire dam was jettisoned from where it stood, the shattered debris speeding hurriedly downstream towards civilization. A sound of thunder: Down came the Rain.
© Copyright 2010 11BulletCatcher (11bulletcatch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684345-The-Rain