*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684465-The-Dark-Side
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Psychology · #1684465
A short psychological story about a man fighting, what he perceives as his inner demon.
The Dark Side


The person in the mirror is staring back at him with hateful eyes…He puts his hands under the cold water, and gently clears the grains of sleep still hanging on his face. He avoids looking at himself and leaves that awful place. It has been so long since he could not look at himself in the mirror. It is actually strange that a gentle soul as his could not find the light to shine in his reflection.


He puts his clothes on and leaves the shallow apartment. On his way down thoughts keep running through his head… It has been so long since that day and he was not the same man. Although he was a good student he dropped his studies in the final year, justifying his decision on the fact that he was to smart to waste his time on such foolish things…he was to strong not to make it on his own. Illusions of a great future still cloud his head, yet he remains the unusual calm individual he has been since he could remember.
As he is right about to exit the building a staring face attracts his attention. He can barely see the image of an 30 year old man with strong features and gentle eyes, while a voice echoes around him "Oh…hello".


But his mind is too busy to even notice. He sketches a faint smile, his eyes turn away and he continues on his own separate journey. He really does not know where he is going but, he feels much better knowing that he is allowed to roam free in the city, to escape the room that has long been a prison for him rather than home. With his mind busy of ideas and ideals he carefully walks by each place that was ever important to him. He arrives at the bar he used to come to with his long lost friends; for a moment his eyes stop at it’s doors and a urge to enter there starts controlling his body. He shivers a bit and carries on as if nothing had happened. One by one he passes his old hang out places and for each one the same shivers keep coming back to life in him for brief moments…


He finally arrives at that place, the place where he meet her. I know because I was there and I saw everything. There are certain privileges to be one such as me… He sits on a bench in front of an old building that used to be a nice place many years ago. Of course the passing of time not only marked him, but that place as well. Now nothing lives here, no one can be seen walking around, hanging out…no voices to make him fell warm. And suddenly her voice comes to mind. The heart starts pounding ready to burst from his chest, the arms and legs shaking… I must come out! This is my chance...
His eyes turn red and a numb feeling is taking over his hands and feet. He knows it is about to happen and gets agitated, it has been so long since we have meet, and I must say that I’m really excited. For some reason he does not seem to be as happy as me. The blood starts pumping hard and veins begin to show themselves on his forehead and neck…but I am too late, he still has the power to keep me here. For so long he has fought to keep me here that from the hatred I used to feel for him I now feel that he has become so close that I could read his thoughts.



The truth is that from that day he started to loose ground in front of me.
I respect his initiative … after all this time he still puts up with me. And for what? I have always been here to aid him, but he refused my help. Of course my methods are not as gentle as his but I get the job done. I remember he used to consider me a part of his nature, now I’m nothing more that a demon fighting to take over his body. I still don’t like his perspective on me …but hey no one is perfect.


He sits there for hours in a row. He does not regret any decisions he made, he just likes to remember her as she was back then, all for him...not like these days when she is held close in the soul of another. I regret that. If in that instance he would have set me free I would have made the right choice.





After so many years he still sits on that bench. I have laid dormant in him for this period, after 50 years of living together it is now my turn to rule him. He fought me for so long that he could not have any strength left to resist me this time. I put my hands around his head and start pressing with all my strength. A sharp pain passes form on temple to the other. He opens his mouth hopping to scream for help but no sounds can come out. And the last fight begins. His muscles shiver and his heart beats slower and slower, a maelstrom of thoughts cover his judgment, and images of his lost ones appear in front of his eyes. I keep whispering into his ears things only I know about who he really is…I fell him weakened, unworthy to hold me back…this time I’m going to win… I have been held in this prison for so long... seeing him destroying his pathetic existence that I’m going to make everything right once I’m out. His life ends today.


If he had let me get out in those moments I would have solved every issue in his life, I had the power to take decisions and change both our fates … but now it is too late.
With his last powers he grabs my arms in an effort to cast me aside…I’m too strong, no one can stop me now. As my final gesture I project a image of her in his mind…I may be a demon but I’m not a bastard, my final gift for him, not that this is permitted. I lift him in the air and gaze in his eyes, her image is still there… Good, this means we can get started…


I put him in my place and come into the sun. My new face is now that of a rabid wolf, with my teeth clenched and my eyes fixing the future, ready to attack…I seem to like this stance, I haven't seen it for so long…
Today I fix everything …
He falls to the ground... his red eyes still hold a image of her…we are dead...
© Copyright 2010 Richard (vladu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684465-The-Dark-Side