*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1685541-The-Paper-Princess
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1685541
A mother, born of royalty, has to make a choice that affects her child.
      Once upon a far time ago there lived a race of people who were ruled by a much beloved royal family. All those born from this royal family had a unique trait that no other family line had ever had.  They could leave their bodies and walk around the countryside much like ghosts.  However, as in any special talent, there was a price to pay.  In this case, whenever any royal person left their body, their body was left flat and was much like parchment.
    This "parchment" would have to rolled up and guarded with great care; it was as easy to destroy as regular parchment.  The elements of fire, water, and wind could easily render the scrolls useless. If it were destroyed, the person it belonged to would be left with no "home" in which to come back. And that person would roam the country as a ghost.
    Every royal child, before they could even read, was taught about the care of these parchments.  The royal tutors would show them with paper just what kind of  damage could be done from not only the elements, but also from an uncareful hand or a sharp tool.  Additionally, every child would be told dark, sorrowful stories about those who had left their scroll bodies in the unwise care of someone and had been left to roam forever as a ghost.
    Now, into this royal family was born a special girl; her name was Alyssabelle.  Alyssabelle was known for many things- her kind heart, gentle ways,and a very strong spirit.  But what what people noticed most of all were her eyes.  Her eyes changed colors with her moods. She grew up learning, as every child, the care of parchment and then onto reading and writing and finally how to run the country.   
    Eventually, Alyssabelle fell in love with a young man, Cathal, from a neighboring district.  Her father thought that the marriage would bring the two districts closer together forming a stronger bond.  But not everyone was happy with the union and soon an argument turned into a battle and the battle turned into the war that had been going on for the past 10 years.
      Alyssabelle and Cathal gave birth to a son, Caedmon, at the beginning of the war.  He grew up as did all others before with the tutors' knowledge; but his mother instilled within him a sense of urgency since he was the first war-born child.  Soon after Caedmon's tenth birthday his father left to try make peace with his family of birth for the sake of his son.
    But a month had grown to two and Alyssabelle grew concerned about her husband.  She knew that sending diplomats from her court might intensify the war and that was the last thing that she wanted to do.  What she really needed was to be able to go to her husband's old homeland in secrecy. And the only way to do that was to entrust her body parchment to Caedmon.
    What a thing to think...her son, though wise and responsible, was only ten!  Yet there was no one she could trust more.  It would be a very short time  that she would have to travel silently as a ghost: the added benefit of not being seen convinced her.  So she began refreshing Caedmon's lessons and praying that this was the right choice.
      The time came that she was convinced that Caedmon knew all that he should and she said her goodbyes to Caedmon, reminding him to not only hide the fact that she was gone but to keep safe the parchment.  She reminded him that she would only be gone a few hours and kissed his forehead, telling him how much she loved him as she slipped out of her body.
      Caedmon was very diligent in his duties.  He rolled up her parchment kept hidden his mother's scroll. Even when a couple of the courtiers came by asking to speak to his mother, he told them that she was sleeping.  But a few short hours to an adult is almost an eternity to a child and soon Caedmon's attention was drawn away by a bejeweled bug and he forgot briefly about his duties as he followed the bug down the hall.
      Meanwhile, his mother mother was on her way home with sorrow in her heart because she discovered that her husband had been executed for treason in his old homeland.  She wanted to get home quickly for fear something would happen to Caedmon.  Caedmon finally remembered his duty and ran back to his room-- only to find his mother's parchment in shreds upon his bed.
    Who could have done this!  How could he let this happen?  His mother had entrusted him!  He had let his mother down; he had let his country down.  Caedmon collapsed into an angry heap on the floor ashamed at what he had allowed to happen.  And it was this scene that his mother's ghost came upon.  So great was her own sorrow.  How could she have done this to her child? 
    Alyssabelle knew that Caedmon had been given a task too large for someone so young.  But now she had no way to comfort him- to protect him.  She needed to get him away from the palace until she could find the traitor within her own staff.  She also could sense each and every feeling with which Caedmon  was dealing.  As she tried to wrap her ghostly arms around her son, Alyssabelle shed her own tears.  She pleaded with the angels to allow her to protect her son.
    Softly, she began to hum to him.  It was if he could hear her.  Could the angels have granted her a miracle?  Caedmon soon quieted and Alyssabelle tried to touch him once again but her fingers passed right through.  Then, with great effort, Alyssabelle tried speaking, warning him of the urgency that he needed to leave the castle.  He did not appear to hear her but a few seconds later, she heard Caedmon say softly to himself that he needed to leave his home to get somewhere safe. 
    Soon he gathered a few belongings and started for the doorway.  He turned at the door, looking back briefly at the damaged parchment.  Raising his head, he called softly to his mother's ghost.  He said quietly, "I hope you understand, mom."  Alyssabelle used all the strength and power she had and whispered in his ear, "I understand, my love, and I will always be with you."  To Alyssabelle's surprise, Caedmon replied, "thanks mom.  Now where do we go?"
   
© Copyright 2010 tiggerlyss (tiggerlyss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1685541-The-Paper-Princess