*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686032-The-True-Meaning-of-Yule
Rated: E · Fiction · Cultural · #1686032
This story is about family tradition around Yule Time, sharing, and life's lessons.
The True Meaning of Yule

Have you ever wondered why your parents always told you that giving gifts was far better than receiving and that you should give everyone in the family gifts…

What is the meaning of Yule you ask? Can anyone tell me? Is it making gifts for family? NO? Is it stringing popcorn and cranberries, singing Christmas carols around the fireplace? NO!

Well Christmas has become so commercialized, video games, high tech computers, flat screen T.V's, new funky gadgets to make life easy and if you ask me, I'd say detached and lazy!  What is this day and age coming to? What happened to the true meaning of Yule? Make money, fill your pockets, buy stocks and live high off the hog. Money, money, money! Whatever happened to the sleigh rides, the skating parties, hot chocolate with marshmallows swimming on the top like clouds? Old time traditions, family gatherings, love and caring, the big turkey dinner with stuffing, yams, home baked desserts. Not Swiss Chalet or Red Lobster! Gift certificates, I dislike with a passion!

I’ll tell you a Yule story of when I was a wee lad. When the Yule season came around, my little sister and I would wait with such childlike anticipation. As the day grew nearer, we would giggle and laugh and dream of what Santa would bring us, the snow would fall, we would make snowmen and have snowball fights. It was so much fun.

One day we were talking about what Santa would bring us for Yule, I wanted a pop gun, and my sister wanted a little glass dolly that she saw in the magazine. Little did we know that our dad and granddad were listening outside the door, so that they could hear every word we had to say. Dad was starting to wonder if we would ever learn the true meaning of Yule.

It was Dec. 15, 1952, and the Saturday that was coming up, was the day we all went to the woods to cut down our tree. Little sister was giggling and running through the trees saying, “ This tree no, that tree!”, just being a girl. I was feeling quite grown up with father and granddad as we carried our axes, and mom was beaming as she always did when we were all together as a family.

We kept looking around until I spotted a six footer, and a grand tree it was. Dad, granddad, and I took turns as we chopped it down. After the tree fell, we tied it to the make shift sling that was harnessed to the back of Becky, our mare and dragged it home, with sis in tow on the sling for the ride. At supper time, the snow had started to gently fall and the icicles sparkled as they hung on our windows. Father stoked up the fireplace for the night, while mom and sis did up the dishes. Granddad rocked in his old rocker, smoking his pipe as he enjoyed a good smoke after supper. When all the chores were tended to, we sat down at the table and started to make Christmas ornaments for our tree.

Sister was making snowflakes, while I was helping mom string popcorn and cranberries. Father was leveling the tree, so it would stand straight and Granddad was giving rocking chair instructions, and he was quite good at that. When the tree was done, the last thing to go on was the star. That had been my job, to top the tree with the star before my sister came along and seeing her top the tree made me smile. That was something I had handed down to her and she enjoyed every minute of it.

After we had trimmed the tree, it was time to turn in. We had a long day ahead of us in the morning, because one of our mares were getting ready to give birth and this was her first. As we knelt by our beds to say our prayers, I looked out the window and saw a shooting star. I quickly wished that I would get everything I asked for, and then in my prayers I asked again. Little did I know my father was listening outside our bedroom door, still I didn’t know he had been listening. The days were drawn nearer and the next day was the 20th of December.

We woke early the next morning to the smells of mom cooking our Yule dinner for the next day. Granddad was already out back trying to catch the turkey we had raised all year, and that was quite the sight to see. The smell of cornbread and apple dumplings filled the house and everything smelled delicious.

Father and I gathered all the things we would need for the mare, clean rags, pails of boiled water and rubber gloves. I was very excited; this was my first birthing too! By the time we gathered everything it was 7:30 a.m. and when we entered the barn the mare was already in distress. She was having twins. With one out already, father told me to heat the rags with the hot water and rub down the foal to keep it warm. The second foal was stuck with its leg twisted up inside and the it was growing weak. As father broke the sack from around the foal’s nose, it gasped for air and it was growing weak still.

I tried to hide the tears, but I couldn’t. Father was wiping sweat from his brow, when he noticed I was on my knees, holding the foal to keep it warm and praying out loud. I was saying, “ Please Divine, I will do anything if you let the foal live. I will give all my presents away, no, I don’t ever want presents! Just please let the foal live.

My father was growing tired and the mare didn’t have much life left in her. It had been hours since we first went out to the barn. Granddad came in to help father out and the two raced against time, but time ran out and the mare died. However, for some amazing reason the foal slipped out. We all stared at each other in shock, then we immediately tended to the foals.

We returned to the house around 6:00 p.m. not saying a word to each other. Mom knew by our faces that there was bad news. Everyone was silent at the supper table, then I asked, “ Father, why did the Divine let the mare die and the foals live? I prayed to save the foals, but I didn’t think the Divine would take the mother. The foals need their mother, so what are they going to do now?"
Father replied, “ Son, I have been listening to you the past weeks and I didn’t think you knew the meaning of Yule. You were always wanting, wanting and wanting, and I was growing disappointed in you, but tonight you made me proud! In your prayers you were willing to give up your presents if the Divine would answer your prayers and they were answered. There is a reason the mare was taken, but we won’t understand this reasoning. Sacrifices have to be made at times, son, and this was one of them. She sacrificed her life so her twins would live, and you sacrificed your presents so the foals would live. You both gave from your hearts just as the Divine does. It is better to give then to receive! Remember that son!"

My mother wiped a tear from her eye as she served up dessert. That day had finally ended as I put my tired body to bed. I said my prayers of thanks and drifted off to sleep. The next morning the smells from the kitchen woke me up, and at the end of my bed was my stocking filled with goodies. I grabbed it and ran downstairs from the loft and was shocked to find all my presents I has asked for and then some. I ran to father and gave him a huge hug and began to open my gifts. To me, that was the true meaning of Yule and I have told that story to all my grand kids, so that they would know the true meaning also.

By the way, sis still likes to ride on the back of the sling when we chop our tree down every Yule and this year 2010 will be no different.
Ameasha Brown
© Copyright 2010 Ameasha Brown (willowhawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686032-The-True-Meaning-of-Yule