*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686491-American-Villages
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1686491
a story about a man learning to be self sufficient
"American Villages"


"Give a man a fish and you feed him but for a day.  Teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."


A body needs fuel.  The fuel for the body is food which I am in very short supply of, right now.  I was hoping I would have enough food (fuel) to get to my next destination but I have not seen habitation for days now.  If I don't find an outpost soon, I am going to be in a really bad way for food.  Finally, I see smoke coming from a little hut.  Getting closer, I see that the hut is situated on the outskirts of a village.  Relief overwhelms me.  As I enter the village, my first thought is to get something to eat from one of the many booths set up at the Farmer's market.  I went to the first stall which had bread for sale.  I inquired of the price for the bread.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  The vendor wanted sixty dollars for a loaf of bread!  When I expressed my surprise at this, the vendor stated that perhaps I could come back tomorrow for the price of her bread may be cheaper.  She told me that the prices of food changed here all the time.  Some days food would be affordable and some days people have to choose to go hungry because they can't afford the price.  I asked the vendor why she and all the other vendors did this and she replied "because we can".  I thought, That's it!  That's all!  Because we can???!!!!  I then asked the vendor if she felt bad about that and she replied, "No, we simply have to get the most money we can so that we can get richer.  Isn't that what everybody wants?  Besides, we heard that in one great country, this was what they were doing with their fuel.  Well, they call it oil but same thing, right?  So we followed suit.  Maybe we could become a superpower too.  What's wrong with that?  If one of the greatest countries on the planet was doing this, it can't be a bad thing, right?"  I was so disgusted by her attitude, I just walked away.  Greedy bitch!
I had no more luck at all the other booths either.  I just could not afford the price of food here.  Should I wait (or in my case, go hungry another day) to see if the price went down?  I pondered this dilemma as I walked around the village seeing people go hungry.  I happened upon a young man that seemed to be fending for himself because he walked out of the woods that surrounded the village,  with a string of fish and a couple of rabbits.  I followed him for a short while until we came upon his house and I saw that he had a vegetable garden.  Now,  here is a guy that has beaten the system by being self sufficient.  I wondered, "could I do the same?" So I approached the man and asked, first, 'could I please have just a bite of your food for I am starving' and second, I asked him to show me how to be self sufficient by teaching me the skills he obviously acquired for himself so that he would not be dependent on the Farmer's market vendors.  So first, he willingly shared his bounty and then he took me fishing, hunting, and gardening.  We ate very well even though people chided that we would get sick from our food because it was not 'treated'.  No matter, we enjoyed a daily feast and they did not.  Well, I had grown my own food, smoked my fish and my meat and told my savior that I had to go.  I certainly had enough food to complete my journey.  I thanked him and then we had a going-away feast.


I walked on for days.  I was getting pretty tired but I had a destination to get to.  Unfortunately, many days brought rain and the air was getting colder as well.  I began to feel a cold coming on.  Great!  I hoped I didn't get sick before I reached the next village.  So I trudged on and the cold got worse.  I didn't know if I was going to make it.  I felt like I might pass out.  With all my strength, I willed myself to get to the village and finally, I made it. Oh, I felt terrible but at least I made it.  I found a place to sit down until I regained enough strength to head over to the village hospital.  When I got there and described my symptoms, I was told that someone would see me but that I needed an item called 'special privilege card' before they could treat me for my illness.  I did not have this so I was told to sit and wait.  I was there for hours and I saw many, who came after me, go in to see the doc.  I guess they had that 'special privilege card' that allowed them to be moved up in the que.  I approached the nurse with my dissatisfaction in watching people go in before me and she simply said that because I did not a have that 'special privilege card', I was being passed over.  I asked the nurse if she knew where I could get a card and she told me that I would not qualify for a card because of my hair color.  She suggested that I go across the street to a cafe, call an ambulance to pick me up, and wait in the cafe until it came.  The ambulance would take me right in.  She told me that that was the only way I was probably going to get seen since ambulance arrivals in the ER take precedent over the waiting room and besides, by law, they HAVE to administer treatment.  I asked the nurse if an ambulance was expensive and she told me that an ambulance ride to the hospital would probably be about $1,000.00 and I would be forced to pay it.  I wondered how I was going to do that but I felt so bad at the time, I didn't care.  I was too sick.  I figured I would deal with it later when I got the bill.  So I did what she told me and sure enough, I got treated.  Boy, that nurse knows her stuff.  She was really smart.  I wondered if other people were privy to this 'work-around-the-system-tactic-for-getting-medical-care-when-you-didn't-have-a-'special-privilege-card' idea.  I didn't know what I was going to do with the bill.  I simply could not pay it.  I went to the hospital to tell them that I did not have the money to pay the bill.  The hospital billing receptionist stated that they would have to 'write it off' whatever that meant.  Out of curiosity, I asked the receptionist if it would have been cheaper for them to have treated me in the ER instead of, out of desperation on my part, called an ambulance.  She said, 'absolutely'.  I was dumbfounded at the stupidity of the situation.  I just didn't get it.  I guess  she didn't either.  Wow!  There had to be a better way than this.  So I opened my mind to finding out what that was.  I finally happened upon a shop of natural remedies for illness.  The lady there helped me shop for alternative solutions to my medical predicament.  I had always heard that docs didn't trust herbal remedies.  I kinda figured they wouldn't because if people started taking responsibility for their health by way of natural solutions, the doc wouldn't be needed (except in dire circumstances, of course)  and he/she would not have as many 'customers'.  It would be a major economic hit to the business of toxic medicine, not only for docs, but also for the folks that made the medicine with all the side effects.  I wondered how this could be any worse than taking herbs not FDA approved.  Besides, herbal medicine was cheaper, more accessible, and didn't take years to get to the market.  So I loaded up on herbs before I set out on the next leg of my journey.


It wasn't long before I came to another village.  This one was not on my map for some reason but I'm glad that I stopped all the same.  It was a beautiful place.  Its architecture was stunning.  I loved castles and cathedrals.  This place seemed to have all of this.  It was so academic and quiet.  Thinking that I could use a break from my journey, I ventured into the local library.  I thought maybe I would do some research on getting to my destination.  When I walked inside, I was amazed.  Now this is what I would call my church, for surely there was greatness of mind and spirit here.  As I perused through several books in several places, I started to get an idea.  Maybe I could stop my journey temporarily and stay here a bit and enjoy the scenery.  Looking through several of the books I checked out, it seemed I could get an education for getting a really cool job.  I inquired about this very subject with the librarian and she told me that I would first have to go to the 'primary' school to get basic education principles before I could apply for the university education.  Did she say apply?  I asked if one could get an education by simply paying for it and she told me that I had to get high enough marks at the primary school in order to qualify for a possible acceptance of my request to pay for the education and go there.  This was a first for me.  I had never before encountered having to be scrutinized in order to pay for something.  Usually when I wanted to buy something, I could just buy it, not qualify to buy it.  Always before, the vendor took my money and didn't ask any questions.  He/she was just glad to get the cash.  Oh well.  So I carried on and checked myself into a primary school.  When I got there, I was horrified.  This place was dump!  And where was the teacher?  Class was supposed to have started fifteen minutes ago, although I didn't see how the teacher was going to teach this unruly crowd.  It turned out that the teacher had to take a student to the office for having a plastic fork with which to eat his salad that day for lunch.  Apparently, the rules were that you had to eat with your hands or you would get kicked out of school.  Man, I was glad that I took a sandwich that day or the same thing might have happened to me.  They really took the idea of 'weapons' very seriously at this school although I didn't see how a plastic fork could be a weapon since it would probably break if it was actually used as a 'weapon'.  Then I thought about that whole 'weapon' thing.  Could these people really believe that a plastic fork could be a weapon?  If so, what were they doing teaching these kids when these kids knew that a plastic fork couldn't hurt anybody?  I mean, who was smarter?, right?  It seemed to me that fear had made the adults stupid and because of this, the kids actually seemed to be the smarter group.  But I just kept that to myself.  I didn't want to get on anybody's radar and be accused of whatever they could think of next.  Then there was a teacher that had go to the hospital due to an assault by a student here at the school.  They kicked the student out of school but I wondered what the student would do outside the school?  Wouldn't that student be more of a threat outside the school than inside?  I was told that it was to protect the other students from him while they were in school.  I wondered, "okay but what about after school?" No answer.  I thought to myself, aren't they just giving the kid what he wants, his freedom to wreck havoc elsewhere while his poor single mother had to worry about what kind of trouble her son would be gettting into while she worked her two jobs? Finally, things quieted down a bit and I was hoping to start my 'primary' education.  After a while, I began to realize that I really wasn't learning anything of value.  The only things we were learning was 'how to pass equivalency tests' that the village required everyone to pass which by my standards was just the bare bones basics.  How was I going to qualify for a university education if I couldn't get a good foundation of knowledge with which to build upon, at the university?  The education I was supposed to get at this 'primary' school wasn't much of a challenge so I went back to the library and asked the librarian if I could just 'test out' and prove that I could handle a university course load knowing what I already knew. 
She told me that I could do that and then she proceeded to show me the cost of the testing and the university education.  I couldn't believe what I was looking at.  The cost of this venture was way over what I could afford.  She offered some suggestions like going into the military and serving for a couple of years and in return for service, and they would pay for my education.  But she leaned in and spoke in a whisper, and informed me that only a third of those really got that benefit because the military would find some reason for discharging them right at the time the student was finishing their obligatory service term to get the benefit.  It was something they had to do to keep the costs down and still get people to serve in the military because the village needed its military.  Without it, the village wouldn't exist.  I thought to myself, then why are they getting by with this?  People should stop going into the military until the military can absolutely promise to give these folks an education rather than duping them over some minor offense so the military wouldn't have to pay for the benefit.  I made up my mind I was not going to go that route.  I asked the librarian if she had any other suggestions.  She told me that I could get a scholarship but that it would take fours years to get because I had to go through the whole 'primary' school fiasco to get it and that was slim to none.  Then she mentioned that I could get a student loan.  The down side of that was paying it back, which would take as long as the first half of my working life to accomplish. Geez!  Maybe an education isn't such a good thing.  I mean all I was trying to do was show some initiative, ambition, and willingness to be a needed, integral part of society.  So I went back to the books with the thought that maybe I could just educate myself.  After all, I could read.  One day, when I was researching a particular subject, I happened upon some online courses that looked interesting to me.  They didn't cost that much plus I could get certification and even a degree by completing the coursework in an online program and the only requirement was that I pay for it.  Now that is what I am used to, paying for something and getting it (hopefully) without qualifying for shelling out my hard earned dough.  I mean, do you go into a department store, pick up a pair of shoes, go to the register to pay for them, only to have the salesperson tell you that you had to qualify to pay for them?  It seems that people ought to be able to decide for themselves if they are smart enough to take certain classes.  I mean, the university would still make money and the student would learn what his/her limits and interests were.  (I think this is what usually happens in the freshman year anyway - except, of course, you have to qualify for spending a year in college, not knowing what you want to do, flunking out because for the first time, you are away from your parents, and could do what you wanted to do and of course, that was to party, (for there was always a party going on somewhere) instead of going to class and studying for exams).  I thought to myself that the online education was probably a better deal.  I could go at my own pace (which for me was a little faster unless it was something really hard and then I could take my time), there were no loud parties going on while I tried to study, no temptation to put off my studying to go parties, no overpaid, tenured 'professors' who had their graduate students do their teaching with the added privildge of putting their name on a graduate's researched, written, and published paper, while they collected a lucrative salary.  There were no lines at registration, full classes that prevented me from taking the course, and moving all of my stuff somewhere else.  And I could stay in my pajamas!  So I continued my studies, got my certification and my degree and set out for the 'land of many great jobs' that I was promised if I got an education, not to mention that the job would also come with one of those 'special privilege cards' required, only in this country, to get medical care when I got sick and so I wouldn't die.  I mean that was pretty important to me.


When I got to that place, I soon realized that I had been had.  I had been duped.  The Village of Opportunity did not live up to it's name.  Armed with an education, I confidently went to the job corp office.  I wanted to apply for an apothecary position for I had studied extensively and received my certification in homeopathic medicine.  I wanted to help other people avoid the crisis I found myself in earlier with the 'must-have-a-'special-privilege'-card-to-get-treatment' thing.  I was told that there were no jobs in my chosen field at this particular time.  I guess I would just keep looking.  Surely, I would find something.  After approximately three months of residing here in the 'land of opportunity', I began to realize that the jobs I wanted had been set up in another country where apparently, apothecaries didn't get paid as much.  Dumbfounded, I found myself having to seek other means of work.  The only problem was, all of the lower paying jobs were taken.  They were taken, not by my fellow countrymen, but by foreigners who were willing to take less money for their services.  I don't know how they lived on such low pay.  All I know was that they sent it back to their country to their families and the families lived like kings, while I could not afford even a hovel in which to rest my 'weary-from-looking-for- a-job' head.  Then I was really angry when I heard that these foreigners got one of those 'special privilege' cards when they got the jobs.  I realized that I had spent a great deal of my money to get an education that didn't mean a hill of beans here.  I thought about all those people that were duped into thinking you had to get high marks in a lousy 'primary' school, go to a really prestigious and expensive school that probably costs close to $200,000.00 for an education, realize that they had the same degree I had but for alot less money, and then found themselves unable to find a job.  I mean, it could be worse, right?  Since that kinda made me feel better, I started walking around and came to this craft market they had set up.  It was really cool.  There was alot of pretty hand-made items, practical tools and gadgets that every day folks needed but couldn't afford from the big vendors, and positive attitudes about being in business for yourself.  It seemed that all the people selling their wares were pretty happy about their lives.  They enjoyed making their own way, their own money, and their own goods.  I decided that I wanted a piece of that.  So I tucked away my certificate and asked if I could apprentice with an herbalist that seemed to have a very successful business.  She invited me to her place for dinner and I saw that she lacked for nothing at her beautiful residence.  I stated to her that it must be pretty expensive to keep up such a beautiful place.  She replied to me by saying that it really didn't cost that much because after three years from the time she had it built, she had been able to pay it off. 
Wow!  I was really happy at her being willing to take me on as her apprentice.  Maybe, someday, I would have something like this if I worked hard enough.  The odds were certainly better than what I thought an education would provide.  After some years of training and working under my mentor, I had a really good grasp of homeopathic medicine in the real world.  I told my teacher that I intended to move on so that I could help more people.  She was very supportive and sent me on my way.  I don't know if I could have ever thanked her enough.  She said that my helping people was enough of a 'thank you' for her because she taught me all that she knew and I was passing that knowledge along in helping people attain wellness and happier lives. 

I had made quite a bit of money for myself working as an apothecary when I set out.  I planned to have an apothecary of my own when I found the right place to settle down.  I was really looking forward to it.  I had my head in the clouds and didn't notice their approach.  Three men accosted me right there on the road and demanded I give them everything I had worked so hard to attain.  I had to choose whether I would give up everything and live or resist and die.  I figured I could always try to get back what I worked for but I wouldn't get another life.  It was a no brainer.  They took everything, my tools, my food, my herbs, and my money.  Everything.  Just like that.  After waking up from a blow to my head, I had no choice but to get back up and start walking again.  When I got to the village, I saw the three men that took my stuff.  They had probably already spent my money but maybe I could get the rest of my stuff.  I went to find a guard and had them arrested.  I was able to recover my tools, clothes, and food.  They didn't know what to do with my tools, they could not fit into my clothes, and they did not like the food I packed.  However, they did, in fact, spend all of my money and they used up all of my herbs, especially the ones that helped people with pain.  They obviously used those herbs, not only to lessen the physical pain they were intended for, but also to get the euphoric side effect that enhanced their roistering debauchery.  They did not put up much resistance.  It looked as though they had done this many times before.  I wondered if that were the case, why are they out of jail?  A trial date was set before the magistrate of the village and it was there that I hoped to achieve justice.  But justice was not in the cards for me because one of the hooligans had a special talent that the village protected at all costs.  He was their jousting champion and he brought lots of the King's prize money to the village.  These men thought they were above the law and I began to think they were right.  This was totally unacceptable to me.  If this 'champion' won lots of money, then he owed me some of it and I vowed I would have it.  I was not going to get justice in this village.  I was going to have to get it myself.  But I needed a plan.  It didn't take long for me to come up with one.  I went out to the forest and retrieved some Senna, Psyllium seed, and marshmallow root.  My plan was to make the noble 'champion' sick, using the Senna, before the next competition.  Then I was going to announce that I had the cure but that it would cost the same amount of money that was stolen from me.  I knew he would get that I was taking revenge but I had the upper hand.  Our so-called 'champion' didn't know squat about herbs.  I was also going to charge another amount that he would have to pay for all of my lost herbs as well.  It was easy the first time, sneeking into his tent and adding the senna to his food.  Then when he got sick, I show up with a very costly cure.  What choice did he have? He paid it and I left with my retrieved, stolen money.  However, I still had to get enough cash to replenish my herb stocks.  He wasn't as easily fooled and took some time for me to slip some more senna in his drink at the tavern where there was celebrating the latest champion's victory.  I had to go in disguise but no matter, I was soon called again and I charged the same price with the little added bonus of leaving the village.  That was agreeable, so I got my money, purchased my herbs from the village apothecary, and started on my way. 


After much traveling on my own, I was ready to settle down and start living a simple, yet good life.  I longed for companionship in the community.  A couple of people in the next village I had come to, invited me to their church one evening for song and prayer.  I gave it a shot but I really didn't care for it too much.  I found it pretty boring and besides, I must have been the youngest person there.  When Sunday rolled around, I was asked again to go to church on sunday morning by the same two people I had met.  I told them that I was sorry but that I really needed to go and see someone that was really sick.  With frowns on their faces they told me that it was a sin to work on sundays.  I told them that I didn't consider helping someone get well, as work.  I never heard from them after that.  Besides, I didn't want to get up at the crack of dawn, don fancy, uncomfortable clothing, and sweat profusely in them to go to a place where I was supposed to feel comfortable.  Besides, normally sunday was my day off except in cases where people really needed my help in some way.  I didn't think god would mind me skipping church service for that.  I figured I would just pray when I got home or even while I was working.  That made more sense.  Maybe god would work through me to help a person get well. 
There was another church in the village that caught my eye though.  It seemed to have a little more to offer in terms of enlightened conversation, relaxed atmosphere, and what looked like a genuine sense of fellowship.  So I started going there for service thinking that maybe I could make some friends.  I did get close to a group of people I worked with doing mission work to help the poor and needy.  The only problem was that when we got back on the bus to back home to our neck of the woods, all I heard was 'how she should not have gotten herself knocked up', or 'what do you expect, he is a drunk', or 'I just think it is abominable that they live together like that', or 'he deserved what he got after he stole that bread his family needed so much.  I mean the law is the law.'  I found myself being real quiet on those rides back home.  I started to back out of alot of the volunteer work after that.  I really didn't feel comfortable sitting with all those hypocritical thinking people.  I began to get discouraged that I would not ever find a place to worship until I found this little book shop behind the farmer's market.  I remember going in there and finding all kinds of things to read that helped me with some feelings I was having.  So, I decided that that book shop was good enough for me.  I would just have to meet god there instead of going into one of those fake 'places-of-healing-in-Christ's-love'.  Soon after I started going to the book shop on a regular basis, I met people that would grab a cup of coffee and we would just sit there and talk.  That was where I met my life companion.  We hardly ever miss a sunday evening at the book shop after dinner. 

So I have had quite a journey and I have learned a great deal.  As I was pondering this one day, I realized that everything I had attained, I did on my own with the guidance of a higher power but without dependence on people. 


All you need is love, right?  (my companion often has prophetic dreams and he told me one day that he envisioned a music band singing that very same statement). 

Maybe, just maybe, all us Indians could be self sufficient one day.  Then we wouldn't need so many chiefs.


 
© Copyright 2010 Anna A. Friend (tlnilson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686491-American-Villages