*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687363-A-Smiting
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1687363
The big guy is feeling low. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the line: "I'm bored. There's nothing to do."

A Smiting

“I’m bored. There’s nothing to do.”

Thelma rolled her eyes and continued to chop carrots. Best to ignore him when he was like this. After all, it’s not like she hadn’t heard that a billion times before.

“I said I’m bored.”

Thelma tossed the carrots into the pot. “I heard you the first time.”

He risked an indignant “humff” as he left the room. He knew from experience not to confront Thelma directly. Cross her and there would be hell to pay.

A few minutes later, Thelma heard the T.V. remote slam down on the coffee table.

“There’s nothing on. How much are we paying for cable?” he called from the other room.

Thelma continued to ignore him as she tasted the soup then added a little more salt. He knew they didn’t pay for cable. He knew a guy.

Dinner was more of the same. He was really in a mood. It had been this way since that whole 2012 thing came out. Now everyone was expecting a big show and he, being more of a spontaneous sort, hated projects.

After dinner he seemed to calm down a bit; becoming a bit more approachable.

Thelma sat down next him on the sofa. She patted him on his thigh and said, “Why don’t you go down and smite somebody.”

He was still feeling a little sorry for himself and answered with a pouty, “Don’t wanna smite someone.”

“Now dear, you know how a good smiting always lifts your spirits.” She gave him a comforting rub on the back of his neck.

“I guess you’re right.” He walked over to a straw hat and drew out a bit of paper.

“Looks like it’s North America’s turn for the whip.”

He reached into the air and bellowed, “Let there be Glenn Beck!”

Word count 300





© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687363-A-Smiting