*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687923-The-Man
by Lala
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1687923
Exactly what the title says.
It is a miserable day spring day. Clouds hide the sun from view, pouring buckets of ice cold water onto the wet pavement. Crowds of people rush home, covering their heads with various items and trying not to get themselves soaked. A streak of lightning flashes through the sky, and a loud clap of thunder instantly replaces it. Sewage drains have long since flooded, creating pools of standing water on sidewalks lined with people and busy streets.

Standing in the middle of one of these streets is a man, his face hidden by the hood of his gray sweater. His hands are tucked into the pocket of his ratty, worn-down trousers that he seemed to have outgrown long ago. He appears to have no intention of moving, much to other driver's chagrin. I feel a touch of concern for him. What if he has nowhere else to go? Driven by both that thought and curiosity, I throw my coat on and leave the safety of the warm, inviting coffee shop and into the downpour awaiting me.

I push past other people and trudge through muddy puddles on my way over to the strange man. By the time I reach him water has soaked through my shoes, and other drivers have reached their breaking point. He seems not to notice me, even though I am standing by his side now. He's soaking wet and shivering considerably, something I could not see from my earlier observation point. He also appears to be hardly older than a boy, lankly limbs making him appear tall and awkward.

"Shouldn't you be inside somewhere?" I ask. He doesn't answer, nor does he look up at me. I wonder if he has heard me at all. Gingerly, I reach out and touch his arm.

As soon as my fingers touch the soaked fabric of his sweater he jerks away from me, looking up with an alarmed expression. It is as if he didn't realize I was there until that very moment. He opens his mouth as if to say something, but no words come out. The deep blue pools of his eyes reflect the soul of a very lost, confused young man.I feel an overwhelming sense of pity for him.

"Come with me," I tell him, taking his hand. "Let's get you out of the rain." he doesn't protest, instead allowing me to lead him out of the busy street and to a place where comfort and safety surely await him.
© Copyright 2010 Lala (lavia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687923-The-Man