*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689288-Sincerely-Cassie-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1689288
Cassie and Ian are best friends. But is Cassie in for a heartbreak from the one she loves?
         I opened my sleepy eyes. My eyelids heavy with exhaustion, I rolled over and gasped.

         Where was I? Definitely not where I was supposed to be. The walls were a deep blue, the bedspread that I laid under was blue and black striped. Jason Aldean was playing faintly in the background.

         I rubbed my forehead. I had a pounding headache.

         “Wow, you’re finally up?” Ian asked from his doorway. “You slept for like 12 hours.” I laughed. Of course I was at Ian’s house, I vaguely remembered the party last night. I must’ve been drinking a lot. Ian smiled at me when I ran my hands through my hair, and he deliberately took a huge spoonful of chocolate ice cream out of the carton that rested in his palm. I eyed the carton longingly.

         “I really think that I should eat that for you,” I said, rolling out of bed and looking at the carton.

         “You want some?” Ian asked pathetically.

         “Ian that’s a really stupid question,” I replied back. I walked passed him and stole the carton, bolting to the top of the stairs. He snatched it from my hands, darting down the steps.

         “Oh it’s on!” I laughed. I ran down the steps, but tripped halfway down.

         “Oh Cassie, you’re so clumsy,” Ian said, catching me and laughing. Our faces were inches apart. I felt his soft breath on my lips and gazed into his eyes. They were so blue, so perfect, so beautifully contrasted against his deep brown hair.

         “Hey,” Ian’s brother, Ryan, said, squeezing between my back and the banister. “Where were you guys last night?” He turned around and stared at Ian and then at me in his arms. A smirk played at the corners of his mouth, and Ian set me down carefully. I stole the ice cream back and smiled smugly.

         “Party. And lots of booze. Cass decided to crash here,” Ian said, pausing. “Or, more like there was no way in hell I was letting her drive home.” Ryan wasn’t nearly as good-looking as Ian. However, both siblings had inherited their mother’s dark hair and their father’s muscularity.

         “Well… you two love birds better not be getting crazy up there, that’s all I’m saying,” Ryan laughed taking my ice cream, turning and walking into the kitchen.

         “I swear one day…” Ian mumbled angrily. He always got really mad whenever Ryan mentioned that sort of stuff. I really didn’t care. I just rolled my eyes at the whole subject.

         “Cassie lets go for a walk,” Ian said, taking my hand.

         I looked down at my hand and smiled. “Okay Ian.” I didn’t mind walking with him. I loved it.

                   *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

         “You were so drunk last night,” Ian laughed. “I bet you don’t remember a thing, huh?”                    “Nope,” I replied. “I couldn’t even tell you where it was.” I laughed and looked into the deep midnight sky. The sky was sprinkled with twinkling stars, and I stopped to admire it.

         “What’s wrong?” Ian asked, examining my face. I sighed and blinked. Gazing at Ian, I didn’t saw a word, and wrapped my arms around his neck, pressing my face to his shoulder. His arms instinctively wrapped around me, cradling me with such a warmth and compassion. I’m not sure how long we stayed like this, but it wasn’t long enough. He pulled me away from him and scrutinized my face, looking intently into my eyes. I had to look down at the rain-soaked sidewalk.

         “Cassie?” Ian asked, almost pleading with me. I just kept looking at the worms that were pulling themselves across the concrete, attempting to run away from the moist soil.

         I didn’t know why I couldn’t look at him. We were only friends, nothing more. Ian pushed my chin up with his thumb and I managed a weak smile, making him grin and start laughing.

         “What’s up with you kid?” he asked, laughing. “You’re scaring me a little bit.”

         I started to laugh, but I couldn’t say a word. His crystal blue eyes made me think twice about anything I wanted to say.

         “Come on, I’m getting hungry again,” I finally said, angry with myself for feeling this way about him. I turned around toward him, smiling, ready to run. “I’ll race you.”

         “You’re on!” Ian said, taking off down the sidewalk. “You know I’m gonna win.”

         For a second, it felt like we were kids again, innocent beings, running across the dew-covered grass barefoot. Ian laughed like a kid for a second time, making me smile. I was blinded when I started running. Tears were running down my face.

© Copyright 2010 Magdalyn Ode (bolover26 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689288-Sincerely-Cassie-Chapter-1