*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689338-Escapees
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1689338
The Government's brilliant achievement in revolutionary weapons development was halted...?
          The Government was struggling to present a new weapon that would revolutionize the weapons industry. In 2286 a classified Government operation was able to produce prototypes of such a weapon. Before publicly announcing their engineering triumph they created a total of 100 prototypes to be secretly tested using volunteers to test run them. Only the most promising candidates were chosen.

         When all 100 weapons were outfitted to each volunteer, the high-ups briefed them on what they were testing and what it would be used for keeping a lot of the specific details vague under the guise of confidential and national security. The scientists kept the voluteers in a top secret facility to test run the weapons and to keep out any outside spying that would interfere with the exercises.

         The allotted time the volunteers were testing the prototypes was specified as one year. However while in the midst of testing the scientists realized there was far more bugs than they realized and needed more time to test run their prototypes. The Government considered the time, effort, and resources they would need to find new volunteers for the prototypes but after the year was up they considered the cost to be too great. Instead they decided to hold the volunteers until the prototypes were as near perfect as they could make them before revealing them to the public. Most of the volunteers were against the idea of extending the testing period and declined but they were given no opinion in the matter based on vague and elusive principles stated in the legal contract all volunteers signed before beginning their testing.

         Because of the Government's decision the 100 volunteers spent four years testing at the facility with the prototypes. The volunteers were outraged by the decision but little resistance was made. The testing they performed on a daily basis were extensive, rigorous, and very hard to maintain. The volunteers would protest and complicate every experiment in an effort to show where they stood in their opinions but to no avail.

          In the spring of 2294 the scientists were making impressive progress on the repairs of the weapons. With the weapons making great progress the Government started making a press release on the ready. Without the knowledge of the press conference or the great improvements to the weapons the volunteer's bottled rage had reached it's peak. A few months before the press release could get a foundation the facility that held all the volunteers had a massive breakdown and all the volunteer testers escaped from the facility taking the new weaponry with them.

         The Government retaliated with a cold fury. The Government immediately created a new division called Soldiers specifically charged with the retrieving of the stolen weaponry by any means necessary. This newly formed division Soldiers wasted no time hunting down the escapees and retrieving the stolen technology. Within the first month of its creation the newly formed division had found seven of the escapees with the stolen weapons. As well as forming Soldiers the Government immediately called for a press conference calling the volunteers from the facility local terrorists who have committed crimes of treason against the Government.

         After the first month it became harder to locate the escapees after the press release. The accused terrorists dispersed to try and live by themselves or broke off into small groups. All the criminals had different agendas they wanted to accomplish. Some of the escapees wanted to live in secret freedom and had to create new names for themselves and new lives in secret from the Government. Others had plans of revenge against the Government and the facility that imprisoned them, while a small portion of them were more interested in misusing the new technology for petty robberies and conning. Despite their different goals they all set out to achieve they all had one common thought, one common fear. They did not want to be caught by the Government. They all knew that escaping from the facility with the weaponry worth billions of dollars meant that they directly disobeyed the Government and by doing so had become the Government's biggest priority. If any one of them were to be caught by Soldiers they would never make it to court.
© Copyright 2010 bunnyface (bunnyface123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689338-Escapees