*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689668-Mindys-Fourth-of-July-Bonanza
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1689668
A woman hosts a Fourth of July party that no one comes to.
Word Count: 498

         It was 7:15 p.m., fifteen minutes past the time Mindy told her friends to arrive at her Fourth of July Party.  She called them again.  No answer.  She sat down in front of her plate full of hotdogs, poured herself some wine, and pouted.

         She had just talked to Erica earlier that day, reminding her friend about being prompt.  You're always late, Mindy had told her.  It was rude to be late and Erica needed to work on that or she wouldn't be invited to the next party.  She made a mental note not to invite Erica to the next party.  Mindy ate a few hotdogs and drank the wine in her glass.  She poured herself more wine.

         She had talked to Angela just a couple of days ago wondering if she was going to be bringing a dish this time.  The last party Mindy had hosted, Angela had neglected to bring anything.  Are you poor because you always forget to bring something, she had asked.  If her friend was having financial difficulties, Mindy needed to know.  She needed to make sure that there was going to be enough food for everyone, and if someone wasn't going to bring a dish, they may as well not bring themselves.  Mindy ate a few hotdogs and drank the wine in her glass.  She poured herself more wine.

         She had talked to Kara earlier in the week to see if her friend was going to be bringing the new man she was dating.  Mindy needed to know how many hot dogs to make, and it seemed as if Kara had a new boyfriend every week.  Kara, in Mindy's eyes, was quite promiscuous with men and she needed to know if Kara was going to go off and sleep with another man before her party.  Mindy asked her this, and Kara had given her a shake of her head.  Mindy ate a few hotdogs and drank the wine in her glass.  She poured herself more wine.

         She usually had a bigger guest list, but she had to blacklist several people for a variety of reasons.  Leslie always drank too much.  Something always went missing when Jessica was around.  Bernice always ate more than she brought.  Francine spent half the time at parties outside smoking and always ended up stinking up the place when she came back in.  Mindy ate a few hotdogs and drank the wine in her glass.  She poured herself more wine.

         Mindy shook her head.  It was Independence Day.  People should be a little more considerate of others.  She stood up and emptied her glass via her throat.  She was confused as to why the plate full of hot dogs was empty.  Had she done that?  She looked at the wine bottle.  That too only had a few drops left in it.  Had she done that as well?  Mindy felt dizzy and woozy.  She looked at the clock.  It was only 7:20.

         There was a knock at the door.

*          *          *


Liked this story?  Check out some of my others.  I have something for everyone!

Short Stories (Non-Nate Gillen)  (E)
These are my different short stories. There's something for everyone.
#1690969 by Jonathan Marx


Or try checking out my real pride and joy.  Mysteries starring my seventh grade detective Nate Gillen.
Nate Gillen Mysteries  (E)
Think you're smarter than Nate Gillen? Match wits with my seventh grade detective!
#1690972 by Jonathan Marx
© Copyright 2010 Jonathan Marx (ishippen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689668-Mindys-Fourth-of-July-Bonanza