*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689956-Grim-origins
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #1689956
First draft of my story about the origin of the Grim Reaper.
In the beginning, there was nothing. Then something happened; Thought. A consciousness. It didn’t have a body or physical form; it was simply a mind in the emptiness. Then something even more amazing happened; Thought created Existence. Existence took the form of a small planet that would later be named “Utopia”. On Utopia, Thought made Life, and only Life. There was no violence, no hatred, no death, merely peace and harmony. Thought’s favorite creature was a massive species known as “humans”. Thought fawned over humanity, cared for it, loved it. Each and every living thing was dear and special to Thought, and each person was different and unique to it. There was one particular human though who would feel Thought’s love. His name was Nemitt, and he was quite possibly the happiest man alive. Everyone in the world was happy, but not like Nemitt. Nemitt seemed to understand things on a deeper level than most, and this comprehension caused him to appreciate all that he had even more.
He was truly blessed, for he had joy in his heart, a beautiful woman with whom he could share his happiness, and a life with no death. The things that Nemitt didn’t think about however, was how quickly his happiness could crumble to dust, or how unhappy he could be. Why would he contemplate such things? This was Utopia, a world of pleasure; unhappiness didn’t even exist there.
Time passed, and Nemitt continued to be happy, as did the rest of the world. As time and Life continued to pass by, humanity changed. It fell victim to the illnesses that plague mankind, and would continue to plague them for eternity; selfishness. Everyone began to want more than they had, more pleasure, more possessions, more of everything. Nemitt watched as the world morphed before his eyes, becoming a cesspool of avarice and lust. Despite the change though, Nemitt remained the same. He yearned for nothing more than to be with his lover, and nothing more. His love for Greta burned with a fiery passion that would put the flames of Hell to shame, and yet it wasn’t enough. Greta left Nemitt for another lover, claiming that she needed more he was providing. Suddenly, there was something new in Existence; misery. Nemitt became a recluse, shying away from all contact. He shunned those who tried to visit and hid away in his home.Nemitt began to starve himself, refusing to eat. So overwhelming was his loss that he went so far as to hide from light itself, concealing himself within a long black cloak, pulling the hood over his face. Without light or food, Nemitt became pale and thin as he withered away to little more than a skeleton.
More time passed, and Nemitt was forgotten. While Nemitt was forgotten, new things were discovered, and new activities brought new gratifications. Thought watched through the window of time as its creation became impure and corrupt. It saw all the people of the world gather in their festivals of lust, and watched as one individual chose not to attend such festivals and events. A plan for this individual began to form within Thought, a plan to re-purify his creation.
“My child…” Thought called out to Nemitt “A grim task awaits you…”
“Who speaks to me? Is the loss of Greta not enough? Have I not suffered enough? Why can I not be left alone?” Nemitt asked aloud. “My child, you have suffered much, and it is your suffering that makes you perfect for this task. No other appreciates the gift I have bestowed upon you, the precious gift of Life” Thought spoke directly into Nemitt’s mind “I provided a paradise, and my own creations have ruined it. My perfect world has become depraved and evil, just like it’s denizens. Depravity is an ailment, my child, and you are to be the cure. With everlasting life comes eventual boredom. Boredom leads to curiosity, and curiosity leads to evil” “What is this? Does another live in my head?” Nemitt was beginning to accept the Thought as his company. “I have endowed all my children with immortality, but you shall be the one to take it away. You are to be the Reaper, a harvester of life. You and you alone, Nemitt, deserve this gift. This world is doomed, and it will be destroyed soon, along with everything else. You have a chance to avoid such a fate, but at the cost of the lives of everyone else on Utopia”. Nemitt remained silent for several moments, contemplating the offer. “I… accept” Nemitt said finally.
All across the planet, people fell to the ground. Their blood stopped cold in their veins, their lungs ceased to inhale. From each body rose a soft blue light that hovered for several moments before speeding off into the distance. Utopia was bathed in an eerie blue glow as the souls of its inhabitants all converged in Nemitt’s home to forge a scythe with an ornate blade and a long wooden handle. “come my child, receive your tool of death” Thought said to Nemitt. Nemitt slowly reached out with a bony hand and grabbed the scythe. Milliseconds later, Nemitt dropped to the ground, writhing in agony, his mind shattered by the pleas of a million lost souls devoured by the scythe.
Despite how miserable he had been in his past life, Nemmit was surprised to find that he had become even more grim.
© Copyright 2010 Atrum-Vir (atrum-vir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689956-Grim-origins