*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690343-Her-Tender-Adversary
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1690343
Chapter Four
Chapter Four

Michael Andrews sat across from his employer in the well-appointed study. He thrust his hands between his knees to hide their shaking.
“Everything has been done as you wished, sir.” He said.
“Both men agreed?”
“Yes sir. However Hunter refused until I allowed him to negotiate his own price.”
“Yes, well I anticipated it. He asked for the four thousand in gold?”
“He did.” Michael pulled his handkerchief from his frock pocket and wiped his brow. “Sure is damnably hot here.” He said.
The man across from him didn’t answer.
“Now it is time to move on to the next phase of my plan.” The man said. “I expect you back in two weeks to update me.”
Andrews rose and stuck out his hand. The boss took it and shook it vigorously between both of his own.


"Well, Julia, you must have come home awfully late from the Hanover's soiree, last evening. Did Mr. Nordham accompany you back? Cissy said you fell into bed around three this morning." Lillian, Julia's stepmother said. Julia was glad she told the maid the story of her middle of the night arrival. Her parents had not even seen her leave the party in the late afternoon to meet with Roderick Hamilton, another widely known abolitionist.
"No. Mrs. Hanover lent me her carriage as I was positively drained from all the dancing."
"And Zeus?" Daniel inquired.
"One of the stable hands rode him along the carriage."
"Julia, you know a girl of your station should never ride alone. Especially at night." Daniel said, peering over his newspaper at her.
"But it was late Father. And I was not alone. There was a stable boy. And a footman. I was perfectly safe."
"But next time please let a gentleman accompany you. These Negroes sometimes get ideas about hurting white women and I would hate to think of you being compromised by one of them." Lillian said.
Julia bit her tongue. It was just like Lillian to think the worst in people, especially the Negroes. It was idiotic ideas like that that gave the them a bad name. It was true that there were violent slaves, but most were docile, God-fearing folks.
"Is Mr. Nordham coming to pay a call on you today dear?"
"I don't think so, Lillian." Julia said. "I just..." Her voice trailed off.
"You what dear?" Lillian prodded.
"I don't really like him." That was an understatement. He was far too old for her and she had likened his features to those of a horse.
"What isn't to like?" Daniel asked. "He's rich; he holds a seat in the government. It's a good match."
"Then you marry him." Julia muttered into her napkin.
"Daniel, darling, don't you Stephan is too old for Julia?" Lillian asked.
"There is no such thing as too old for a man. As long as he can sire children, he is of the right age."
Julia made a face at the thought of bearing Nordham's horse faced heirs.
"Don't worry dear. There are plenty of eligible young men still out there. You could be engaged by fall if you play your cards right." Lillian said.
"But I don't think I'm ready for marriage." No one is ready for me, she thought bitterly to herself. She was far too outspoken for the genteel Southern men. Uncontrollable, was the word her father used to describe her. He was always telling Lillian that she needed the firm hand of a husband to bring her to heel.
"Nonsense. You are twenty-eight years old. It's high time you marry and fill a nursery!" Daniel said.
Ignoring Daniel's daily litany Lillian smiled. "I talked to Eleanor last evening about her guests for next week’s dinner. She said it would be an intimate affair. Only eighteen people."
Julia scoffed at the thought of eighteen people being an "intimate affair."
"She said that her husband invited Arthur Roseland and his family. Mr. Roseland is also bringing his chief aide, Forbes Calder. I asked Eleanor to do a little arranging of the table and she thought it a most splendid idea. She thinks the two of you will suit. Much better than Mr. Nordham." Lillian added pointedly. Daniel looked at her and scowled.
"Stephan is a good man. He owns a shipyard, and an expansive plantation. I also hear he is joining the army.” Daniel said, a smile playing on the corners of his mouth. "Yes. A good man. He will make an excellent addition to our family."
Julia raised an eyebrow and smiled prettily for her stepmother. Everyone at that dinner party would be insufferable bores with opinions that undoubtedly sprang from ignorance! And she was sure that included Forbes Whatever-his-name-is!
© Copyright 2010 Jennifer Korp (jenkorp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690343-Her-Tender-Adversary