*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690347-Her-Tender-Adversary
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1690347
Chapter Six

Chapter Six


Roseland took the bait. "Ridiculous!"
"No it's not. The North is far more industrialized than we are. They have factories, railroads. They own well over half of the banking capital, almost all the shipping, not to mention meat-packaging plants. They have nearly perfected the act of slaughtering." Julia retorted. "We have no weapons facilities. We just grow cotton, tobacco and rice. That is not going to get us far. Besides, who will buy our exports?"
"Why England will! And France!" Louis said. "And all we need is cotton, tobacco and rice! Clothes, chew and food! The basic staples of life!" He laughed along with Daniel and Harland. She took notice in the fact that Damien and Lt. Calder did not join in.
"She is correct, sirs." Calder said, with a wink at Julia. She heard Damien harrumph as he took a long draught from his wine.
"With all the men gone, who will mill the cotton? Who will harvest the tobacco and rice? Men put no faith in women. We are told to run a household and that is the whole of our lives."
"Julia, enough. Gentlemen I think it is time to change the subject. We will have her thinking she can spout an opinion whenever and wherever she wants." Daniel said.
“But Father…”
“No buts Julia. That is enough for one night.”
Julia sat back in her chair like a reprimanded child.
No one spoke. Lillian tried to change the subject. "You have a beautiful home, Eleanor."
"Thank you. It's been in Louis' family since the early seventeen hundreds."
"Louis owns one of the largest rice plantations in South Carolina." Daniel said.
"Is that so? How many acres do you own?" Lillian asked.
"About fifteen hundred acres."
"That's three times as many as the last time we had visited you.“ Daniel asked, swirling his wine in his glass, and then taking a sip.
"Time has been good to me and my lands.”
"Fifteen hundred!" Julia said, trying to get the conversation back on track. "That is very impressive indeed. You must own many slaves."
"Three hundred nineteen. I‘ve been buying parcels of land over the last few years. I bought a nice stock of slaves last month. A new cook, thirty field hands, and three new house slaves."
"Sounds like you made the auction house a healthy profit all on your own!" Roseland said.
"Well it is a large property with most of it belonging to the rice paddies."
“Where are the slave quarters?”
"They’re back about eight hundred feet behind the tree line. I don’t want my visitors to see the homes. It's in bad taste."
"In who's opinion?" She muttered. Forbes, who had caught her question laughed quietly. Julia's eyes strayed to Damien who watched her over his near-empty glass.
"But they're well cared for? Adequate food, clothing and medicine when needed?"
"Young lady..." Came Louis' warning.
"Is your overseer a foreman or a bullying tyrant?" Julia's voice was flat, her eyes narrowed, her palms resting flat on the table.
"Julia!" Daniel's tone held a warning but this time she ignored him. Everyone was staring at her, disbelieving her theatrics.
"How many of your slaves have run away only to be beaten or killed upon their capture? How many have been murdered by over-zealous bounty hunters? How many families have been ripped apart?"
"Julia enough! The Hunter's are our hosts!" Daniel barked.
"No Father it is not enough!" Julia stood and turned to Louis. "It will never be enough until all the slaves are freed from those who hold them captive!"
"Julia Cameron! You apologize this instant!" Daniel commanded.
"I refuse to apologize to this...this zoo keeper!" she looked around the table. "Shall we put Mr. Hunter in bondage? Make him work for a black man who wields a whip as he picks rice in the blistering heat? Let us put the shoe on the other foot!"
"That isn’t necessary Miss Cameron." Damien said. "I see to it personally that our slaves are treated well."
"So you are the overseer as well?"
"No. I'm just the zoo-keeper's son."
"Well, I believe that humans shouldn't be kept as cattle. Slaves should not be their own class. They deserve the same respect as you or I." Julia said.
"Well Miss Cameron, it doesn't seem that you have anyone's respect at the moment." He quipped.
When Julia tried to meet the eyes of the guests, they all looked away, including her father. She bit her lip and took a deep breath. Meeting Damien's eyes Julia said, "It matters not to me if these cattle herders believe in my words! Soon the North will descend upon us and free them with bloodshed and misery!" She rounded the table near him, challenging him.
"Miss Cameron you must not forget that although you no longer live on a plantation, it was the profit of slavery that put you in your upstanding position."
Julia’s jaw dropped. Damien stood, and gently nudged her chin. Immediately she snapped it shut and came out of her stupor.
"How dare you!" Julia hissed.
"No Miss Cameron. How dare you!" Damien corrected. "You have no right to attack my family. Our slaves do not live like kings, but they live better than most. And if I remember correctly and your father has not seemed to change, you still have slaves in your home. It is the way of the South. And as abhorrent as one may think it is, it will never change."
Dumbstruck and embarrassed Julia fled the room to the parlor across from the dining hall. She had pushed the envelope too far this time and she knew it. What did she know about the Hunters? She had not seen them in years. She felt ridiculous. She knew she should apologize, but her pride stopped her. Perhaps she could get Mrs. Hunter alone and apologize. She could not bring herself to apologize in front of Damien. She would not be able to handle his gloating. Yes, she would apologize to Mrs. Hunter. Then she could keep some of her pride intact.
“Miss Cameron?” Forbes knocked on the doorjamb. Julia wiped away her tears and turned to face him. “Are you alright?” He took a few steps forward and Julia smiled at him.
“I will be. Sometimes I don’t think before I speak.” She explained.
“I understand completely. When passion takes over, it can be our worst enemy.” Forbes said. “Shall we return to dinner?”
“I’ll return in a moment.” She replied as she saw Lillian and Eleanor enter the room.
“Yes of course.” He said, kissing her hand lightly. With a flourish, he left the room.
"Oh Lillian, Mrs. Hunter I am so sorry!" Julia said. She hugged Lillian tightly. Lillian might not be her biological mother but she was the only mother that Julia had known since she was nine. "I don't know what came over me."
"Enthusiasm, my dear." Eleanor replied with a smile. "Now will you please come back to the table? The silence has been unbearable."
Julia smiled at Eleanor and nodded. "Yes ma'am, with pleasure."


As Julia entered the room, she noticed that Damien had left. Lt. Calder sympathized with her, giving her a reassuring smile. Her smile was small in return. Feeling uncomfortable, Julia had reverted to ignoring the guests around her and practicing her next Society speech silently. Only the occasional clank of silverware penetrated her concentration as the strained dialogue surrounded her.
"I hear you're a gifted pianist, Julia." Eleanor said as dessert was served.
"Pardon?"
"Lillian told me what a wonderful piano player you are." The hostess said affably. "Would you entertain us with a piece after dessert?”
Julia was taken by surprise, as she once again became the focus of the group. "It would be an honor."
The guests hurried and finished their desserts then were led into the music room.
Julia sat at the beautiful piano and smoothed her gown. When she placed her shaky hands on the delicate ivory keys, she was engulfed in memories of her mother. Soon the parlor was enshrouded by the music of Mozart and Chopin. Haunting memories flourished in her mind's eye and drove Julia to play the same melodies that Rose Sinclair Cameron taught her as a child. Julia was entranced, playing like a woman possessed. The music rushed through her, taking over her senses, her emotions matching the rise and fall of the tempo. The rhythm pulsated through Julia's body as she struck the keys with fervor. Gradually she slowed, the last few notes faded and the guests she had once alienated rose to their feet. Their applause resounded in her ears.
Julia stood, looking the part of a madwoman, her face bathed in sweat, stray strands of light brown curls stood from her head and her emerald eyes were big and bright. The onslaught of compliments seemed genuine, but with this crowd, one never knew.
Julia curtsied slightly as Daniel rushed to her side. "You've redeemed yourself beautifully." He whispered through a smile. She said nothing as the throng of people pushed toward her.
"Julia!" Eleanor said, taking her hands. "That was stupendous!"
"Thank you." Julia replied.
"Why don't I take you outside for some fresh air?" Stephan Nordham said from beside her, his breath vile. She gently pulled away, but his hand took hers, tugging her tad too roughly for her liking.
"Julia, how about if I take you out for air. I could use some myself." Eleanor smiled at Nordham. "You don't mind, do you Stephan?"
Eleanor did not wait for an answer but took Julia from the crowd.
"Thank you Mrs. Hunter."
As they hurried from the crowd, Eleanor said, "Please call me Eleanor dear. Mrs. Hunter makes me feel positively ancient."
Julia laughed. "I couldn't possibly. My father would go into hysterics if he knew I was addressing you as such."
"Pish-posh!" Eleanor said, squeezing Julia's hand. She pulled the younger woman to the French doors. "I insist and will feel insulted if you address me as anything else!"
"All right...Eleanor." Julia said.
The group tried to follow them outside but Julia pushed them away with "thank you" then closed the door behind her.
A cool breeze swept in off the Atlantic gently blowing the loose curls around Julia's face. As she walked further into the garden, she inhaled deeply, the ocean air assaulting her senses.
Light from the Greek revival home illuminated a winding brick path through early spring blossoms. The walkway was dotted with intricately carved wooden benches, the nearest serving as Julia's seat.
"Lillian told me what your father has in mind for Mr. Nordham and you. Disgraceful! That man is old enough to be your grandfather!"
Julia laughed.
"Your mother would roll over in her grave if she knew what he was planning for you." Eleanor said. "I do, however, think Forbes is a good match for you. What do you think?" She smiled at Julia.
"He seems nice enough. But I don't know if I could stomach being a politician's wife."
"Nonsense. Women like us are bred for it."
"I suppose." Julia said half-heartedly.
The two sat quietly for a few moments.
"I can imagine this garden when everything is in full bloom. It must be heavenly." Julia remarked. She closed her eyes and took in the sounds around her, listened to the small stream, crickets and an owl.
"My garden isn't nearly as magnificent as Serenity's gardens." Eleanor said, sitting next to Julia.
“Really! I can’t imagine anything being any more gorgeous than this!” Julia smiled and leaned back against the seat.
"Your musical talent is amazing." Eleanor said. "I remember your mother playing for church services. You must have only been an infant then." She said, smiling at Julia. "She had the voice of an angel and was just as beautiful. You remind me so much of her. From what I can recall, she was exactly tempered as you are. She, too, was independent and spoke what she felt."
Julia smiled, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to fall. Her father rarely spoke of her mother. She knew how devastating it was for Daniel to speak of her, how much he loved her. It nearly tore his heart out to hear her name mentioned at all. Lillian took it all in stride. She too had loved and lost her husband. It was in that commonality that they shared a love as well.
"Are you ready to go back inside?" Eleanor asked. "It seems as if everyone is retiring."
"I had better stay out here for a few more minutes." Julia said. "To compose myself."
"Would you like me to wait for you?"
"That won't be necessary. I will be right along."
"Of course dear." Eleanor stood and straightened her gown. Julia watched as she rejoined the guests in the brightly lit parlor. The moon was full and darted in and out of the clouds as if playing a child's game of hide and seek. Julia fought the tears that had been welling up but it was in vain. As she closed her eyes against them, they slid under her lashes and down her cheeks.


Damien watched Julia as she cried. Despite the earlier words spoken between the two he still felt a desire to wrap his arms around her and kiss away whatever was making her sad. He did not dare move as to disturb her, but he watched, fascinated as she sat for a few moments. He remembered her as a child. No, not a child exactly. She was at that age between a woman and a child, innocent yet curious. He had given Julia her first kiss, her first taste of heartbreak as he left to join the army.
When she seemed ready to go back inside he asked, "Miss Cameron are you all right?"
"Since when are you so concerned about me?" She retorted.
"I couldn't help but notice you out here by yourself. Crying."
"I'm fine." She said, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.
Damien proffered a handkerchief. She declined it with a harrumph.
"You're not still upset about our falling out are you?"
"Of course not!" She stood up and lifted her chin. "Why should that bother me? You are entitled to your opinions and ways of life thanks to the laws of the Confederate States of America! Just because your ideas are wrong..."
A smiled tugged at the corner of Damien's mouth.
"I'm glad you think this funny. It concurs my point that you are a woodenheaded fool!" She snapped.
"Is that so?"
"Yes."
"Well we shall see who is right and who is wrong when you come to stay at 'Serenity.'" He answered, taking a step towards her.
"What in the devil's name are you talking about?" Surprise flashed in her green eyes but she quickly subdued it.
"I told your father that your family is more than welcome to stay as long as he feels unsafe in town. Given your outburst at dinner earlier he was quite taken by surprise by my offer."
"As am I." She said under her breath.
"Serenity could use a little spirit and I've no doubt you are the one to return it!" He looked at her and his desire overtook his senses. He swept her up in his arms and kissed her.


Damien's mouth slanted over hers, tasting her, sending a cascade of desire through her, memories flooding back. She ran her hands up his chest, over his shoulders and into his tangle of midnight hair. She pulled his mouth to hers, as heat poured over her like molten steel. His tongue expertly maneuvered between her teeth and plundered her mouth, sparring with hers.
Oh, to be so thoroughly kissed was ecstasy! She felt her knees buckle beneath her. Damien's arms tightened around her waist. The possessive way he held her, excited her and frightened her. It was better than she had dared dream. Stephan's kisses were messy; sloppy enough to have her pull a handkerchief from her reticule to wipe off his spittle. This was delicious. Delicious, dangerous, utter madness.
"No! We mustn't!" She stammered, pulling away from him. She lightly placed her fingers on her lips, feeling them swell from his kiss. She looked up into his amber eyes; saw the slightest hint of a smirk on his lips.
"Why not? You seemed to be enjoying it as much as I." Damien said. Her eyes narrowed at him. When the smirk became a full-fledged mocking grin, she slapped him. She grabbed her skirts and fled into the house.
Oh, she was a hoyden of the worst kind! Allowing a man to take liberties with her person! At least it was only a kiss. A simple kiss. He hadn’t groped her as Nordham had tried to, which she appreciated. But the way her body hummed as his kiss possessed her, she was not sure she would have stopped him. Was not sure if she would have wanted to stop him. Now she was being banished! To his home no less! Moving to the middle of nowhere! She would have to see him day after day after day! Oooh! But he was infuriating, arrogant, unnerving, handsome...she could not bear to finish the thought. She found the door that led into an empty sitting room and sat in an overstuffed chair facing the fireplace. A moment later the door opened. She shrunk down in the chair and gave a silent prayer to not be seen by the interloper.
"It's safe to speak openly here. The guests have all retired to the sitting room and the smoking room." Damien said.
"I just came to make sure you still are up for the task we spoke of last week.“
“I am. Why would you think otherwise?“
“Sometimes people get an attack of morals.“
“Not I.“ Damien replied. “Apparently I don’t have any.“ Julia winced at the remark.
` “Wallace has ruffled more than a few feathers of some very important people."
"Yes, I agree." Damien said. "I still need to find a way to quiet him."
Her heart raced. Sweat broke out on Julia's forehead.
"No one has devised a foolproof plan. He seems to disappear into thin air. It is as if he does not exist except to speak at Society meetings. He is invited to balls, dinners, hunting expeditions. He refuses them all."
"Any clues as to why?" Damien asked.
"We think 'Wallace' is an alias for another abolitionist. We think it's a disguise." Rogue answered. "We just can't figure out who he really is. The one thing we do know is that he strongly connected to Hamilton. We could use that to our advantage."
"What is Wallace's background? Married? Divorced? Children?"
"He doesn't have any life before coming to Charleston a few years ago. And all those papers of people claiming to hear him speak in other states have been falsehoods. He is strictly a South Carolinian speaker. More specifically, a Charleston speaker"
"Well that will make it easier to find him. I will not have to go too far and the kill can be more efficient that way. And easier to find an alibi."
The voices began to fade as they made their way out of the sitting room. Julia ran to the door trying to catch a glimpse of the man with Damien but only saw straw-colored hair and his fine dress.







© Copyright 2010 Jennifer Korp (jenkorp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690347-Her-Tender-Adversary