*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690629-The-Art-of-Noise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by gmill
Rated: E · Other · Opinion · #1690629
An observation about the sounds of the world around us.
Sometimes I wonder how people live without noise.
I have trouble imagining a quiet lifestyle, only hearing a gentle breeze cross a field of golden wheat.  It may be pleasant for some, but not for me.
We enter the world yelling, and our parents wait for our first words.
They would brag to others, that their baby just spoke.  Soon, they're convinced the gave birth to a genius, as words turned into sentences.
So, noise is natural, it's good, it is LIFE!
A child knows a ringing school bell is 'CLASS DISMISSED!"
Car horns tell us "C'MON! MOVE!" or "I'm Home!!!"
The rumble of heavy construction equipment says "Progress is coming!"
From cheering crowds in a packed arena to white-capped waves crashing a shore, to the pounding of a judge's gavel-sounds tell us so much in non-verbal communication.
Being raised in the city, silence can be alarming.  The stillness puts you in edge, waiting for something to occur.
Relaxation becomes a chore.
Urban skylines and large throngs of people provide more comfort than endless miles of empty plains, and your next door neighbor 10 minutes to the south.
Ah.....the sweet sounds of activity!  Knowing that there is a little chaos in the world makes everything all right.
I want to go on enjoying the way I perceive life, until they say "May he rest in peace."

I prefer "May he rest in noise."
© Copyright 2010 gmill (eldago at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690629-The-Art-of-Noise