*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691082-Starr-WIllow
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1691082
A 16-year-old orphan girl was adopted by a karate master, now she must save her homeland
Willow, now sixteen, stands in the back room, staring out of the tall glass windows facing her.

“Starr,” a soft voice comes from behind. Willow turns, her long braid swiping at her back. “Yes,” she answers. A young girl, about her height stands in the doorway, which is about twice her size. She is wearing a long loosely fitted robe and bows respectfully. “Master Ying would like to speak with you,” she says. Willow turns to look back at the flowing fields of grass outside her window. “Tell him I’ll be right there, Kia” she says, sighing. The girl gives a slight bow once again, and walks off to deliver the message.



Willow sits on a pillow next to the small, rectangular table, facing Master Ying. She picks up a blue mug and takes a sip of her tea. “What was your delay in getting here?” he asks. Willow looks up at the old man, his eyes calm and peaceful. “I…” Willow starts, placing her cup down “…just wanted to admire your garden,” she answers, giving an apologetic smile. “It is a fine garden,” Master Ying says.

“I called you here because there is something very important I need for you to know,” he starts. Willow takes a cracker from her plate, and takes a bite. “I am afraid the measure of evil against our people is great…the Akimitsu think it necessary to destroy everything… and everyone who does not comply with their… beliefs,” Master Ying says looking dead into Willows eyes “but you… you can help stop this.” Willow looks confused.

“For many years you have trained in the art of fighting ... and endurance. You have been my strongest pupil, able to combine the concentration and control of meditation, and the power and agility of martial arts.” Willow takes in a deep breath. “That’s why I want you to help fight against this evil… this injustice.”



Willow looks up at him “But I-“ she starts, Willow stares at Master Ying. He’d always thought she could do almost anything. But this… this was the Akimitsu they were talking about. She couldn’t fight them, they were far to experienced. “I just don’t think I’m the worrier you think I am,” she says, finally. Willow hangs her head, looking uncomfortably down at the ground.

“Willow,” he says, waiting for her eyes to meet his again “Your power lies among the stars that speak your destiny for you, and the sun that lights your path… why would you want to change this? Would you prove the universe wrong?” Willow frowns. Her eyebrows lower and her mouth curls up into a smile. She sits silently for a while. “…no Master Ying,” she says, and then bows her head respectfully. Master Ying does the same. “That’s my girl” he says, “That’s my Starr.”

Starr Willow stands and looks fiercely out of the window facing the paved road. She had never officially left her home on the hill before, but had always wanted to travel. She looks over at Master Ying, her long braids swiping her back. He smiles up at her. “Go get ‘em, kiddo,” he says. Willow smiles too.



* * *



That night Willow walked out onto her front porch, taking one last look at her secluded home on the hill. She takes a deep breath in, smelling the sweet scented air. She scoops up her bag and swings it up over her shoulder. Willow stokes the marble beam holding up the building. She sighs, and walks down the steps. The front yard was full of green lush grass, and tree peony flowers, her favorite. There were a few trees, Willows and white Chinese peony trees, with flowers in bloom. She reached up and snapped a flower from its steam, and held it in her hand. A breeze came, and the pink pedals break away, one by one, graciously riding with the wind. Willow would be back though, she’d promised herself that as she took the dirt road from their garden on her way to town.



Kia watches Willow’s shadow drift silently across her window. She gently removes her covers, revealing her light, silk, night gown. She watches Willow make her way down the narrow dirt road, away from their home. Why couldn’t she be more like her? Then maybe Master Ying would have sent her on a wild adventure too. Kia creeps to her window. There Willow was, off to see the world, and she was here living in the secrecy of the hills. Kia frowns, the blue light from outside highlighting her face. Well no more.

Kia runs to her drawer, filling a large sac with clothes and snacks. She darted across her room, quickly selecting what to bring. She grabs a necklace from her case of jewelry, and a handful of currency. Kia carefully unlatches a small, decorative box, and places a small brown book into the bag. She quickly changes a thick robe with a hood for her night gown and throws the bag over her shoulder. Kia soundlessly slides the back bamboo door open, taking the first step outside onto the flat rocks making up her back porch. She hears a soft tweet and freezes. Kia swerves her head, looking around in the darkness of her small room.

Then she remembers, “Yazzie!” Kia whispers, pulling a blanket away from the cage in the corner, beside the door. Her small bird shakes its body, fluffing its bright feathers. Kia giggles “aw, I’m sorry, boy, you can’t come with me.” The small colorful bird cocks its head. “But I’ll be back,” Kia whispers, rubbing her finger against its soft feathers, through the bars of the cage.

* * *



Willow looks up at the night sky as she walks down the lonely road to the town of Shiro. She reaches into her pants pocket. Her pants were roomy, and cut off right below the knees. She’d remembered she’d begged Master Ying to purchase them for her so that she could practice Karate easier. Of course that wasn’t the only reason; she had thought they were pretty adorable too. Willow digs deeper into the contents of her pocket and pulls out a thin snack. She carefully unwraps the paper from the granola bar. She rarely ate pre-wrapped foods, but thought she’d be doing it a lot from now on, so why not start now.

Willow unwraps the bar further, taking another bite. She hears a crackling noise and guesses it’s her. But when she stops unwrapping the bar, the noise continues. Willow spins around, her long braid swiping the back of her bag sac. Her eyes dart around the night-time woods. She glares at the suspicious forest that was willing to hide both friends and foe alike.

Willow frowns, straightens her bag, and turns to the road. A dark shadowed figure stands in front of her. At the sight of this Willow jumps back, sucking in a deep breath of air. She quickly goes into her karate stance, holding up both fists, her legs spread apart. Her bar falls to the ground. “Show yourself!” She shouts her heart pounding. The figure holds up its hands, surrendering before the fight even begins. “Hey! Hey, Starr, it’s me!” comes a young girl’s voice.

Kia steps out of the shadows, revealing herself to Willow. Willow’s shoulders slump, and she stands upright again. “…oh,” She says, confused, though secretly relieved in not having to battle her first day away from home.

“What…what are you doing here?” Willow asks.

Kia shrugs “I wanted to join you,” she smiles, holding a bag strap over her shoulder.

Willow frowns “Master Ying didn’t send you?” she asks. Kia nods. “So…so you’re just here…alone?”

Kia smiles, “yep,” she says, proud of her spontaneous self.

“Wha- no, you can’t be here, Kia, you have to leave, right now!” Willow says, pushing the small thirteen-year-old back up the dirt road. Kia buries her feet in the land leaving a dark trail as Willow pushes her. She shakes Willow off and turns to face her. “No way, I can’t go back, Master Ying’s gonna kill me if he finds out I left!” she snaps.

“Then why’d you leave?!”

“Because, Starr! I’m tired of being too scared to do anything! To go anywhere! I’m coming with you!”

Kia folds her arms, closing her eyes to show that her decision’s final. Willow frowns, wanting to say more, but she really could use Kia’s help, and maybe others too.

Willow sighs, looking from Kia, to the dirt road. She turns her back to Kia. “Fine,” she breathes, and continues to walk. Kia looks up at Willow, surprised. “Really?” She asks. Willow looks back at her and shrugs “you already left didn’t you.” Kia smiles and catches up with Willow. And that was how Willow recruited her first group member.



That night the two make camp a mile from home in Kaven territory.





© Copyright 2010 Dream-out-loud (sierrat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691082-Starr-WIllow