*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691330-The-misunderstanding
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1691330
Things don't turn out right in a girl's first sleepover. I write from experence.
I was so excited! Today was the day I was having my first sleepover! I invited my best friend Rachel, and no one else. It was going to be us, just us. We would talk all night, watch movies, and have the best time ever!
Our school day was made up of eight class periods - five academic classes and three electives. I had Rachel for five of them. First, second, fourth, sixth, and seventh. Unfortunately, I didn’t see her in eighth period to make sure she was still coming, so I just asked her in seventh.
“You’re still coming to my sleepover, right Rachel,” I asked desperately. I hoped I didn’t sound too desperate, though.
She smiled. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world!” I took a sigh of relief. I was so glad I didn’t have to go the rest of the day worrying.
After eighth period, the bell finally declared school would be over for the weekend. I rushed to go meet Rachel, but she was nowhere in sight. I checked in the classroom, but she wasn’t in there either! Maybe she already went up to the car, I thought, praying I was right. My mother had taken off time from work to drive us home, because she knew how hard it was for me to make friends.
I ran over to the student pickup area, and walked up and down it about five times. She still wasn’t there! Finally, I determinately stomped over to the school office, and requested an intercom message to call her down to the student pickup area. I didn’t know if that was going too far, but it apparently wasn’t far enough. She never came. Nearly in tears, I shoved myself in my mother’s van and explained what happened.
The second the van pulled into the driveway of our home, I bolted over to the phone and punched in the numbers to her house phone. She answered, and I didn’t even realize there was something wrong with her voice.
“Why aren’t you here?” I asked through gritted teeth. “How could you!”
“Danielle, I’m so sorry! I was stung by a bee in eighth period.”
“Wha-” Then I remembered. She’s allergic to bees.

Word count- 369
© Copyright 2010 <3music (bandnerrd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691330-The-misunderstanding