*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691391-Dont-Fear-The-Reaper
by Jordi
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1691391
Overcoming your greatest fears
A mirror can not lie to you. Its silver-backed surface should reflect the image of the person or object that stood before it without any discrepancy or false imagery. That was what she had always believed until now. Until she had stood before the full length gilt-framed mirror in her room and studied the reflection before her.

The woman stood before her looked calm and serene. The fine blond hair had been expertly styled and cut into a fashionable layered bob that skimmed her shoulders and framed her face. The smooth, peaches and cream complexion had been enhanced by a gentle brush of a soft pink blush to highlight the high cheekbones and to draw an observer to the dark blue eyes that stared back at you.

The eyes, often so expressive yet today revealing nothing, had been framed by a soft, indigo eye-shadow whilst her lashes had been gently stretched and curved by a fine coat of mascara making them appear both serene and mysterious.

The turquoise sheath dress that hugged her slender figure completed the ensemble. It was not a dress that she would have chosen for herself but she had been told that it would be perfect for tonight. Creating an image of a sexy yet confidant young woman ready to take on the world.

Well, she thought to herself, they certainly had succeeded with the image but it had done nothing for the real woman inside! She was a mass of nerves, worrying constantly over what she was about to do. She didn’t just have butterflies in her stomach, she had giant condors flapping around!

She continued to stare at the reflection before her, fighting hard not to bite her lips and ruin the lush red lip gloss that had been so expertly applied earlier.

A knock sounded at the door breaking into her thoughts. “Miss Taylor, they’re ready for you.”

“Thanks,” she replied back, her voice sounding rusty. She took a deep breath and stole one last look into the mirror before opening the door and stepping out into the corridor.


A mirror can not lie to you. Its silver-backed surface should reflect the image of the person or object that stood before it without any discrepancy or false imagery. That was what she had always believed until now. Until she had stood before the full length gilt-framed mirror in her room and studied the reflection before her.

The woman who stood before seemed to glow with happiness and excitement. Her blue eyes sparkled with life whilst the full red lips seemed to be lifted in a permanent smile. The blond hair bounced around her shoulders as she glanced about the crowded room watching the people that talked around her. The woman who stood before her did not seem to reflect the level of excitement that was flowing around her body. A far cry from the nerves that had been flowing through her earlier.

“Miss Taylor? Excellent performance tonight. I understand that the record label are extremely confidant about your debut single.”

“Thank you. I’m feeling pretty confidant about it myself,” she replied to the young man who had played in the band that had accompanied her on the stage.

“You certainly handled yourself like a pro out there tonight. Hope to play with you again, sometime.” He nodded to her before retreating into the crowd.

She stared after him for a second, reflecting on the events of the evening. Less than two hours before she had been stood in this dressing room, terrified thinking about what she was about to do. She had gone out and performed in front of a packed arena as though it was something that she had done a thousand times before rather than it being the first time. Now she felt like she could conquer the world without any doubts about her abilities.
© Copyright 2010 Jordi (jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691391-Dont-Fear-The-Reaper