*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691435-The-Leviathan
by Oddone
Rated: 13+ · Other · Dark · #1691435
Dark and depressing but ironic in its own way. Every day turned Amazing




The Leviathan


It all started on a bright and sunny April morning. Vincent was running late for work which wasn’t new considering the fact that his alarm clock never seemed to work properly. His boss Wendy never seemed to mind if he was a little late. Vincent had always wondered about Wendy; she was cute with her red hair that was usually in pigtail and her pale white skin. He had been attracted to her from the first time he saw her, some how hypnotized by her sea-green eyes and girlish giggles. Vincent however, would never admit this to her since he was sure she was gong to marry her bozo boyfriend Cliff.
Cliff, the name worked its way through Vincent’s rushing thoughts. Vincent loathed Cliff. He hated him with immense passion but not just, because he was dating Wendy. Vincent had hated Cliff because Cliff had always beaten him at everything. When Vincent applied for Boston University, so did Cliff. Cliff got in, Vincent was rejected, When Vincent’s hair turned its silver color, Cliff got Rogaine but that was the way thing had always been so Vincent dismissed the idea, grabbed his coat and keys as he went out the door.
Vincent floured his Chevy El Comino down the highway trying to make up lost time when he caught a glimpse of himself in the rearview mirror. His steel-blue eyes gazed at himself but only for a moment. Vincent hated looking at himself ever since his hair had turned it unnatural silvery color. He was only 25 and his hair was already a silver color, and his sun-kissed skin was old and leathery. He looked as if he was a least twice his actual age, but inside of him he felt extraordinarily strong. It felt as though he could do absolutely anything, lift a car, breathe fire, and some days he even felt that he was bullet proof. Not that he was of course but that was still the way he felt and he liked it. It gave him a kind of untouchable attitude. That attitude got him in trouble in the past though, like in 1998 when he had been arrested for burglary at the age of fifteen.
Suddenly, Vincent’s eyes returned to the road just as a car pulled out in front of him, cutting him off and almost knocking him off the road. Vincent swerved to get out of the drivers way and again to get back on the road. Afterwards he let free the bird and honked his horn to let the drive a head of him know just how angry he was but the driver went on pretending not to hear or care and turned left on Mulberry Drive.
As the drive disappeared from view Vincent felt disheartened. Things like that had always happened to him. Someone would come along and take cuts in front of him in life. Always taking his place for the good things and leaving him behind to rot in his misfortune. Like when he was diagnosed with his rare and unusual disease niveus-provectus-neosis. It was what had turned his hair silver and his skin old. It also gave him a load of other unordinary symptoms, such as glazed eyes an allergy to leather. The doctors said that it was genetic and that he was just plain unlucky to inherit the disease.
Unlucky, they got that right, Vincent thought as drove down Beach Lane.
Beach Lane was a beautiful road, it was right next to the ocean and the beach sand had a black tint to it. At night if you not careful you can drive right in to the beach without realizing it but as Vincent drove by, he noticed something, something he had never before noticed. The sea, it was boiling, and steam was rising from it as if it was a giant boiling pot. Vincent slowed to observe this bizarre happening. Eventually he came to a stop and stepped out of the car. Vincent walked to the beach, slow and cautious he put his hand in the water. Pain surged though him, as he retracted his hand. It was as if he stuck his hand into a blazing inferno.
Then all at once a huge wave appeared, it most of been 30 feet high and out of that the most amazing thing appeared. It was a giant sea serpent. It had huge armor like scales that were closely compacted together and his double row of teeth were so massive that they took up the entirety of his jaw but that was not what Vincent was concentrated on, instead he was gazing effortlessly at the beast’s eyes. They poured light from them like the lanterns of light house; they hypnotized him in their beauty and their power. Fire came forth from its mouth in great blazes. The monsters skin was an ominous pale color, and gray shaggy hair covered the roof of its head.
Vincent and the monster stared at each other for a time, some how at peace, even though the weather had suddenly, if not magically changed to a stormy tone. A low growl settled in the throat of the magnificent beast, its shear power shook the ocean causing massive waves to hit the beach right next to where Vincent. Then out of nowhere, lightning struck in the distant bringing with it the loud crack of thunder. Vincent’s knees trembled with the fear, but not at the sight of his sure to be death but of the crack of lightning. Ever since he could remember, he has been terrified at the sound of thunder. He did not know why. (It probably had something to do with the book “Sound of Thunder”, which was odd considering the fact that the book really was that scary and it had nothing to do with thunder) When the leviathan saw him tremble, it wasted no time to swoop down and catch Vincent with in its jaws. Vincent did not scream however, instead he thought all about his life and how it had come to him being eaten by a mythical sea dragon that no one believed existed, and how his life amounted to nothing. The only thing Vincent took solace in as the leviathans’ double row teeth penetrated his sun-kissed skin and ripped him apart was the fact that this, amazing death was all his own and no one would be cutting in front of him in life any more.
© Copyright 2010 Oddone (austing1992 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691435-The-Leviathan