*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691806-Opposites-Attract-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1691806
After losing his job, Kevin Sanders must resort to the thing he hates most: Driving.
         Kevin stood up with a big stretch and smiled, feeling completely refreshed. He ruffled his brown hair and his brown eyes glanced at the clock and his smile dropped.
         “Crap!” he yelled and ran into the bathroom.
         His alarm didn’t go off and he searched frantically for a tie to match his suit. All he could think was how fired he was going to be if he got there even one minute late. Things didn’t improve when he finally got on the road to a traffic jam.
         “S’pose I can blame it on this,” he muttered to himself, glaring at the clock.
         Kevin worked as a sales rep for the local cutlery magazine. He hated it but it paid for his squalid little apartment. When he finally got to the building, he hesitated before entering. His boss wasn’t the friendliest man on the earth.
         Everyone was bustling about the building, carrying stacks of paper or chattering away on the phone. Some smirked at him as he tip toed his way to his cubicle. He knelt down as he passed his boss’s office so he wouldn’t see him and quickly ran to his cubicle. He paused at his neighbor’s to say hi.
         “Running late again?” Matthew asked and Kevin shrugged, walking backwards.
         “You know what they say,” he laughed and turned.
         He groaned quietly as his boss leaned back in the rolling chair, an eyebrow quirked inquisitively.
         “No, Mr. Sanders. I don’t know what they say.”
         “Good morning, Mr. Anderson,” Kevin muttered.
         “What’s the excuse this time?” Mr. Anderson asked, standing up.
         “Excuse?” Kevin asked, deciding to play the stupid role.
         “Mr. Sanders, you do realize this is your fifth late day this month?”
         Kevin bit his lower lip as people peered over their walls. “I am now,” he said slowly.
         “This has gone on long enough,” Mr. Anderson said and pulled the plug on Kevin’s computer. “Pack your desk.”
         Kevin glared at Mr. Anderson’s back as he sauntered off.
         “Sorry, dude,” Matthew said with a smile but Kevin just shrugged.
         “I hated this job anyway,” he said loud enough for Mr. Anderson to hear.
         Matthew laughed and Kevin got out a box.
                                                           -
         On the other side of New York City, Velvet Summers was getting ready for her day. She straightened her long black hair and framed her brilliant green eyes gently in black eyeliner. She ran blood red lipstick onto her lips and narrowed her eyes dangerously at the clock.
         She tucked the charm to her necklace under her blouse, pulling on a professional jacket. She smoothed out the wrinkles in her black skirt and dialed a number on her phone.
         “Where is he?” she demanded when the person answered.
         “I’m not sure, Miss Summers. Shall I call him?
         “What do you think?” she snapped and hung up, shaking her head at the impudence.
         Thirty minutes later a car pulled up in front of her home. She glared at the driver as he got out and opened the door for her.
         “This will be the last time you’re drive me around,” she snapped and the old man sighed sadly.
         Velvet put her seatbelt on and dialed another phone number.
         “Summers International this is Carli speaking!
         “Carli, it’s Velvet.”
         “Oh! Hello, Miss Summer! How are you this wonderful morning?
         “Carli, do me a favor and drop the happiness. My driver was late this morning.” Carli made a sympathetic noise and Velvet rolled her eyes. “I’ll be there in ten minutes.”
         “Ok, Miss Summer! I’ll let John know.
         “Wait. Is he there now?”
         “Yes ma’am.
         “Great,” she sighed. “All right. Tell him I’ll be there shortly.”
         “I will.
         Velvet shook her head. Carli was a good secretary but she was too much of a morning person. She dialed one last phone number.
         “Is he still not there?
         “Send a new driver tomorrow morning at 7:30 am sharp. Think you can manage that?”
         “Yes, Miss Summer.
         “Good.”
         She sighed and got out, brushing past the driver without a second glance. The doors were opened for her as she greeted her business partner, John Carmichael. They shook hands and she led him into her office, taking the mail from Carli’s hand as she did so.
         “Sorry for running late,” she sighed but he waved his hand dismissively. “I’m getting a new driver tomorrow morning.”
         John looked at her. “Another one?”
         “They’re all imbeciles!”
         John chuckled. He was a few inches taller than her with blond hair and blue eyes. He was very handsome and they had tried to date once. However, things got awkward so they’ve settled with just being friends and partners.
         “What’s on the agenda today, boss?” he asked, throwing himself into a chair in front of her desk.
         She sighed and turned her computer on. “Install a coffee maker in my office,” she answered and he chuckled.
         “You know what coffee does to you.”
         “Yeah,” she snapped. “It wakes me up.”
         “Other than that, Velvet,” he said sternly and she rolled her eyes but smiled anyway.
         “Whatever. No, we need to contact Mr. Jackson and find out what his deal is,” she said, typing in his name and pulling up his account. “He’s behind on his payments.”
         “I will do that,” he said and Velvet nodded as she pulled out her work. He observed her for a second. “You’re probably the only accountant who does work around here.”
         Her head snapped up to look at him. “That had better be a joke.”
         “Well, it kind of is,” he spluttered. “I mean, you’re the only who holds multiple accounts. The others do work, of course, they just-”
         “Go get Mr. Jackson on the phone, please,” she interrupted and he nodded, leaving quickly.
         She sighed and returned to her work.
                                                                     -
         “I so do not want to do this,” Kevin groaned and his friend, James, shook his head.
         “You don’t have a choice, dude. You need a job.”
         “But I hate driving!”
         James worked for a business that provided rides to people who had disabilities and couldn’t drive themselves. After drinks the night before, James dragged him out of bed at 6 to get ready to pick this woman up for work.
         “Now, this woman is very important,” James said, looking Kevin straight in the eyes. “You cannot be late. You cannot speed. You cannot double park. You cannot run lights. You cannot be late.”
         “You said that already,” Kevin said and James rolled his eyes.
         “Go get her. Here’s the address.”
         “Aye, aye, captain,” he muttered and got into the fancy black car.
         He was nervous about going to pick up this woman. But the pay was good and maybe she would be talkative. Judging by the fear in James’ eyes, though, he doubted it. When he pulled up to a large house, he heard her before he saw her.
         Fast clicking heels and her voice floated from the house. He peered over his sunglasses and blinked in surprise. She had to be his age if not a year or two younger. She was gorgeous and walked with a business-like air. She didn’t look like she had a disability at all! He had expected some 60 year old woman who didn’t know how to use deodorant.
         As she stopped in front of him, though, he could tell she definitely knew what deodorant was.
         “Are you going to open the door?” she asked in a tired voice.
         “Oh. Yes. Sorry.”
         “What’s your name?”
         “Kevin Sanders,” he answered and she nodded.
         She got in and he shut the door when he knew she was clear. He saw her nametag on her briefcase as he crossed to the front again. Velvet Summers.
         “Work,” she said and he looked at her in the rearview mirror. “Oh. Forgot. 1005 Northwest 80th St.”
         “I can do that,” he nodded. “How’d you sleep?”
         She had her phone out and she looked at him. “Perhaps you should focus on driving, Mr. Sanders.”
         “Right,” he breathed and cleared his throat, adjusting his glasses.
                                                           -
         He’s cute. Who is he?
         Velvet only had to wait a few seconds for James’ answer.
         Was he on time?
         Yes. Now answer the question.
         His name is Kevin Sanders. He was fired from his last job because his boss was a real ass. You’re in good hands, Miss Summers.
         He’s not a freak?
         Of course not, ma’am.
         He asked me how I slept.
         Kevin comes from a… different tree if you catch my meaning. I’ll talk to him.
         Good. I’ll give him a week.
         Thank you, Miss Summers.
         Velvet put her phone in her purse and looked at the back of Kevin’s head as he drove. He was very good at it, she had to give him that. He didn’t take sharp turns like her last driver and he didn’t speed.
         When he pulled up to her work, she nodded once at him.
         “Be back at five,” she instructed.
         “Yes, Miss Summers. I read your tag,” he added when she stared.
         “You could’ve just asked,” she said.
         “You didn’t give me much of a chance.”
         Velvet narrowed her eyes.
         “Five o’clock sharp.”
© Copyright 2010 Batty Koda (battykoda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691806-Opposites-Attract-Chapter-One