*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692925-Of-course-not-Mom
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1692925
Were you ?
                300 words

                  At 2 AM the channel switched to an infomercial as soon as she entered the room. Lavern's 12 year old son watched her with a nervous look on his face. He kept the remote behind his back in the deep brown recliner. Laverne stood patiently in front of the flat screen tv waiting for the product to be revealed. The salesman told the audience they would get a great knife set with purchase of the pots and pan set.



         She knew he wasn't interested in this stuff. "What were you watching?" She calmly asked.



         With a small shake in his voice he replied, "Nothing. Why?"

         "You know why. I've told you I am going to cut cable off if I caught you watching that smut again! Give me the remote, now."



         "Mom, I wasn't. I swear." He slowly stuck the remote out in front of her.



         "Don't lie to me!" She said as she pressed the up channel button once. A large man on a motorcycle fell sideways onto concrete and laughter filled the background of the show. She pressed the small down channel button twice and held her breath as the Smurf's theme music introduced the show.  "You really weren't watching that stuff by yourself at 2 in the morning?" She asked.



         "Of course not, Mom." He said with a little more confidence.  Using the last channel button threw her off my track. Ha.



         Laverne walked across the Berber carpet to the shelf behind the recliner. She picked up a teddy bear and popped a tiny USB memory card out of the back. She jammed it into the side port of the Flat screen tv and hit INPUT on the remote while staring hard at her son.



         "Fine cut off cable, but please don't watch that nanny cam."

© Copyright 2010 Jay Seymour (sheltertupelo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692925-Of-course-not-Mom