*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693108-The-choice
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Family · #1693108
Witnessing a murder having your parents die,to find out they werent your parents? well...?
Prologue
I was sitting at the window watching the little boy playing on his bike in the cul-de-sac next to ours, he was very young about 5 or 6 and it was his birthday. Or so I thought, he had gotten the bike from his grandparents and was now having a ball riding in little circles, while his parents took photos.
I opened my window and I could hear the parents clapping and the little boy squealing in delight.
I then heard another screech, it was a young baby, from inside the house. The mother ran inside leaving the boy riding in circles. I thought it was very irresponsible.
Before I could even blink a car came screaming around the corner. The door was thrown open, dark hands came snaking out of the car and grabbed the boy, covered his mouth and threw his bike onto the road. The door was closed and the car screeched away.
I knew it was impossible judging by the dark tint on the windows, but I could have sworn I saw black eyes glaring at me, threatening me.

I was frozen in shock, after another two minutes the mum came running back out with the baby, which I now noticed was a girl. Covered in thick pink blanket.
“TYLER.” I heard her yell. I saw panic flash across her face. “TYLER.” When she saw the bike lying in the gutter, the wheel slowly turning the panic turned to horror...
I realised then that I was the only key witness to this, and that I could be in bad trouble if I didn't tell someone.

Now I had a choice.

Chapter One
‘Hospital room’
“What?” I babbled into my mobile during lunch time at school.
“Your mum is in the hospital, she slipped in the kitchen, on some spilt water. She has hurt her head. Badly, they don’t know if she is going to survive.” Uncle Jack told me quickly in the mobile.
“Can you pick me up now?” I asked frantically.
“Yes. Get out the front quickly I have about five minutes till I get there.” He said, I sighed. And hung up.
I ran to the front of the school and let myself out running to the street. I waited in the gutter, for Jack’s ute to pull up. It seemed like a lifetime before the old Holden screeched around the corner. I threw myself into the car, and we drove on.

“How’s she doing now?” I asked frantically.
“I haven’t had another update yet.” He said his knuckles white over the wheel. His phone started singing pretty vegas.
“That’ll be the hospital, can you answer that.” He said glaring at the road.
“Hello?” I asked into the phone.
“Hello is this Jack Murtle?” The lady asked.
“No this is his niece, Peggy.” I answered smoothly.
“Oh ok, can you get Jack please.” She asked in a droning voice.
“I’m sorry he is driving at the moment can you please give me the message I will pass it on.” I replied feeling like a bit of a bitch.
“Sure, I take it you are Mrs Black’s daughter?” I sighed as she asked this.
“Yes.” I snapped.
“Oh ok, well she is awake now, we would like you to come as fast as you can, she may not have long.” I felt my heart break hearing that news. Jack had already told me, but hearing it from a stranger suddenly made it more real.
“We are about 30 seconds away.” I said as jack turned into the parking lot.

I hung up the phone, and jumped out of the car.
“Emergency?” I asked, as we rushed through the car park.
“No critical unit.” He said, I had been in that unit, when dad had died three years ago. So I knew it well, I felt my stomach tighten, remembering that day.

“Honey, can you pass me the water from the coffee table?” Dad had asked me. I quickly grabbed the water and placed it in his shaking hand. “Thanks.”
His skin had gone very chalky, in the three weeks he had been in the hospital, He had lost almost 35 kilo’s and was starting to look like skin and bones. He was very shaky anytime he tried to move, and he had three I.V’s in his arms.
I reached out and placed my hands in and around his. I felt a small amount of pressure, I squeezed back lightly, and looked up at his face. His smile was weak and I tried to smile back but as his face dropped and he winced in pain my smile got mangled on my face.
I looked at Mum, who was on his other side looking as down as I felt. I could smell it, the hospital smell. They tried to cover it all up with bleach and cleaning products but underneath there was always that smell of death...

I dreaded going back into that unit, being overwhelmed by that stench, but I forced myself through the doors.
“Room 1” Jack whispered in my ear. I nodded. I walked through the frosted glass doors and saw her lying on the bed I rushed over to the bed and watched her eyes stop on my face.
“Peggy.” She croaked I shook my head and took her hand feeling the familiar tears run down my cheeks. She stared at me as I stared back and jack pulled a chair out for me.

I sat down robotically just gazing down into my mothers eyes.
“Peggy.” She croaked out again.
“I’m here.” I said my voice raked with emotion.
“I just wanted you to have this.” She said and gave me a small box. I went to open it but her hands stopped me. “No Peggy, you must wait. Wait until you are in a happier place!” I nodded as she said this, I placed the box in my hand bag careful not to put anything heavy on top.
“Now when you open it, you might be angry with me, for not telling you earlier but I’m sure you will figure out why soon enough.” She said softly.
“Huh? What do you mean mum?” I asked choking on my words
“You will find out when you read what is in the box.” She coughed. I only nodded. She started to cough again, hunching over holding her head as the coughing fit took over. I pressed the nurses button.

It had been five minutes and a nurse still hadn’t come and Mum was still holding her head and her stomach coughing. I grabbed the remote and jammed my finger into the nurses button three or four times, and a nurse came running.
“What?” She asked. I glared. And looked pointedly at mum. “Oh dear.” The nurse said running over checking everything. She then sat mum up and put a sick bag under her mouth as mum started throwing up. I felt my stomach heave and Jack lead me out of the room.

“I don’t know.” Jack said again holding me to his chest.
“I don’t want to lose her as well!” I sobbed. He nodded.
“I know honey.” He said. We were sitting in the chairs outside mums room, him on one me splayed across mine and his, while he hugged me tight.
The nurse came out of the room, I looked up at her with my swollen red eyes.
“She is sleeping, the coughing has subsided and we would prefer no-one in there until she wakes up again.” The nurse walked away into the next room. The smell of death, rotting flesh, dying humans was overwhelming to me. My stomach was doing back flips.
“Let’s go get something to eat ey?” Jack said pushing me towards the doors.

We used the lift and were soon out in the fresh air, I started to chew on my lip, something I often did, in distress or discomfort.
“Stop that.” Jack said lightly patting my arm. He knew I couldn’t help it so when I started again five seconds later he didn’t say anything.
“Do you want anything?” He asked me.
“Coffee, with lots of caffeine.” I babbled. “that’s it.” I said as he went to ask me again.
“We’re going to be here a while, you will need some nutrition.” He said to me, frowning slightly.
“No I’m not hungry.” I said, the smell of the hospital rooms, creeping into my head.

We sat in silence eating, well in my case downing two coffees.
“How did it happen?” I asked, the question had been tearing at me since this morning when he had told me.
“They aren’t sure, she claims to have been cooking and then she slipped, but otherwise she can’t remember.” Jack said. I frowned, I remembered back to the little boy and the eyes through the tinted window, I felt goose bumps rise like needles on my skin.
“An accident?” I asked feeling very shaky.
“That’s what she is claiming, but I don’t think it is, she has never slipped once, always careful, she always cleans up spills before they can hurt anyone.” He said confusion crossing his face.
“I know.” Was all I could say. I was convinced the men were behind this.

I thought back to the day, he had a warning look in his eyes, Mum wouldn’t slip in the kitchen I thought, it was impossible. She was too careful sometimes overly careful, which shows how different we are. I would leave a jacket anywhere, she would pick it up and lecture me on how it could hurt someone. I would drop a glass half full of coffee in the sink with the small incentive to come and rinse it later, she would rinse it and explain how stale milk can make someone very sick my response was always ‘who is going to drink milk that is obviously off.’ She would always say ‘it could happen’.
She was to careful for this to be an ‘accident’ So I came to the conclusion it was those men, warning me again that if I told anyone I was screwed. The goose bumps appeared again, pricking like knives.

“Peggy, you ok?” Jack asked rubbing his hands up and down my arms trying to warm me up, but he didn’t know the goose bumps were from fear not from the temperature.
“I’m fine, just worried.” I said. He went back into the shop brought two packets of chips and some chocolate bars.
“Oooh.” I said with fake interest.
“Later.” He said noticing that I was shaking slightly. “Do you want to maybe wait a bit longer? You don’t look stable.” He said watching my hands tremble. I curled them into fists and shook my head.
“I don’t want to miss anything.” I said, he nodded and I could tell he understood.

“Your back.” Mum sighed, and a small smile crept across her face. I tried to smile back, but grimaced instead.
“Mum?” I asked looking at her. She nodded.
“What happened? Honestly?” I said looking into her eyes.
“I slipped.” She said firmly. I nodded knowing she was lying. I glanced at jack and he shrugged.
“Excuse me doctor.” I said walking out to the front desk. A young man around the age of 17 turned around and grinned at me. I felt the air leave my chest, he was gorgeous, in a tousled way. I smiled back then remembered mum and the smile dropped.
“Can I help you?” He asked.
“Your the doctor?” I asked a little harshly.
“Heck no, I’m on apprenticeship twice a week.” He said smiling again, I couldn’t help but smile a little bit back
“Ok well maybe you could help me anyway.” I said looking him up and down, he had tousled black hair that was long but not long enough to be pulled back, I got to his eyes and couldn’t tear my own away, they were a magnificent blue, the colour of the sky on a clear day.

“How can I assist?” He said noticing smiling again, my cheeks went red at getting caught staring.
“My mum, is ill,” I felt all colour drain from my cheeks. “In room 1 and she said she is in a lot of pain.” I said slowly feeling ill.
“Ah ok, well I can give her some Panadol, but if that doesn’t work you will have to wait till the doctor gets off of his lunch break.” He said looking grave I nodded.
I led the way back to the room, mums eyes bulged a little bit when she saw the doctor, I stepped behind him as he attached the Panadol to the I.V drip. She thanked him and he left.

“Wow honey, he was cute.” Mum said laughing, and then grimacing as it hurt her head. I nodded numbly. “And a doctor.” She grinned.
“He’s an apprentice.” I mumbled.
“Well go!” Mum said pointing. “You haven’t had a boyfriend since Matt, and he was a real ass.” Mum said smiling again. I just nodded with no enthusiasm again. Sure he was cute and I could feel myself crushing on him, but I had no intentions of leaving mum in here.

After a while the real doctor came in with the apprentice right on his tail.
“Evening, I’m doctor Jeremy Solute,” He gave a slight chuckle, “And this is my apprentice Benjamin Hollow.”
“But please call me Ben.” Ben said smiling at us. I again felt my stomach clench, I could now put a name to those perfect teeth. I felt mum squeeze my hand with the little energy she had.
“Go for it.” She whispered before the doctor put some medicine in her, that made her go to sleep.




Chapter Two
‘Painful death’
I had been sitting in the same chair, sometimes sleeping sometimes awake, and others in between the two. But mum was always there no matter what. Although sometimes she slept she was still alive.
The doctors said she was going to make a great recovery and I was so happy!
“Peggy.” Uncle Jack said throwing me a chocolate bar, I caught it with a smile. We had all brightened since they had said mum was going to survive.

“Peggy darling go home with uncle jack, so that you can get some proper sleep.” Mum said to me putting her nearly steady hand onto my cheek.
“You sure mum?” I asked yawning.
“Yes.” She almost yelled. I nodded, and quickly got up.
“I will be back by five.” I said glancing at my watch seven am, good I could get a good sleep and eat something and be back before mum would be getting up again.
“Ok sweetheart, love you.” She said.
“You too.” I said kissing her on the cheek smothering another yawn, she laughed and gestured for the door.
“I will be out of here soon.” She said smiling, I smiled back and then walked out with Jack.

“So do you think she will be out soon?” I asked Jack, feeling bubbly and tired inside.
“I do. The doctors say she recovering beautifully.” He said.
“GOOD.” I said sighing.
“You sick of all the take away?” He asked me, I glared at him.
“Don't push it. Macca’s is still as good as it was a week ago.” He laughed.“I'm so tired.” I grumbled the whole way home.
“Oh shush ya wimp.” He grinned as I slapped his arm. “Oh you can walk missy.” He laughed and pulled over to the side. I clung to his arm oh I'm sorry. He tickled me and I fell back onto my chair. Exhausted.

“Oh shush.” I said grinning at my friend. She grinned back.
“How’s Dad doing?” She asked me looking worried.
“Uh, not so good Jade.” I replied suddenly feeling weak.
“Sorry Peggy.” She said putting an arm around me. I felt my eyes fill with tears.
“It's ok.” I said wiping away the tears, putting on the tough girl act.
“Peggy I'm your best friend I thought you would have trusted me enough with your tears.” She said, she always got annoyed when I put on my tough girl, because I knew I turned into a real bitch when I did.
“Sorry.” I said, my shoulders slumping back down. “I just, He’s gonna die Jade, I don't think I could handle that.” I felt the tears burn their way down my cheeks.
“I know Peggy.” She said softly holding me softly in her arms, “Just remember I'm always here, and there are so many people you can go and see.”

I sat up suddenly, the dream flooding into my mind, my eyes filled with the betrayal. Jade was always there when I needed her, she had dragged me to several counselling appointments that mum had organised that I didn't believe I needed. And at everyone I would sit down and start to just blab, about everything I was feeling, I cried I yelled. I owed Jade so much for all of this, she helped me through the whole lot.

I had another before Jack was taking us back to the hospital so I decided to call her.
“Hello?” She said when the receiver picked up.
“Hey Jade.” I said a smile on my face.
“Oh hi, how’s your mum I heard she got sick.” She asked straight away.
“Yeah just an accidental knock on her head but she is fine, probably coming home tomorrow or the next day.” I said nodding to myself.
“That good. How’ve you been?” She asked.
“Meh, haven’t been having much sleep, Jack dragged me home and I had about 8 hours.” I laughed at the stupidity.
“That's good. I'm sorry Peggy I want to talk to you but I have Daniel over.” I laughed.
“Ok Jade, have fun.” I taunted.
“Oh shut up.” We said our goodbyes and hung up.

I went into the bathroom and cleaned myself up added a bit of the makeup I kept here. And I was done. Ben was working today. I bit my lip and fixed my hair again.
“PEGGY. We’re leaving in a minute whether you are done or not.” Jack yelled through the door. I jumped out and launched myself at his back.
“I'm done.” I whispered.
“Good get in the car.” He laughed at me. I glanced at his eyes, they were very dark, I hadn’t noticed that before. It gave me goose bumps.
“Going.” I said walking slowly to the car.

When we were heading back to the hospital he asked if I was ok, and several times I just nodded.
His phone started to go off, I glanced at him and answered.
“Hello? Is Jack available?” The lady on the other end asked.
“No,” I said, “He’s driving, I will pass anything on.” I said having a slight experience of déjà vu
“Ok, can you tell him that his sister Amanda Cross, has had another accident. She was going to the bathroom to have a shower, but she was impatient and didn't wait for one of the nurses. When we found her she had a broken arm and several more head wounds.” She trailed off at this. I gasped, the phone dropped to the floor.
Jack saw my face.
“What?” he snapped.
“Mum, has slipped again, broken arm bad head injuries.” I said he increased the speed.
“Hello?” I asked into the receiver.
“We must have cut out.” She said.
“Mmm, we will be there when we can.” I said, and hung up.

We arrived and again I felt the weariness grab me, and again I remembered Dad...
I ran up the stairs not waiting for the lift, I didn't know if Jack was behind me or not, I didn't care. I ran into mums room and saw her lying on the bed. The doctor tried to usher me out, I yelled that I was her daughter and he let me stay. Ben was there he came over to me and explained the damage.
“The scar tissue that healed before, has now been torn open as well as several other places. She most likely has amnesia and brain damage, when they found her she was conscious, she had no idea of her surroundings or who she is.” He said, I felt the hot tears running down my cheeks again. He put his arms around me.
“I'm so sorry Peggy.” I placed my hands on his lower back.
“I wanna talk to you later ok, after everything has settled down in here.” He murmured to me. I nodded.

I watched them unwrap the bandage from mums head and saw the old wound gaping I turned around, Ben, handed me a bag, and I gagged into it.
“Shhh it's ok.” He said leading me out of the room to sit just outside. The smell of death was just as bad.
“What did you want to talk about?” I asked trying to distract myself. It was hard when I could hear mum waking up and moaning.
“Well, I kinda like you.” He said, my stomach lurched, not so much from his words more for the fact that mum screamed in absolute agony.
“I kinda like you too.” I said, as mum let another scream go. I jumped up. “I can't talk about this right now.” I said. It was silent except for the soft discussing of the doctors. I started to relax then I heard a thump and another scream.

About twenty minutes had passed and occasionally mum would shriek in pain and in between I would stress that she was dead.
“What is the thumping noise?” I asked Ben.
“It's them trying to get her heart into a more stable rhythm.” He said quietly.
“And I take it because there is so many, it isn’t working yet?” I felt my stomach shrink.
“She will be ok Peggy.” He tried to say firmly but it came out broken.
“I don't know Ben.” I replied placing my head into my palms.
“I don't know how to say this, but what has happened is very deadly, she will be unlikely to survive.” He said, I nodded I already knew this, but hearing it still made fresh tears run down my already burnt and swollen cheeks.

It had been nearly two hours, the thumping had decreased to once every fifteen minutes, Her screaming was muffled by the medication. Ben had been called into the room, and I didn't want to go in so I sat out on the floor curled into a ball rocking softly. I started humming to myself at one stage, and even prayed.
Dear lord, god or whoever you are. My mum never took me to church so I don't know who you are, if your real or if I have a bad reputation up there. But my mum is fatefully ill, she is dying. I need some help, any help. Please don't let her die. Amen.
I felt the tears burning again and just let them.

After a while a few of the doctors left her room and I snuck in, I noticed it was only Jack, me, Doctor Jeremy and Ben. I sighed, and sat in the chair. Mum would twitch and groan, I sat in the chair as far away from the bed as possible, I couldn't bare hearing her moans of pain and seeing her blood stained skin.
I thought about only a few hours ago, she was lying in that same bed, with a smile on her face and her hair straight and shiny.
Now she was in pain, her face was lined with it her hair had gotten oily from the sweat and hung in dirty clumps around her head.

I shivered.
“Ben.” I whispered hoarsely.
“Yeah?” He asked me trying to smile. With my eyes on mum, I walked out the door.
“What's the matter?” He asked touching my shoulder. “I mean besides your mum?” he said stuttering slightly. I pressed my fingers to his lips and shook my head.
“Is she going to die?” I whispered not trusting my voice yet.
“Peggy, I'm not going to lie, we don't think she will live and if she does she won’t remember anyone.” He said wincing as he said the words.
“No, she will remember me, there is no way she will forget her daughter!” I spluttered.
“I'm sorry Peggy, she won’t remember anyone.” He said his voice going soft.
“NO, SHE CAN'T FORGET ME, SHE WONT FORGET ME.” I yelled, pulling away from his hand reaching out to me.
“Peggy.” He said. I ran back into mum’s room and picked up her hand.
“MUM, MUM, MUM WAKE UP.” I screamed. Jack looked at Ben, I glared at both of them.

“Mum, I know your there, wake up.” I started to sob. “You have to wake up, please.” My head fell forward onto her chest and I sobbed.
“Peggy, darling go with Ben.” Jack said into my ear pulling me away from mum.
“MUM I'M HERE WHEN YOU WAKE UP. Please wake up.” I yelled over my shoulder. I let Ben lead me out into the waiting room.
“Peggy I'm so sorry.” He said. I collapsed into a chair and pulled my knee’s up to my chest.
“She won’t remember me.” I sobbed. He sat next to me and put his arm around me. I leant my head into his shoulder and cried.

Chapter Three
‘Jacks Place’
“Peggy breakfast is ready darling.” He said outside my bedroom door.
“Not hungry” I murmured back.
“Can I come in?” He asked.
“Uhhuh.” I replied. I heard the door open and felt hims it down next to my feet.
“This has to stop Peggy.” Jack said.
“What? I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat for the sake of it.” I snapped.
“I know, but you haven’t been hungry for nearly three days. Ever since your mum.”
“DON'T SAY IT.” I snapped feeling my eyes fill with tears again.
“Ok ever since the hospital incident.” He said instead.

“Mum, hey mum.” I said seeing mums eyes flitter. Jack hovered nearby and Ben was in the corner.
“mmmmm” Mum moaned. I pressed the doctors button and one of them came running.
“She’s awake.” I said. The doctor pushed Jack aside and started taking tests.
“Where am I?” mum was murmuring.
“I'm doctor Physlakea.” Said the doctor, always a different doctor. Ben shook his head.
“This is doctor James.” He said rolling his eyes. I forced a smile at James, he nodded.
“Mum?” I asked looking at her.
“Who?” She asked her eyes rolling around a little bit.
“oh no.” I said my eyes stinging as the tears filled them again.

“Peggy you need to eat.” Jack said again. I shook my head feeling the tears run down my swollen cheeks. “Ok, come out if you’re hungry, he left.

I had mums hand in both of mine, she was awake but her eyes were rolling around in her head. Ben had said they weren’t going to do any treatment because she was going to die anyway.
“Mum, mum. I love you.” I said quietly, she just stared blankly at me. I could see the pain flashing through her eyes. Eventually they went blank. I gasped No, NO, NO she wasn't dead.

Then just as I was about to scream, she did. Her ear splitting spine tingling shriek of pain cut through the night. I got the goosebumps and cried.
Ben came running in and took me away while James gave her a needle, her body went limp in minutes and she never woke up again.

I buried my head in my pillow, I didn't want to remember her like that it was just so hard.
I opened my diary and put a dash next to the red dot, on the paper. I then read and re-read what was written on the first pages about mum, reading it made the tears come faster but I let them fall on the pages, they smudged the writing but I didn't care I was content sitting here crying for the minute.
“Peggy?” Jack was at the door again, “There is someone here to talk to you honey, she has come to help you and to listen.” I heard to murmured voices from the other side of the door and then Jacks voice again.
“Her name is Alicia, she really wants to talk to you darling.” I got sick of it and opened the door.

Standing there was a beautiful girl 17 maybe, she had black, almost blue hair, it had light brown highlights and it was cut short pixie like, she had a blue dress that brought out the green in her eyes beautifully, and she was wearing blue heels to match. She had a shy almost scared smile on her lips and her eyes were worried.
“Can I come in and talk to you?” She asked her voice shaking, she raised her hand to her face and it shook.
“Uh, sure.” I said looking at Jack, he shrugged. “Just give me a minute to become presentable.” I said, my eyes becoming moist as I remembered what I had been unpresentable about in the first place.
“Sure.” Her voice was quite high, proving her nervousness. I tried to smile, but it came out all crooked and dismantled.

I walked into the bathroom and looked at all my make-up trying to decide which one would cover up my blotched face better. I settled for my normal foundation and chucked that on pulled my hair into a bun and put on something other than my dirty sweats.
“Ok I'm ready.” I said walking into the lounge room Alicia looked up at me and smiled.
“Cool.” She said standing up. I led her to my bedroom, and I sat on my bed gesturing for her to follow, she did and then clutched her hands in her lap.
“How about we start with who you are.” I said still wondering who the stranger was.
“Well I'm Alicia Hollowash, I am 16 and I am going to Bleaker-Wood boarding school I'm on my summer break, I will be going back in May.” She said trying to smile again.

I looked at her and realised, I felt sorry for her, the poor girl didn't have a life, she was told what to do and I was pretty sure she did it without question.
“Ok, may I ask why your here?” I asked knowing that I sounded rude.
“Yes, well I was at the hospital the same nights you were, my father was ill he, had a stomach tumour, and they had just removed it.

“We were in the room next to yours, I heard everything, I didn't mean to eavesdrop but my dad was sleeping and I had nothing to do and then I heard everything said in your room. I felt so guilty for eavesdropping I felt I had an obligation to come over and apologise and two, see if you’re ok with everything that I heard and saw, you looked pretty torn. I thought you could do with someone to talk to, someone to lean on maybe.” She finally finished and took a deep breath.

My mouth wouldn’t work, I was frozen in shock. I had never had someone care this much before, mum used to come in if she’d see me upset, but this was an absolute shock.
“Uh, thanks.” I managed to stutter out, she smiled softly.
“I’m also kinda new in town, so I just wanted to know, when your over it I mean, if you uh, wanted to hang out sometime.” Her words came out all jumbled. I nodded slowly.
“That would be nice I could introduce you to Jade as well.” I said thinking ahead a bit.
“Yeah, I don't know anyone it would be nice to introduced to a few people.” She said pulling me out of my thoughts.

Later after she’d left I walked out to the lounge room, and saw Jack’s Twisties sitting on the couch I went and turned the telle on and started eating.
“Oh my god, Peggy, you’re eating!” Jack walked in and patted my head.
“Hang on, Kiddo. What exactly are you eating.” He said glaring at me. I grinned and he stayed glaring my smile faultered. I held out the packet, he snatched it and slammed the kitchen door. I got up and walked to my room locking the door again.

What could have made Jack act so cruelly just over a packet of Twisties??

Chapter four
New friends
“Hey Jade.” I said answering my mobile.
“Hey, how have you been lately?” She asked
“Meh, I have definitely been better, but I'm ok considering. Although one thing has been kind of scaring me.”
“What's that?”
“Well Uncle Jack, has been all funny. If I do anything wrong even something very trivial, he goes off like I killed his cat.” I said thinking back to this morning.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Jack yelled walking in while I was on the computer.
“I'm on the computer?” I said looking questioningly at him.
“Uhhuh I can see that. Did you ask?” He snapped.
“No it's my computer.” I said feeling stupid.
“Yeah whatever, just, what is wrong with you? You always do stuff wrong these days!” He yelled and walked out slamming my door.

“PEGGY?” I heard jade yell into the phone.
“Oh, hi.” I said remembering my phone conversation.
“You okay? I thought I lost you for a moment there.” She said laughing nervously.
“Sorry, just thinking.” I mumbled to her.
“Anything you want to share?” She asked, I could hear the worry saturating her voice.
“Not yet, I haven’t quite figured out whats wrong yet.”
“Oh ok, crap, sorry honey but mum needs the phone I’ll call you tomorrow. Bye”
“Bye.” I said and realised she’d already hung up.

“PEGGY!” I heard Jack yell. I sighed inwardly. ‘Bring it on’ I thought to myself.
“Yeah?” I said walking slowly into the kitchen.
“I just wanted to apologise for earlier. I had no right talking to you like that.” He said, I looked hard at him, he looked honest, but there was something about that made him look smug almost.
“Ok.” I said nodding. He smiled and I grinned back.
“So we good?” He asked.
“Uhhuh. Hey what’s for dinner?” I asked, his eyes flashed once and went calm again.
“It's your night to cook munchkin” He said softly punching my arm.
“Oh ok, well can I walk down to the shops?” I asked grabbing my bag.
“Yup.” He said walking into the garage, I heard the door lock behind him.

On my way down to the shops I thought about why Jack was acting so weird, and thought that it might be because mum had died, but somehow I didn't think so, he had never been like this before, even when poppa had died. Yes he got upset but he was never so violent towards me.
I shrugged and stopped thinking about it. The box, Mum’s box, My brain threw that at me constantly. I would start thinking about what was in the box mum had given me and why she hadn’t given it to me earlier.
I felt my phone start to vibrate in my pocket, I quickly grabbed it out, Ben was written on the caller I.D.
“Hello?” I said trying to sound strong only thinking of what had happened at the hospital with him standing next to me.
“Hey, Peggy?” He said sounding happy to get through.
“Hi Ben, how have you been?” I asked him.
“Yeah good, I was wondering if maybe we could get a coffee, or just get together.” He said to me sounding hopeful.
“Yeah we could. I'm actually out shopping so I can start dinner. Let me give Jack a call and I’ll see if you can come over for tea, then we could maybe go for a walk and talk after?” He seemed fine with this idea so soon I had the scary task of asking Jack.

“You want him to come over for dinner?” He asked almost sounding shocked that I would ask such a thing
“Well, yeah we haven’t talked in a long time him and me, and I was hoping to catch up with him again.” I said hope sounding loudly in my voice. There was silence on the other end of the phone for a while, before he spoke.
“Well you’re cooking so I guess he can come over.” And with that Jack said goodbye and hung up.
I had bubbles in my stomach as I rang Ben back to tell him the good news. When I finished I rushed down to the supermarket to pick up the makings for Mums carbonara pasta.

I walked slowly home listening to the soft sound of the crunching concrete beneath my feet. I walked past the park and stopped a minute, there was mothers pushing children on swings, chasing them jokingly around the playground and others telling the children off for misbehaving. I loathed all of them immediately; I felt the anger and jealousy build up inside me. The hot tears burning down my face like the sun burns on a hot day. I wiped them away and continued to watch the children, laugh, sulk and play on this equipment. I had to leave, I couldn't stay and watch. I felt my stomach clench as I walked away, I wanted to turn around and join one of those families and pretend for just a little while, just an hour that one of those mothers was mine too. That my mother was alive, that she was still here to love me. I ran, I couldn't walk calmly anymore I had to get home, I needed to feel the hot steam of the boiling water on my face. I ran as fast and as hard as I could home I finally got through the front door and slammed it shut behind me.
“Are you okay?” Jack asked coming out of the bedroom.
“I walked past the park on the way home.” Was all I managed, he seemed confused for a few seconds then as he finally realised what I must have seen his face turned to one of sympathy.
“Oh dear.” He said I just nodded and got on with dinner, he sensed that I was distracting myself and walked back into his bedroom, I heard him talking, to whom I didn't care. I plugged my head phones in and lost myself into the music, for now I did have a mother.

I didn't hear the knock on the door or jack calling out for me to get the door, but I did almost hit the roof when Ben placed his hands on my waist. I pulled my headphones out and twirled around with the ladle in my hand ready to smack whoever it was in the head. I laughed when I saw the look on his face, then I felt the tears well up again. He just looked at me.
“What happened beautiful one?” he said holding my hand. I couldn't say what I wanted to so I just shook my head and held my breath in hope that I wouldn’t fully break down.
As I started to dish up, my chest loosened and my eyes dried so I started to explain about the park, halfway through my explanation he placed his hand on mine and nodded.
“You don't have to explain it all to me, I know what you’re saying. Just relax and enjoy dinner okay.” He smiled at me as I nodded at him. “Good girl.”

“Wow, Peggy, this is really good love.” Jack said as he took his third bite. I slowly swirled mine around in my bowl pretending to eat it but really just scraping it to the outside. Ben was scarfing it down just as fast as Jack.
“It is Pegs.” He said laughing at my expression.
“Hey  we are men we are allowed to enjoy our dinner.” Jack said smiling with his mouthful, my stomach lurched.
“I second that Ben said, but seeing my face he didn't open his mouth. They ate in silence and at the end when they weren’t looking I took my full plate with their empty ones over to the sink.
“We got any desert darl?” Jack asked me, I quickly ducked into the freezer to have a look. The cool air wisped around me making my breathe come out in thick white fog.
I took out the vanilla ice cream and the icing sugar from the cupboard.

(obviously havent finished... i will try and add as i can.)
© Copyright 2010 Chickee-Dee (vasalisssa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693108-The-choice