*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693168-Bloody-Wall
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1693168
The worst way to treat the king
Word Count 495     



The Wall of Blood



         As you rounded the bend going East from the old temple.  You would catch sight of the red stained gray wall.  Legend has it that at one time it was  magnificent to look upon.  Now you want to race by as fast as you can.  Just before ten Christmases past, horror broke out in the manor that still stands behind that wall. 

         As the story goes.  The lady of the house every year would hold the grandest ball of the year.  Though the lord there was getting tired of it all.  Not was it the grandest, but everyone in the area was invited.  From the lowliest peasant, all the was to the King himself if he was in the region.  Of course the lord of the manor couldn't stand those that were of lower standing than him.

         As was her custom, the ball started at five sharp.  As soon as the lord thought that most of the peasants were present.  He ordered the guards to take all the peasants to the wall, hang them by their feet and cut their legs so they slowly bled to death.  Then he ordered them to take hold of the lady and have her drawn and quartered.

         As word spread of what was happening that night.  The governor sent a message to the king, asking for his help.  The king being one fond of all that is of lowly stature.  Came as one looking like a peasant.  Upon trying to enter the ball, the lord of the manor grabbed him, and was about to have him hung along the wall also.

         The king being one with a very distinct voice yelled, "How dare thee lie thy hands upon me?  Are you the one whom ordered the slayings along your wall?"

         "My...my lord.  I didn't know it was thee.  No, I didn't know of any slayings there."

         "Foul liar.  I have spoken to the captain of the guard, and he has told me of thy treachery."

         "My lord, he lies."

         "Where thoust is thy lady of the mano?"

         "She is about..."

         "Yes, I have seen her hung on the four corners of the wall.  Captain, take this foul creature to the uppermost battlement and do to him as he has ordered to the others.  But, hang him by one leg and cut just that leg and leave the knife there but out of reach.  So he can see a way out of his torment, but can't end it."

         All through the the night you could hear him wail for someone to slay him outright and begging the king for forgiveness and mercy. 

         To this day, no one has set foot beyond the wall.  To this day every year you hear the wailing of those who died on the wall, then the wailing of the lord of the manor and the laughter of the slain.  His body still hangs there.  Not even the crows and flies want anything to do of him.
© Copyright 2010 WildBillHickup (wildbill0013 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693168-Bloody-Wall