*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693433-Murder-in-the-Mountains
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Horror/Scary · #1693433
Some friends go to the mountains for a weekend, they're unaware of whats beyond the trees.
Chapter 1



"Hey Carter," Katie called, as she climbed out of her blue explorer.



"Hey Kate," Carter replied, getting up from the porch steps. Katie walked over and sat on the tailgate of Carter's black pick-up. "Have you talked to Elle today?"



"No, why?" Katie asked, "I had a missed call from her, but I haven't called her back yet, whats up?"



"Well Tyler got a brochure left on his truck outside work the other day offering a free weekend in the mountains, he thought it was crap and tossed it. Elle found it and decided to call the number and just see. As it turns out, it was for real, so we're all going to the mountains."



"When?"



"In the morning," Carter said, enthusiastically, "you have to come with us, that's why Elle was calling."



"Who all is going?"



"Everybody, Tyler and Elle, of course, and Zoey and Peyton, Jay, Kyle and me."



"What about Emmett?" Katie asked, blushing.



"I think so, I was about to ride over and talk to him about it anyway, wanna come with?" She looked at him like he was stupid, "OK yeah dumb question, come on."



"You know me way too well," she said laughing as they got in Carter's pick-up.



*****************************************

"Hey guys," Emmett called from the garage as Carter and Katie walked in.



"Not much, man," Carter replied.



Katie remained silent, playing with her cell phone, pretending to be texting someone. She had a major crush on Emmett and found it very hard to say anything that made sense in his presence.



"So, Emmett, are you going on this camping trip with us?" Carter asked.



"I was thinking about it."



About that time Carter's cell started beeping. He opened it up and read the text. "That's Jay, he needs a ride over to Kyle's. Hey Kate do you wanna chill here while I run get him and take him to Kyle's ? I won't be long."



"Sure, that's cool" she said, her stomach filling with butterflies at the thought of being alone with her crush.



"Is that cool with you, Emmett?" Carter asked.



"Yeah that's fine, Kate can ride with me to the store, if she wants."



"Sure." Katie responded.



"OK then cool, I'll be back in like an hour or something," Carter told them as he got back in his truck. He waved as he pulled out of the drive and was gone.



"So Katie," Emmett said, "are you going on this camping trip my sister is orchastrating?"



"Yeah, I guess so."



"OK then count me in."



"Really?"



"Sure," he told her, "well you ready to go to the store? I'm gonna need several cases of beer if we intend to camp all weekend."



Katie laughed. "Yeah let's go." They walked out of the garage and got in Emmett's white suburban that was parked in the driveway.



"I wasn't gonna go on this trip originally," Emmett told Katie, as he backed the SUV down the drive and out onto the deserted road.



"Why not?"



"Well I didn't think you were going. Elle told me she couldn't get ahold of you so I figured you had other plans."



"Oh," she stammered, "I didn't have any plans, so I'm definately going."



"I'm glad, " he said, glancing at her.



"Really?" she asked meeting his eyes.



"Yeah really." He reached across the console and grabbed her hand. Katie's stomach did a flip as thier fingers intertwined. It was everything she'd been dreaming about.



They pulled up in front of the gas station about twenty minutes later.



"I'll just run in a grab a couple cases, be right back, do you want anything?"



"Uh yeah, just whatever you're getting." She reached in her pocket for some money when he stopped her.



"I got it, babe, don't worry about it." He smiled at her, then shut the door and went inside. She smiled to herself as she watched him walk away.

*****************************************



"I really hope this trip doesn't suck," Katie mumbled to herself as she pulled into her friend Rebecca's drive way. She was about to honk the horn when Rebecca came out the door.



"Hey Kate," she said, sliding into the front seat, "I can't believe you talked me into coming on this trip."



"It'll be fun, I hope." Katie replied as she backed the car down the drive. "Jay is coming."



"So," Rebecca said.



"I thought you liked him."



"I did, but I dont think I do anymore."



The phone is the console started ringing suddenly. "That'll be Tyler," Katie said picking up the phone, "Hey Ty, whats up...ok...yeah...see ya in a few...bye."



"Whats up?" Rebecca asked.



"That was Tyler letting me know that everybody's meeting at Kyle's."



"Are you sure they don't care that I'm coming?"



"It's totally fine, I talked to Elle and Zoey about it last night."



"OK."



"Trust me, it'll be fun. So anyways I'm about to burst, I have to tell you what happened yesterday afternoon."



"Spill."



"I think Emmett likes me. He held my hand in the car, bought my alcohol for the weekend and kissed my cheek before I left his house. He also said that he was only going on this trip cause I am."



"OMG...thats great." Rebecca said, "I'm so happy for you. It's about freaking time." They both laughed.
© Copyright 2010 Melody Shiloh (jamieanne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693433-Murder-in-the-Mountains