*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693479-Rain
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1693479
A short description of an evening I had involving rain, a car and a state trooper.
It started with Dakota, one of our Great Danes, barking in the night.  I had stayed up until 4 o’clock, finishing up a novel.  The security light that was shining through my window didn’t register in my sleep deaden mind.  I shushed the dogs, and then heard the grandfather clock toll.  I looked at the alarm clock and saw that it was about 5’oclock.  I heard the clock strike again.
My heart was pounding as I realized it was the doorbell.  The dogs must have sensed my fear, and went crazy, barking and howling.  We crossed the short hall to the front door.  I figured only an idiot would be willing to stick around with this canine alarm.  But there was a man… I could see his badge through the window.  My heart stopped and then returned to a crazy staccato beat.  A million things ran through my mind as I corralled the dogs back into the master bedroom.  Greg was surely safe out in NM with the boys.  Mary was guarded in a back bedroom by the other Great Dane.  My folks?  My Mother-in-law?
The state trooper was standing with rain streaming over the brim of his hat.  He was not happy.  He asked if everything was all right with me?? Then he explained that the BMW assistance had called the station because my Z4 was showing distress, and there was no response from the vehicle.  I spoke in a whisper, “My windows are open?”  “Well Ma’am, the top is down too.” I dropped my head against the door jam, said “thanks” and then busted toward the car.
It was awful. I dropped into a puddle in the seat, literally making a splash.  As I raised the top, it showered me -- the water from the rug squished over my bare toes.  Water dripped from inside the steering wheel.  Water continued to drip from the top onto my lap.  A voice came over the internal speaker.  “This BMW assistance, can we help you?”  And the rain poured down.
© Copyright 2010 Ree Larson (laree66 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693479-Rain