*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694072-This-haze
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Other · #1694072
A man with his throat cut, struggles to live.
My head hurts like hell. My chest moves up and down trying to keep the rhythm of my heart at a living pace. There is pain in my throat, blood in my whispers. My sight dazes in and out of focus. My sense of smell is heightened. I can smell everything. I can hear echoes of retreating footsteps around me in the growing darkness. My hand is growing to a glowing ghost white. A small puddle forms, a dark shade of red. The hues in the room change and morph, colors mesh, they melt, and they form puddles in my vision. I can smell how fresh my blood is, how strong it smells, sitting and gathering in the cracks on the floor below. The smell is strong, and it stings my nose. My sight is gone, and my head fazes in and out of reality, my breath is gone. No air reaches my lungs. Consciousness leaves me for moments, and I drift into what seems like a sleep. It’s dark, and the world around me grows quiet. This is what it feels like… drifting off… sleep… peace… dark… alone…pulse…stops…flat line beeps ring through my skull…



Wait…



There is a pulse of adrenaline running like lightning through my body, I keep a hand on my spilling throat, another fumbles for some kind of grasp in the lake I’ve created. There is a stumble and a slip, a gathering of footing, a crashing down to the ground like a new born. I’ve forgotten everything.



There is no family, no friends, no past no future. My life doesn’t flash. I am caught in the moment, stumbling after my assailant. The room moves in circles, and my balance drains from me like liquid out my neck. The wall I use to support me seems real. This haze moves me slowly down the hall. This haze moves me to…



Wait…



There is a light ahead. So bright, it knocks back the blindness… knocks back with an echo. I answer with a tilt and whirl collision to the ground. I answer with one last puff of air. My lungs deflate. My heart deflates. And I blink. I fumble with the thoughts in my head. I fumble and fall. I rise and fall…I… fall…

© Copyright 2010 Earl P. Jackson (3.14land at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694072-This-haze