*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694559-The-Kings-of-Old
by Lacoda
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1694559
This is the prologue to a book I am working on
Prologue: The Kings of Old

It began with two brothers. With a dream of life and reality of destruction. They stood before each other, with determined minds and poisoned hearts. Together they created the earth, used their differences to bring it to life; now they stood in argument over its future with one final question. Light or Darkness?
At first everything had run smoothly, being so different from each other the brothers had created a balance in life. The world had thrived, the people lived, all had been well. Then slowly, ever so slowly the balance tipped. Little at first, as the people grew more independent and relied less on the brothers for help. Aegis was easily able to calm Osiris’ quick temper; but as more and more time passed Osiris’ temper flared, until finally his patience disappeared.
Darkness decended on the land, plummiting the earth into total night. Frightened and confused the people turned to their last hope, Aegis. They now stood before each other, as the world held its breath. Two opposite halves of a whole, light and dark.
“Brother, you cannot submit the world to utter darkness. The only way for life to thrive is to have a balance of the two, if you tip the balance then our fragile creation will crumble,” said Aegis.
“ No, these people have known light, they fear nothing. Even now they cast us off, they feel as if they do not need us. They need to know who is in charge, who their creators are. They need to know fear, or we will no longer be in control,” replied Osiris angrily.
“People should not be forced to fear something that should be seen as a comfort, they should not have to fear the dark. It should be a comfort, not a threat. Osiris cast an icy glare at his brother, eyes filled with hatred; Aegis calmly returned the gaze, making sure his composure was flawlessly blank.
“ Can you not see it!? Has your arogance caused you to become blind to the truth? These people no longer respect us, they have forgotten us,” spat Osiris.
“ No brother,” replied Aegis eyes flashing from the accusation, “they may have forgotten us now; but when hard times arise they will once again turn to us for help. My children are safe, that is all that matters.
“Ha, safe from what? Surely they aren’t safe from each other. Humanity is corrupted with desire, if not know, soon,” smirked Osiris hautily.
“Not all of humanity is as corrupt as you are dear brother. Not all seek the empty desire of power and fear,” replied Aegis eyes filled with remorse. Osiris’ eyes flashed dangerously at his brother’s words. Teeth bared he lunged at him, but suddenly collided with a invisible force. A slow smile spread across Aegis’ aged face as he stood over his dazed brother.
“You surely didn’t believe that I wouldn’t protect myself just because we are brothers, did you?” Aegis taunted, eyes dancing with amusement over his brother’s misfortune. Osiris’ face filled with rage as he tried to lash out at his brother but found he was unable to move, “so you want total rule is that it? A world where everyone fears you and darkness is forever. Well brother, I shall grant you, your wish. You shall have such a world. But you will rule without power, you are to create your own empty power.”
Slowly from the inside of his white robe Aegis pulled out a small clear orb. Holding it up to his brother’s temple he chuckled as Osiris’ eyes filled with terror, “it would appear, dear brother,” whispered Aegis, “that even you cannot escape fear of some sort. Do you rely so much on your magic for power that you fear losing it?” As the orb came into contact with the Osiris’ temple it began to change color. Osiris fought wildly as the orb drained his magic from him.
When Aegis removed the orb Osiris collapsed on the ground breathlessly, glaring up at his brother with pure hatred burning deep in his cold gray eyes.
“This will fail,” Osiris spat, as his lip curled into a sneer, “I see what you plan, you could never hide your plans from me, dear brother.” Osiris emphasized the last few words lacing them with sarcasim and hate. Laughing Aegis returned the smile as he matched Osiris’ tone.
“But of course this will fail,” replied Aegis fingering the orb in his aged hands, “in the time of greatest darkness there shines the brightest light, the greatest hero. This must fail, it must end. So that it may begin anew. Now, your world calls you. This is a farewell, and you can take your shadows with you.” As he spoke shadows began to swarm around Osiris, thicker and thicker with each passing second; until it seemed as though a cloud of smoke hid him from view. From their the Drakness and Annwn had been formed, forged from petty desires and empty power. As suddenly as they came the shadows and Osiris disappeared, leaving behind the warming sunlight.
Sighing Aegis once again held out the orb, gazing at its swirling vortex, lost in thought. Taking a deep breath he placed it to his own temple and watched as his own magic mixed with that of his brothers; swirling in a complex dance of power. When the magic had drained from Aegis he called each nation to him. Looking at each king in turn Aegis held the orb out in his upturned palm.
“My dear children, this is the last you will see of your creators. Osiris has been consumed by his desire to rule, and I now see that I am no longer needed here on earth,” Aegis said sadly, “please, no arguments,” he continued before any could object, “ before I leave, I would like to bestow one final gift to you all, one that is to be shared in your prosperity.”
The kings exchanged curious glances among themselves as Aegis continued, “this is Harlequin, it contains all the power my brother and I had. All the power you need to maintain peace, prosperity and traquility is here. I leave it here, among all you to decide how you will use it.” And with that Aegis departed.

*~*~*
As the orb was brought into the world, Aegis and Osiris passed into history, and finally legend. The story of the orb was passed down from generation to generation, each nation telling it’s own tale. For many years the orb was peacefully shared as each nation developed and grew; but soon, just as Osiris perdicted things began to go wrong.
The people began to grow greedy; finding that power was far more pleasing then peace. Fights began to break out among the nations as to who needed the orb the most. Each nation wanted to be the most powerful, no one wanted to be at the short end of the stick.
War was now on the verge of the horizon, each were waiting for their chance to see the others falter. The circled like vultures, waiting for someone to slip just a little. Hate and greed boiled in their hearts, pitting father against son, and brother against brother.
The orb was then placed in the temple of the Kings of Old until peace could be restored. Not long after, war broke out; raging for years among the world, each seeking its prize. Until one fateful day all nations gathered to make one final attempt, to kill or be killed. Poisoned with desire, hate and greed.
As the sun sank on that bloody day, something happened that no one expected. The orb shattered. A wind swept through the battlefield as fighting ceased. The orb, the magic was shattered. As the sun sank, clouds rolled in and a fierce wind picked up across the battlefield, the magic was moving. Sweeping among the people the magic was absorbed by each nation. The Nymphs, creatures devoted to the nature of all elements were given the control over fire, earth, water and air. The Dvergar, creatures of the rocky mountains, gained control of all minerals. The many nations of Dragons, all creatures you yearned to protect gained fierce hearts, and fearless minds making protection possible. The Pegasus, creatures of timeless beauty, gained immortality. The Elders, creatures of great understand, gained the understanding of light and dark. The Jotun, giant creatures of utmost strength, gained the strength beyond all recognition.
As each nation gained the power that fitted them most, the magic continued to rage. Some of the power contained by each brother fit no nation at all, mysterious and unique. These few powers, unexplained, dispersed to few individuals of certain nations. As time passed these few gifts would soon pass into legend as the gifts of mystery, bestowing few with their unique power.
As the magic faded, silence fell once again upon the battlefield. As the wind died, and the clouds cleared to reveal the last lingering light of day, a whipser was heard across the battlefield, carried on the last of the wind.
“So it begins.”


“When you desire something so greatly,
wanting so badly to believe it,
words become twisted,
and your mind becomes poisoned with empty desire.”

--Proverb of old--
© Copyright 2010 Lacoda (lacoda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694559-The-Kings-of-Old