*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696002-The-Last-Months---Chapter-2
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Teen · #1696002
In the hospital, Marcus learns he's dying. He makes a decision that changes lives forever.
Marcus slowly opened his eyes. He looked around and noticed he was in a hospital room.

He also realized his mother was sitting at the other end of the room sleeping in a chair.

He shook his head and thought, ‘What the fuck happened? I remember feeling funny and the last thing I saw before blacking out was that fucking annoying paramedic.’

He was brought out of his thoughts when a doctor came into the room. As the door slammed shut, Marcus’ mom woke up.

She rushed to her son’s side and gave him a hug. Marcus hugged her back and the doctor cleared his throat.

They broke the embrace and the doctor stood in front of them. He had a somber look on his face and Marcus knew right away something was very wrong.

The doctor finally spoke in a soft tone, “Son, you’ve been out for quite a while.”

Marcus looked at him curiously while he continued, “During that time, we managed to do some tests on you to figure out what caused you to black out like that.”

He closed his eyes and Marcus responded, “Come on, Doc. Quit stalling and give to me straight. What’s wrong with me?”

The doctor took a deep breath and gave his answer, “Son, I’m afraid you have stage 4 pancreatic carcinoma…” he looked at Marcus’ mother and back at him and bowed his head, “…I’m sorry. We could give you chemo and radiation, but it would pretty much be pointless at this rate.”

Marcus’ mom began to sob as Marcus looked at the doc and asked, “What the fuck are you saying, Doc? Are you saying I’m gonna die?”

The doctor looked at him and said, “I’m afraid so. The best we can do for you is provide you with pain pills to ease the pain, other than that, I’m afraid there’s just nothing more we can do.”

The doctor headed for the door. Just as he opened it, he said, “I’ll get you some painkillers. Since you will be in pain, you can come back anytime for a refill. I’m sorry.”

With that, the doc walked out and the door closed behind him.

-

Later that afternoon, Marcus was cleared to go home. His mother drove since his truck was still at the school.

The ride had been a quiet one and this was only the beginning.

They stopped at the school briefly so Marcus could get his truck and he followed his mom home.

Mel had been waiting for them and was happy to see his friend drive up.

Mel approached Marcus and gave him a crushing hug and Marcus said, “I appreciate your concern, but could you please get the fuck off me?!”

Mel let him go and they went inside so Marcus could explain things to him in his room.
-
Mel couldn’t believe his ears at what he just heard and his eyes began to tear up, “Are you sure, man? There’s nothing they can do?”

He noticed the pill bottle Marcus rolled around in his hand and he nodded, “I’m sure. Three or four months and it’s curtains for me.”

Mel jumped up and yelled at him, “HOW THE FUCK COULD YOU BE SO FUCKING CALM ABOUT THIS?! YOU’RE FUCKING DYING YOU ASSHOLE!”

Marcus slowly nodded and motioned for Mel to have a seat, and took it without saying another word.

Marcus then began to explain things, “I know that, Mel. I should be scared, I should be pissing my fucking pants right now, but I’m not scared. Who knows, maybe this is a blessing in disguise, a chance for me to change things.”

Mel was lost, “What the fuck are you talking about, man?”

Marcus looked at him and explained further, “Mel, all throughout junior high and high school, I’ve done nothing to be remembered for. The only way to do that is to impact people’s lives, connect with others. I know I was quite a wreck before, but now I think it’s time for a change.”

Mel looked at Marcus like he was crazy, “Have you lost your fucking mind?! How do you plan to do that?!”

Marcus smiled, “By changing the lives of everyone in our Senior class! We start tomorrow.”

Mel held his hands up and shook them frantically, “Wait a minute! What’s this ‘we’ shit? I’m not doing it, most of the people in our class aren’t worth it anyway. “

Marcus shook his head, “And others would say the same about you, now you’re even. So, like I said, we start tomorrow. We have a few months to do this. You don’t have to join me if you don’t want to, but you can’t talk me out of this one. It’s my last chance to make a difference or I will die trying.”

With that, Marcus’ journey began.

-

Marcus awoke the next morning with a horrible pain in his gut.

He was lucky he kept his pills near his bed. He grabbed the bottle and stumbled out of bed toward the bathroom.

He nearly trampled Mel, who stayed the night, and slammed the bathroom door shut.
Mel walked slowly to the door and heard water running.

He knocked to see if Marcus was alright. The response he got was a simple, “I’m okay.”

Mel didn’t think anymore of it and decided he better get home and get ready for school. He let Marcus know he was leaving and left.

Marcus had already got in the shower after taking a pill for his pain.

He bowed his head and let the water run down his body as he thought about today. It was going to be a great day.

-

He arrived at school an hour later. He knew he was late and he knew he was late and what was going to happen when he sees Mr. Wade in the halls.

He walked to his locker where Mr. Wade was waiting. He had a look of anger as well as concern on his face. Mr. Wade spoke as Marcus arrived at his locker, “So, are you okay, Baines?”

Marcus looked at him quizzically and nodded. That’s when Mr. Wade gave him a scowl and said, “Good! That’s two detentions you owe me now!”

Marcus went wide-eyed and asked, “What for?” Mr. Wade shook his head and replied, “You’re late again and you missed all of yesterday. I bet you don’t even have your homework.”

Marcus was about to reply sarcastically, but instead thought for a minute and gave Mr. Wade a warm smile and he closed his eyes and said, “You’re right, Mr. Wade. I have been quite a nuisance to you haven’t I?”

Mr. Wade gave a puzzling stare at Marcus and nodded. He had not seen Marcus act this way since the beginning of Junior High.

Marcus continued, “I promise I will try to do better. I don’t expect you to take my word for it, but I will try to do better. I hope I can make you proud of me again, sir.”

Mr. Wade was confused at hearing those words from Marcus Baines, the one kid whom he couldn’t stand.

He nodded anyway and as Marcus began walking he turned to Mr. Wade and said, “I’ll see you in detention, sir. I promise.”

He walked to class, leaving Mr. Wade stunned beyond belief. Marcus smirked and muttered to himself, “That’s a start.”

© Copyright 2010 justmikeg22 (justmikeg22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696002-The-Last-Months---Chapter-2