*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696438-Bridge-to-Heaven
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Experience · #1696438
Written after a vivid and powerful dream.
I stand with my eyes closed, the breeze misting my face and blowing my hair back from my forehead and shoulders.  The thin cotton fabric of my nightdress breathes in the damp air and clings to my body as the ruffled hem tugs and dances around my legs.  My toes sink into the wet sand. 

I breathe.

The air is electric with life and the roar of crashing waves thunders as it hits the shore.  Foam and spray swirl around my feet before quickly returning from whence it came, leaving its salty sting in my eyes and my lungs. The sea calls to me.
I open my eyes and seek out the moon.  The glowing orb fills the night sky with blinding radiance; her silvery glow lays upon the water like glittering gems. The water undulates and heaves like a great beast gasping for breath.  I am enchanted.
Stretched as far as my eyes can see, something cuts the surface of the waves like a snake.  Water runs over and through, but it does not surrender.  Closer it comes until it touches the sand.  Here it anchors and falls to rest only a step away from where I stand.  I behold a bridge of sodden planks.  Far ahead it reaches over the water, beckoning me to see where it leads.

I take the first step.

The world has vanished, I am alone.  Only the ocean can I see and this bridge stretching out into oblivion, the abyss beneath my feet. The breeze becomes wind and the mists become rain.  Great mountains of water rise and fall around me, the sea rushes in around my ankles in a worshiping caress. 

I am mesmerized.

Colossal Gods rise from the depths.  Thrash and swarm, they gather.  Writhing black shadows come from far and wide; each shape distinct and different.  The largest of the great creatures comes to me, breaking the surface.  Ebony skin glistens in the moonlight and I reach out.  My hand rests on the cool flesh as the massive form towers over me and stretches out in front and behind. 

I am insignificant.

The shadows become still.  Great Gods of terror, killers from the deepest reaches of the abyss, bowed before me in reverence.  My guardians.  The sea heaves in exultation as if delivering me to the moon.  With a sigh, the beast heaves its final breath and settles to a gentle sway. With outstretched arms, I embrace the moon, the Gods beneath my feet. 

I am at peace.
© Copyright 2010 Seraphemme (seraphemme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696438-Bridge-to-Heaven