*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696464-The-Interview
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Other · #1696464
This is an ongoing story I have been writing on my blog, I wanted to post it here as well.
Just sitting in the car wasn’t going to get the job done. Stephanie knew this, she knew if she didn’t have the guts to get out of the damn car and walk into the shiny windowed building she would never forgive herself.

If she smoked she’d be puffing away right now, she thought silently to herself. She pressed her hot face to the cool pane of the car window. She glanced up at the high rise and sighed. She sat up straight, lifted her chin and shoved open the car door. Only to smack the meter pole, with a loud clang. A dark man yapping on a cell phone glared daggers at her. She could imagine the conversation on the phone.

“Oh, really, Buffy,” her imagined name for his trophy wife on the phone “It was a horrible little red haired girl crashing into a non-offending meter pole!”

“Biff, please stay away from her!” The imagined wife would intone. He looked like a Biff. Biff and Buffy. She silently snickered at her own sense of humor. Well, at least she amused herself. She straightened her knee length navy skirt, tugged on her white blouse and marched purposely towards the front door of the building. She pushed open the surprisingly heavy door.

“Welcome to Thongs and Accessories International, how may I assist you?” a chirpy little blond said from behind the mirrored receptionist's desk.

“Hi! I’m Stephanie Ramy, I have an appointment with the design department.” She put on a fake smile when inside her stomach was knotting. She couldn’t believe she had an appointment with the T&A design team.

The perky receptionist raised one eyebrow. Stephanie knew the girl wasn't fooled by fake smiles but she couldn't come up with anything better when all she wanted to do was reach over and retch into the potted plant beside the desk.

“Please, have a seat, I’ll call your name when he is ready for you.” Stephanie nodded and made her way over to the small seating area that already had several other people sitting around holding their portfolios and wiping sweat from their brows. This was no mom and pop company, this job interview could be the big break all of them had been hoping for sense they had decided to become designers. Most of the other applicants where probably sporting fancy design school degrees. Stephanie on the other hand had never even graduated high school. She had to drop out to help her mother raise her two brothers after their dad died in a boating accident. It was a choice Stephanie had made and would not have changed but she sometimes she could tell that people looked at her differently just for not having that peace of paper stating she read through War & Peace, struggled to climb a rope in gym glass and attended pep rallies. In her opinion life experience should be what counts.

She started designing clothes as a hobby while she watched the boys and in between shifts at her fast food restaurant job. Pretty soon some of the other workers would pay for a few of the designs she made, she realized quickly that the sexier the outfit the more people were willing to pay. And when a co-worker offered her $300 to design and create a honeymoon package that included 5 sets of underwear, a sexy dress, and a bathing suit, she quickly discovered that her talents lay in the lingerie department. The girl LOVED her work and still calls her often for a quickie underwear design.

Stephanie’s head snapped up suddenly. Did the receptionist say “he”? She was under the impression she would be meeting a team of people who designed and not just one person. The door the interview room opened suddenly and a small man stormed out yelling in his wake “You have not seen the last of Enrique Gerard Treme!” The man had a very thick accent, and when the door was suddenly pushed shut, Enrique looked at all of them sitting in the waiting area and said “You will not get this job, NO one will get this job, they are crazy for the things that they want!” And with that parting shot, he stomped out the door.

Stephanie sat back and watched the other interviewees fidget. They all looked like they were facing death row, but with a small gleam of excitement lighting their eyes ans their hands clutched their portfolios. Stephanie looked down at her small portfolio case and winced. It was ragged, torn down the side, had a splotch of bright pink paint from a recent project, but what did you expect for $3 at the local thrift store?

Stephanie smoothed her navy skirt over her knees and watched anxiously as one after the other of her competition's names were called.She could feel her heart pounding when her name was called, she slowly rose to her feet and walked slowly towards the tall, slim blond woman with the severely pulled back hair. She was wearing a tan pantsuit with a beautiful pink button down top underneath. The woman's makeup was flawless and her skin glowed with a tab.

Stephanie instantly felt intimidated. She couldn't compete with these people. She was a high school dropout with a Goodwill portfolio bag. She felt like she was going to hyperventilate. She looked at the blond from the corner of her eye and saw the lady's lip twitch as if she were trying to hold back a smile. They walked up to a large mahogany door and the woman pushed it open and slipped inside, Stephanie followed suit. Stephanie gasped as she looked around her. The room was ornately masculine. The walls were painted a deep red wine, with dark mahogany trim and matching built in book cases filled with books, there were red silk chairs facing a matching couch in the corner an right in front of the door was a thick dark desk piled with papers and a laptop. Behind that desk boring holes into her was a man with eyes so dark they were almost obsidian. She swallowed and lowered her eyes. Probably not a good move during an interview, but Stephanie couldn't hold that stare.

The man stood, ran his fingers through dark brown hair, he narrowed his eyes and looked Stephanie up and down pausing briefly on her portfolio case, she pulled it in front of her and clutched the handle with both hands protectively. It may be shabby but it served it's purpose. Without saying a word the blond handed him her file and sashayed out of the door.

"Please, miss, have a seat." His rich baritone showed no sign of an accent that she could discern. She sat in a very uncomfortable wing back chair situated in front of his desk. She smiled hesitantly and held out her hand.

"Hi, my name is Steph-" The man interrupted her opening speech.

"Just sit down." He sat in his own chair, his comfortable looking chair, and leaned back studying her. "You don't look the part of a lingerie designer." Why, the egotistical jerk! Stephanie frowned and tilted her head.

"Funny," she said, "Neither do you." She was used to looks like the one he was giving her. Stephanie wasn't a tiny girl by any means, but she wasn't huge either. She was a normal woman. And normal women want to look hot, too! Not everyone was a non-existent size. His eyebrows rose at her comment. She noticed the name tag on his desk finally. Jared Sutherland. "Mr. Sutherland, I am a very talented designer, I'm not here so you can make snap judgments because I don't look like one your models, I'm here because I can offer something of value to your company. I may not have the shiny degrees that most of your applicants have, but I have been constructing and designing women's attire for years. Now if you want to see my portfolio and sketches I will be more than happy to let you take a look, if however you think this is a waste of your time, I can leave." Stephanie crossed her arms in front of her chest, her portfolio leaning against her legs. "The, choice, sir, is yours."

"You're hired." Stephanie's mouth dropped open in shock at those words. The man hadn't even examined her portfolio, she wondered if he even knew her name. Sure he had her resume right in front of him but he hadn't taken one glance at it the entire time she had been in the room.


"Excuse me, sir?" She was finding it hard to believe that the man would hire her without seeing what she could do, it was strange that he would even throw that out there, she was going to have to tread carefully with him.

"I said 'You are hired', Ms. Ramy." He raised his eyebrows "Unless you are turning us down..." He trailed off at the end of his sentence.

"Mr. Sutherland, wouldn't you first like to see my portfolio, perhaps interview me?"

"No, I already know you can sew, that very tailored suit you are wearing is not off the rack and it is made of very fine fabric probably purchased here in NY, also you seem to have a very firm grip on what you want. You didn't cower when I pushed you, and that is hard to find in this industry. I trust that you will be able to begin your duties tomorrow?" He began writing on a tablet in front of him, not looking at her anymore, Stephanie breathed in shakily, unable to believe this was happening. Finally, her big break. She reached into her Portfolio and pulled out a sketch pad. She stood up and laid the pad in front of him on his desk.

"Yes, I will be here tomorrow, just point me towards the Human Resources department so I can fill out the paperwork. In front of you is the project I've been working on for about six months now. It's a line of lingerie for woman sized 12 and up. Your company creates beautiful things for very specific clientele. I would love to see that expanded upon and created for women who are normal sized. I would love to call it All4You and start the line out in basic black then expand to include other colors. Women who aren't size 2 or even size 10 find it hard to find beautiful lingerie that doesn't make them look or feel like a circus act. I believe this line will open more doors for your company and also show them that no matter what size you are, beautiful is definitely in."

Jared looked at the pad in front of him, opened it to the first page and slowly smiled. On the page was a full sized woman wearing a peak-a-boo black lace nightie trimmed in red velvet. It also had a matching pair of high waisted underwear that had boning in it to taper out her waist and push up her breasts. It was an awesome look, complete with red velvet gloves.

"Yes...I see you have been a diligent worker, and bold, too, to show me this before you start working. Most new hires wait at least 2 years before bringing fourth their own designs. But this...I like this. I will keep this, you bring me a sample next week. Welcome to the team, Ms. Ramy." He stood up, shook her hand and handed her the piece of paper he had written for her. It was a note to someone named Hildy. "Give that to the receptionist out front, she will get you to our HR department.

Stephanie shook his hand and turned to leave. But stopped. she turned her head and said "Thank you, Mr. Sutherland, you won't be disappointed in me or my line."

"No, Ms. Ramy, I doubt I will." He tilted his head to her and flipped her pad to the next page. He tilted his head as he studied the second sketch in front of him.

Stephanie quickly left shutting the door behind her, it took everything in her power not to begin jumping up and down. The severe blond from earlier looked up from her desk. "Ahh, I knew he would like you!" She exclaimed with a smile, standing and walking toward Stephanie.

Stephanie smiled hesitantly. The blond held out her hand, Stephanie took her hand in a firm shake.

"I'm Marianne Franklin, it's great to meet you! You will love it here." When the Marianne smiled her face lit up making her look less severe and more soft. Stephanie could do nothing but smile back.

"Stephanie Ramy, pleasure to meet you. I'm looking forward to my time here at T&A." Marianne giggled at that.

"I've always found the name tawdry. It always makes me giggle, you'd think being an adult I would have outgrown the silliness years ago." She smiled and led Stephanie down the long, white hall to the HR Department. She pushed open a glass door and motioned for Stephanie to follow her.

Stephanie gasped when she looked at the tall blond man behind the desk. The man didn't look up but when he heard Marianne's voice he called out "Hi, honey, did he finally choose someone?" Stephanie froze, of all the people in all the places in the entire world, HE would have to be here?

Marianne gave her an odd look and said, "This is my fiancee, Keith. Keith, this is our new hire, Stephanie Ramy." At the mention of her name her ex-boyfriend looked up and their eyes clashed.
"Stephanie..." Keith began, but she held up a hand as if to ward him off.

"No, Keith, not here." Marianne stiffened beside her and glared at Keith.

"You know each other?"

"Yes," Stephanie said shakily. And they did know each other. They knew more about each other then their own families knew. They dated for four years all through her two years of high school, and while she was working at fast food joints to cover the bills.

Keith swallowed hard, stood up and stared at her helplessly. The cold hearted bastard, he would deserve it if she told Marianne exactly what she knew him.

She should make him wiggle like a worm on a hook.

Stephanie swallowed down the bubble of hysterical laughter. She pasted on a fake smile and turned towards Marianne "Yes, we went to high school together. Keith and I shared a few of the same classes." Out of the corner of her eye she saw Keith fidgeting. She hoped he was suffering for what he did to her.

Marianne looked at her with her eyes narrowed, inspecting her like a bug on a microscope. Stephanie kept her sugary sweet smile in place and then turned back to Keith. "Yes, I'm to start tomorrow. There is some paper work I will need to sign." He looked pale, like he was fixing to become violently ill.

"Okay," Marianne said slowly, hesitantly. "I definitely want to hear more about Keith's high school days, you'll have to fill me in Stephanie." She turned and walked, a trail of some expensive perfume wafting behind her. Keith was silent until the door shut solidly behind her.

"Stephanie, I'm so sorry-" Keith began but Stephanie had already cut him off.

"Just shut up, Keith, from this moment on we don't know each other. We were never together, I never got pregnant, you never abandoned me. So just keep quiet and this will die down." Stephanie sat down in the teal blue chair in front of him. She just needed him to remain silent so he wouldn't jeopardize her new position here at T&A.

Five years ago she had been working fast food jobs, designing in her spare time when he unthinkable happened, Stephanie became pregnant. By that time Keith had been in his second year at university and started to keep their relationship quiet. There were no more invitations to have dinner with his family, their dates had become less frequently and if they did go out it was to a late movie. She could tell he was embarrassed by her. Who wouldn't be embarrassed dating a girl who smelled like fast food grease and usually ketchup splattered on some part of her clothing. When she took the test and it was a positive she kept it to herself until she could get into the clinic to see a doctor, once she had that confirmation she dreaded telling him.

On her day off, which was alternate Tuesdays she made arrangements to meet him at a local park for a picnic. She packed her picnic basket carefully, making sure all his favorites had been included. Fried chicken, potato salad, biscuits, and her apple pie made with her grandmother's recipe. She had folded a quilt and had the entire thing siting by the door when he came in unexpectantly. He took one look at the basket and blanched.

"Stephanie, we need to talk." He told her with all seriousness. His mouth was a straight line, he didn't look her in the eye. He was avoiding looking at her at all, instead staring at the wall behind her like she didn't exist. She knew he was trying to break up with her but she also knew he needed to know about the baby.

"Keith, before you continue I have something I have to tell, you see I'm--" Keith cut her off mid sentence.

"Stephanie, we can't be together anymore, I've met someone else and she's smart, and beautiful. She goes to college and is studying to go into the medical field." She could still feel the pain of that long ago day he threw all that in her face. The humiliation as she stared down at her hands, where burn marks from the grease she handled daily scared her skin, her nails were broken and jagged. She rubbed her arms.

"Keith, we really need to talk about this, I have something to tell you-" Again he cut her off like she wasn't speaking.

"I mean it, Stephanie, try not to make a scene, it's over between us." He turned to open the door to walk out, knocking her basket over, her food scattering on the floor. She looked forlornly at the pie splattered all over the carpet.

"I'm pregnant, Keith."

Keith froze for a moment, not moving. He finally jerked the door open, turned around and literally yelled at her "Get rid of it!" before slamming the door behind himself.

And until this exact moment she hadn't set eyes upon him. All the pain and old wounds were reopened just looking at him squirming behind the desk. She wanted to throw everything at him, what she'd been through, what he missed, their daughter. But she wouldn't. She wasn't here for revenge, she was here for the opportunity to fulfill her dream.

She could see traces of her daughter in him. The eyes, a deep blue that almost looked purple. The way his lower lip puckered when he was trying not to look guilty. Inside she moaned with grief. Sadie was gone and there wasn't a way she could bring her daughter back. Her nerves were raw, she needed to get this reunion over with so she could go home and lay waste to a pint of ice cream.

Keith started gathering papers, his hands shaking. Finally he stopped. Took a deep breath and looked up at her. "I know I hurt you, Stephanie. I never heard from you after that day." She knew he wanted to know what happened to the baby. He didn't deserve to know. He walked out, he left her by herself to pick up the pieces of her life he had shattered.

"It was long ago, Keith. Just let it go. You made your wishes clear, the decisions I made are my own and have nothing to do with you. I need to fill out that paper work so I can get going." She stared into his eyes, Sadie's eyes. He broke contact and handed a stack of papers over to her. She began filling them out, rushing through them, trying to get everything filled in so that she could get the hell out of here.

She stood as she handed the completed papers over to him. "Keep to your side of the building, Keith. I definitely would prefer not running into you here again." She turned and walked out. She could feel his eyes drilling into the back of her, she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of turning back at looking at him.

Stephanie made it all the way back to her car before she finally broke down. She sat in the driver's seat and wept. Wept for the girl she had been, the opportunity that had been given to her, and her sweet Sadie. Sadie's smile, her little hand that clutched at hers whenever they went somewhere. The child had smelled like cookies and happiness. And then the moment she was told that Sadie was gone. That a drunk driver had jumped the curb and smashed into playground at her pre-school. The moment she had to claim her 4 year old daughter's body.

Hot tears streaked down her face. Three months ago she buried her daughter.

--------------------------

This is it so far, I'm working on the next section.
© Copyright 2010 Cassandra (cassandrad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696464-The-Interview