*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696969-Niveria-chapter-1--2
Rated: · Novella · Fantasy · #1696969
Lilithuana fights for her and her sister's future by entering a fighting competition.
Chapter One


“Come-on, keep up with me!”
Lilithuana stood with her wooden sword drawn in her right hand and her wooden shield in the left. Her light brown eyes gleamed with determination, a feeling that was usually attributed to her during a fight, which not even her long dark hair could hide. She stood with calmness, eagerly awaiting the next move. Her opponent, however, was kneeling on the ground on one leg, using her own wooden sword as a crutch to keep herself from falling over. She panted heavily with her head bent over; beads of sweat were running down her face.
“Lafiel, we do not have all day,” Lilithuana said. “The day of the Grand Examination draws near. I need to practice as hard as I can until then.”
“You’re right, Lily, sorry,” Lafiel whimpered as she managed to struggle to her feet.
Once upright, she wiped the sweat off of her brow. It was a breezy day, and a strong gust blew through the barn where they stood, picking up leaves and hay strewn about and blew Lafiel’s hair violently. As the wind died down, her long blonde hair now covered her green eyes so she pulled it behind her ears.
“All right, now, I want you to charge at me,” Lilithuana said. “Attack me with all of your might! Hold nothing back!”
“Okay Lily, here I come!” yelled Lafiel as she charged towards Lilithuana.
As she drew near, she grabbed the hilt of her sword with both hands, raised it above her left shoulder, and brought it down as fiercely as she could. Lilithuana easily parried the attack with her sword and followed it up by thrusting her shield forward to knock Lafiel off balance.
“You won’t be able to get me with that move again!” Lafiel said, quickly regaining her footing and, still using both hands, employed a horizontal attack from left to right. Lilithuana jumped back to avoid the blow, then stepped back in and retaliated with an overhead attack of her own. Lafiel retorted by placing her sword in an upright position and placed the palm of her left hand behind it, her intentions being to block Lilithuana’s attack. The two wooden swords clashed, Lafiel’s knees buckled a bit but were able to remain upright. They both encircled each other, all the while leaving their swords locked in the same position.
“I see you’ve improved a bit,” Lilithuana said. “I suppose it’s about time that I get serious.”
Lilithuana dropped her wooden shield and pushed Lafiel back with an open palm. Lafiel hardly had any time to recover, for Lilithuana charged at her with a thrust attack. Lafiel instinctively swayed her sword and managed to block the attack, however, Lilithuana followed it up with a swift kick to the back of her legs, which sent her crashing to the floor. She then raised her sword and stabbed at the ground, forcing Lafiel to roll out of the way. She repeated this attack and kept Lafiel rolling until she ran up against one of the barn walls. Lilithuana moved in for the finishing blow and Lafiel—desperate and cornered—lashed out by kicking her on her ankle as she approached. Lilithuana was caught off guard by this move and Lafiel used the opportunity to spring back to her feet. She created some distance between them.
“Interesting,” Lilithuana said. “This is certainly unexpected. I suppose all of that training is finally paying off, somewhat.”
“After a while, you just get tired of losing, I know I certainly have,” replied Lafiel, who looked more like a warrior at that moment than she ever had been. “I can feel it. Today is the day that I finally prevail over you and become the best swordswoman in the village of Cannas, maybe even in all of Niveria! Come now, draw your sword. Let’s end this!”
Lilithuana closed her eyes and gave a curt smile. “I have never heard you speak like this. It is certainly refreshing to hear you speak with such resolve. However, do you not think that you are misinterpreting your position in this battle? You have only managed to land one blow to my ankle, yet you are now declaring ultimate victory. Do you think that to be wise?”
“Even the mightiest of trees can be made to bow to the strength of the wind. Besides, this time I’ve lasted more than mere moments against you. It must mean something. Maybe the goddess Katheena is smiling upon me today.”
Lilithuana frowned. “I applaud your effort and am glad at your improve-ment, nevertheless, you should not delude yourself. The outcome of this fight is quite clear and since you requested that it come to an end, I shall oblige!”
Lilithuana opened her eyes, a malicious intent beamed from them, making Lafiel cringe. She then raised her right leg and bent it slightly so that she was standing on one foot and, as she did so, proceeded to hop on the left leg.
“What are you doing?” a bewildered Lafiel asked.
“One word of advice, don’t take your eyes off of me!”
Lilithuana began hopping faster and faster, a movement surpassed only by the beat of Lafiel’s heart. A cold chill went up Lafiel’s spine, a combination of both anxiety and fear, forcing her to abandon attacking and instead to strike up the best defensive position she could.
Can I win, she thought. The confidence she formerly had was now gone. She began to replay in her mind her former battles, all resulting in easy victories for Lilithuana. However, this time was different; at least that was what she wanted to believe.
Lafiel noticed a leaf blowing gently in the wind outside, swaying from side to side, as it slowly made its descent to the ground. Even at that moment, the seemingly insignificant leaf had captivated her. She remembered a time not too long ago when she and her sister would play on windy days like this, something that seemed now to be all but a fantasy. The leaf was mere inches away from the ground and Lafiel continued to watch it intently, completely consuming all of her attention.
“NOW!” Lilithuana yelled, as she stopped hopping and charged towards Lafiel in a manner like she had never seen before, snapping her back into reality. She had not a moment to react when Lilithuana swung her sword and smashed Lafiel’s weapon to bits, her weapon stopping about an inch from her face. Lafiel, the entire time, had not moved an inch, and even after it was over, was frozen stiff. The leaf that she watched so keenly had yet to even touch the ground by the time the attack had ended.
“W-What was … what was … what just happened?” Lafiel was finally able to say.
“It’s a special attack that I developed,” Lilithuana answered, lowering her sword.
“When? How?”
“I’ve been working on it for quite some time now. Though, I suppose it isn’t right for me to say I developed it. It’s more of an incomplete copy of an attack that I once witnessed.”
“You witnessed it? When did that happen? Whose attack was it? How were you able to perform such a maneuver? When did you—”
“All right, all right, I’ll answer all of your questions in a moment. We’ll end training for today. Clean up and I will tell you all about it outside, okay.”


Chapter Two


Lilithuana, with her wooden sword in hand, practiced her sword strokes, despite the fact that she earlier concluded her training session for the day. Lafiel had run off, claiming that there was something important that she had to do and promised to be back shortly, leaving Lilithuana to her own devices. On and on she practiced—stepping forward, employing an overhead strike, and stepping back—an endless motion that resembled the never ending crash of waves on the shore before retreating into the sea. When training, it was as if Lilithuana was in her own little world, almost nothing seemed to bother her. Her entire mind and body were focused on her actions, nothing else mattered. With each strike, she aimed to improve over the last, with each step she intended to be quicker than the one before it. The longer she remained in this state, the harder it was to snap her out of it. The wind had picked up once more and another strong gust blew by her. She was breathing heavily at this point and took in deep breaths, causing her to inhale dust that was carried in the gust. She winced and then coughed for a brief moment. Her concentration now gone, she decided to suspend her training for the time being.
Lilithuana’s thoughts now shifted to Lafiel. She wondered where she went to and also what she was doing. Suddenly, she felt the warm embrace of the sun and looked upwards. It was a beautiful day. The clouds sailed along the sky, free as birds, seemingly without a care in the world, a feeling she had not experienced in quite some time. The sky possessed a shade of blue that she had never seen before, or at the very least, never noticed. The sun shone with such a brilliant exuberance that she felt compelled to bear witness to its glory. A gentler gust blew by her, lightly blowing her hair with it. At that moment, Lilithuana experienced a relative calmness about her. All of her worries and struggles, her trials and tribulations, seemed to dissipate as she stood there, basking in the sunlight. At that moment, she felt envious of the clouds whose burden free existence appealed to her more and more. To never worry, to never struggle, to never work harder and harder each day to survive, she gained a comfort for that brief moment that such a life was possible. Lilithuana was once again caught up in her own little world, this time, however, it was a place that was the opposite of the one she was in before.
“Lily, Lily, I’m back!” shouted Lafiel, as she ran down the road with a small sac in hand. Lilithuana turned around to see her open the gate and run past the barn to meet her.
“Lafiel, where have you been?” Lilithuana asked. “You have been gone longer than expected.”
“I had to get something special for you.”
“Something special for me? What for, may I ask?”
“Sister, don’t you realize what today is? It’s your birthday. You’re sixteen years old now.”
Lilithuana scratched her head. “I suppose it is my birthday.”
“You didn’t remember your own birthday? You’re strange. You’re only two years older than I am yet you act a lot older than that.”
“Ha, ha, I guess you are right. Forgetting your own birthday is a bit silly. I’ve just been so busy lately.” Lilithuana then turned her attention to the sac. “So, what is in there, by the way?”
“I have cheesy buns, your favorite,” Lafiel said proudly as she pulled one from the sac. “Aunty Lorenta made them for you.”
“She did? I shall have to thank her.”
“Thank later, eat now,” Lafiel said, as she grabbed Lilithuana’s hand and dragged her along.
“All right, all right, I’ll come with you now. I’ll show my appreciation to her another time.”
The pair went over to a dinas tree near the barn, the only one still able to bear fruit. The dinas fruit was round and about the size of one’s fist; it adorned a darkish purple color when ripe. The fruit was a favorite of the natives of the continent. The dinas tree was tall and wide, its long branches and large leaves provided excellent shade on sunny days. Lilithuana even made stools for them to sit on under that tree. She acquired her skill for carpentry from her father, one of the last gifts he gave to her.
“This is nice, we should eat cheesy buns and relax like this more often,” Lafiel said.
“Money is scarce, and we simply cannot afford to buy it,” Lilithuana said. “Lorenta was generous in making some for us today but we certainly cannot expect it on a regular basis, nor would I want to. Accepting charity irks me. You also have to consider that this farm, or what is left of it, is not going to take care of itself, especially since there’s only the two of us to mind it. That, plus training, leaves little time for—”
“Okay, okay, I get your point. You don’t have to answer everything so seriously, you know,” Lafiel said with an annoyed expression on her face. “You should learn to relax some more. It’s your birthday. Try focusing on that and not all of those other things.”
“I shall definitely try.”
“Before we eat, let’s pray to the goddess Katheena, to thank her for the food we are about to receive and to ask for blessings on your special day.” Lafiel closed her eyes and clasped her hands—fingers laced—and began to pray. Lilithuana looked on, uninterested in Lafiel’s actions. “O, Katheena, goddess of creation, I beseech you. I, your lowly vassal, would like to give thanks to you, O goddess, for the treat we are about to receive. With your blessings, I hope that we will be as happy and prosperous as we are now for years to come. May your aura continue to light the sky above for all of time.” Lafiel bowed for a moment, then stood upright, opened her eyes and unclasped her hands. She turned to look at Lilithuana, who was now sitting on one of the stools with her arms folded.
“You are finished now, right?” Lilithuana asked.
“You really should show more respect to the gods, you know,” responded Lafiel with a sigh. “It is with their blessings that we are alive and well today. I worry that your soul will be condemned to eternal damnation for your attitude towards them.”
“I could care less about that. One’s life is defined by their actions and is only as affluent as it is made out to be. Praying to gods achieves nothing more than to waste time better spent on important things.”
“You should refrain from making such remarks,” Lafiel said with a dis-turbed and worried look on her face. “The gods can hear you.”
“So what if they can, I am certain nothing will come of it. In fact, I dare them to take action!”
Lafiel covered her mouth with her hands, shocked. “Have you lost your mind? You cannot keep saying these things. If mother and father were to hear you say that, then—”
“They cannot hear me say that; they cannot hear me say anything now, can they.” It was as if a dark cloud had settled over Lilithuana, her disposition becoming increasingly more indignant in a manner that Lafiel had witnessed before. “They believed … we believed in the gods as much as anyone else, maybe even more. Back then, this farm was prosperous. We were by no means wealthy but we always had food on the table, we always had a smile on our faces, we always had each other. They told us that the gods were responsible for our wellbeing, and that we had to pay homage to them. We prayed every day, every single day. Here, on the continent of Desuzay, the goddess Katheena is praised above all else since she supposedly appears here every two hundred years. I truly believed that the goddess Katheena was watching over me, keeping me happy, sparing me from harm. I even felt that I was special, that she looked upon me in a way that she did not for anyone else. When I look back at it, I cannot think of a logical reason for why I thought so. I suppose that is just how religion is. It all seems like a dream now, like a fantasy concocted in the deepest pit within the realm of my imagination and I was snapped back into reality on that day, four years ago.”
Lafiel lowered her head sadly, for she knew exactly what her sister was referring to.
“It was four years ago that our parents were killed by that hideous man,” Lilithuana continued. “Right after that, the soil of this farm became infertile and the land that once had several dinas trees now only has one. We are barely able to support ourselves as it is. The gods did nothing for our parents, this farm or for us. We can only rely on ourselves, that’s why I’m training so hard.”
Silence befell the two as they sat and ate, a quiet only broken by the rustling of the tree’s leaves as the wind blew. Lafiel looked up and examined the dinas fruit hanging above, one in particular was rather plump and darkish purple in color, something to look forward to later. Boredom soon overtook all of her thoughts. This type of serenity best suited Lilithuana, the very thing that Lafiel could not stand. She searched for something to discuss.
“You’ve yet to tell me what that attack was, the one you used earlier to end the fight,” Lafiel said.
Lilithuana had just taken a bite out of her bun and chewed whilst turning to face Lafiel.
“Lily, did you not hear me? I said I wanted to know about your special attack. Why don’t you answer me? Lily!”
Lilithuana promptly swallowed what she was chewing. “It is improper to speak with your mouth open.”
“Says who?”
“The entire world.”
“Well, it’s ruder not to respond when spoken to.”
“You are quite energetic, sister. It is too bad the rest of your body cannot emulate the stamina of your mouth.”
“Now who’s being rude!”
Lilithuana let out a deep breath. “Anyway, I believe that you requested knowledge of that last attack from this morning.”
“Yes, finally. Tell me everything about it.”
“Do you recall the events of two years ago, when soldiers from the Kingdom of Desuzay arrived in this village?”
“Yes, they were pursuing an outlaw who they believed took refuge in the area.”
“They pursued a man named Malkim Regarde, an ex-knight who was on the run after killing a nobleman. The Royal Guard was dispatched here since they believed he was in the area but could not find him. They then left our village to continue the search.”
“Everyone knows that but what does it have to do with your attack?”
“Be patient, I’m getting to that. One night, whilst returning home from training in the forest, I ran into him, literally. Since I had my wooden sword with me, I tried to apprehend him, myself. My attempt at capture did not go so well.”
“You what? Didn’t you know how dangerous that was? He was a knight, after all! You could have gotten yourself killed!”
“I know, which is why I never told you. I was fortunate that not all of the Royal Guard left the village. One of them was still around—our fight drew his attention. Sir Janus was his name. He faced Malkim singlehandedly, it was an exciting fight. To finish it, Sir Janus used the very maneuver that I used on you. It was incredible. He moved so quickly, I could barely see him. It was like he disappeared and reappeared behind him, Malkim then fell to the ground, dead. I never even saw him get slashed!”
“Wow, that’s amazing, Lily!”
“I know. Sir Janus even commended me on holding out against Malkim for as long as I did. He said I might have potential. He was the one who told me about Her Majesty’s School for Advanced Battle Technicians; it is where young prospects receive training to become members of the Royal Guard. I’ve been training harder since then and have been trying to copy that attack I saw.”
“Trying to? It looks like you did a great job, to me.”
Lilithuana shook her head. “No, his was much faster. And it only took him one hop to attain that great speed, it takes quite a while for me to build up mine. There’s still room for improvement.”
“Regardless, with that attack, you’re bound to succeed at the Grand Examination.”
“The Grand Examination.” Lilithuana looked around the farm and saw a familiar scene; dead trees, a barn with no animals and an old house in dire need of repairs. If her father was around, the farm would never have been in such a state but there was nothing that could be done about it. “It was Sir Janus who sent me a letter, telling me that the Grand Examination would be next held in our village. This is my chance, our chance. If I can impress them enough, I’ll be accepted into Her Majesty’s School for Advanced Battle Technicians and then the two of us can leave this village. We can finally have a better life, one we deserve.”
Lafiel smiled but did so for her sister’s sake. She had reservations about her intentions to become a member of the Royal Guard. Their duty was as demanding as it was dangerous and as any sister would, she was concerned for her safety. Without even knowing it, her concern became evident on her face.
“Is something bothering you, Lafiel?” Lilithuana asked.
“No, nothing at all,” Lafiel said, forcing another smile.
“You’re not being honest, I can tell. I would like to know what is bothering you.”
Lafiel sighed. She knew that there was no getting away from it now, Lilithuana could read her like a book.
“Sister, you know I love and support you. I spare with you, even though I have no liking for it. But I fear for your safety. Isn’t there another way for us to better ourselves?”
Lilithuana approached Lafiel and laid her hands on her shoulders. “Dearest Lafiel, I understand how you feel, but this is our only option. As women, the only ways to gain any stature in this world are to either marry someone influential or with the sword. I have no intention of allowing any man to dictate my life so I have chosen the sword. I know it is dangerous but do not fret, I believe that I am skilled enough to do what I must. I shall be fighting for you, as well.”
Lafiel smiled again, this time she meant it. She still had her doubts but knew that Lilithuana was doing it for their benefit. She hugged her sister. However, the conversation they were having was too serious for her, she wanted to turn things around.
“You said Sir Janus told you about the Grand Examination,” Lafiel said.
“That’s right, he did,” Lilithuana said.
“He tells you lots of things, doesn’t he? Maybe the next thing he’ll tell you will be your wedding date.”
“What was that?”
“Nothing.”
Lafiel ran off. Lilithuana followed right after her, their laughter bringing a much needed joy to the old farm that is too often absent.

© Copyright 2010 Bradley Descartes (zerosystem at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696969-Niveria-chapter-1--2