*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697541-The-human-truth-ch-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Ghost · #1697541
She puts criminals in jail, now she can read their minds. Can she find out how?
    When she finally woke up, she was in a small planked shack with no windows, she moved to sit up and realized that there was blood running down her face, she felt for the source and found it. There was a gash above her eyebrow that extended into her hair line. She knew that she had to go to the hospital to get checked out. She looked around and saw nothing that seemed familiar. She got curious and tried to walk to the door, except, something was wrong. This was not her body.

    She was in the body of a young boy, maybe ten or eleven. The boys legs finally moved to walk toward the door, but she knew that she had no control of the limbs she possessed. She watched the door come closer and closer. She knew there was no other way to get out of this dream other than to let it run it's course. The boy stumbled towards the door and fell a yard away. Though she could do nothing physically to help the mythical boy, but she was rooting for him on the inside. The boy struggled to stand and was almost to the door when it slammed open. Suddenly she was jerked out of the boys body and saw the room from a different point. She was now standing in the corner of the room, a bystander.

    A large man walked in and grabbed the boy by the scalp, pulling him back to the cot that he had crawled off of. She saw through the door that outside of the shack, the land was well manicured and very well cared for. She turned back to the boy in time to see the man slam a fist into his small stomach and cause the boy to lie on the floor retching his soul out. The boy looked up and looked as if he were looking directly at her, and said,"Please Erica, help me."

    Erica woke up with a cold chill running down her spine, that had never happened before, the victims in her dreams never said her name. They always died in the end, yet the boy was still alive at the end of her dream. She sat up in bed, contemplating what she was going to do that day. It was one of her few and far between days off. She had promised her mother that she would visit while she had time off this month, she had been putting it off for the last few months. She really should go see her mom, she missed her on most days, on other, more sane days, she wondered what she was thinking.

    The main reason she had been putting off going to see her mother was that she really did not want to meet the most recent man that would be a perfect husband for her if she only gave him a chance. Her mom said he was in real estate, and though she had been looking into buying a new home to fix up, she really did not want to put up with the man's bumbling attempts at flirting.

    She and her mother had had a good relationship with eachother until Erica had turned thirty, an age that her mother considered the perfect time for Erica to procreate and produce a grandchild or two for her. That had caused a considerable strain on their relationship. She much prefered to spend time with her step-father in the garage, building cabinets that would go to a charity and help the less fortunate. Her step-father was the kindest and most easy going man she had ever met. She had been fifteen when her mother and step-father had met and married. She had considered him a real father, rather than a relation by marriage. He had walked her down the isle the one and only time she got married. He was the most genuine person she had ever met.

    She went and made herself a breakfast of a toaster strudel and a glass of milk. She turned on her laptop while the strudel toasted, she wanted to check her e-mails before she took off for the day. She got on her yahoo mail and scrolled down her inbox, looking for anything important. She saw an e-mail sent to her by her work, she knew that she had to open it, just to see if she could skip this one. She opened the e-mail and read the report. The case seemed like a normal case for her line of work, but then she got to the picture portion of the report. Her heart stopped, her breath caught in her throat, as she looked at the picture of the boy from her dreams. She looked at the time on the e-mail to see what time it was sent. She looked and did not believe, the e-mail was sent at the exact time of her dream, was it a coincidence? 

    She picked up the telephone and called her boss, Christine,"I just read my new case, who sent this one in?"

    "Well, this case has been in the pile for months and the parents had all but given up on finding their son, when they get a phone call from our offices saying that we had taken on their case. The call was made from your office at eight last night. I thought that you were taking time off to see your parents this weekend."

    "I'm going to my parents today and working the case while I'm there. My mom has found another guy that would be perfect for me, this will be the perfect excuse for me to avoid him while I'm there."

    "Only you would use a missing boy as an excuse to avoid a guy, I think that that is exploiting the kid."

    "I don't think that the kid would mind, especially if by doing so I find him and his kidnapper."

    "Ok, you have a point, but I don't understand why you would want to avoid the guy, you haven't even met him."

    "I don't have to meet him to know what kind of man my mother would pick. The last guy that she tried to set me up with was a optomitrist, all he talked about was his job. Do you know how boring that was, very."

    "Ok, I'm not going to argue there, but try to have a little fun this weekend. I'll talk to you on Monday."

    "I will, I'm going to make a point of going to the beach."

© Copyright 2010 Kaitlyn Robbs (klrhode2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697541-The-human-truth-ch-1