*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697584-Sarah
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1697584
Set in fantasy, told from my desperate despair to make things right.
I stood at the edge of the smoke covered battlefield as I took my last slow drag of my cigarette. I flicked the butt as a siege engine launched another ball of flaming pitch towards the castle. The ball of fire raced through the low clouds of smoke only to reappear again streaming into the walls of the battered fort.

         The black clouds started to drizzle rain as I looked over the now almost deserted battlefield. Small fires and scattered bodies dotted the landscape as an occasional dog or scavenger bird scurried this way or that picking through the remains of the dead. I lifted up my collar and pulled down my hat as I started across the desolation to the castle.

         It was hard to believe that this used to be a beautiful place. Not so long ago the grass here was lush and green. This had been the best land for small game hunting and the woods surrounding the main field here had deer, squirrels, and plenty of other wild life to enjoy. But tonight as I walk though the land my hart feels like a led ball in my chest. To think that it has all been reduced to this crushes any hope I had for the future. But still I must try.

          I stood looking at the battered door pivoting on one loose hinge as another ball of fire slammed into the fortress inside the ruins of the wall. No one was in sight as I made my way though the doorway that led into the courtyard, but the sounds of sobbing and far off in the distance mad laughter sent a chill down my spine. The main entrance to the castle was in flames and several carts had been left in the path leading to the doors, but I knew a better way in anyhow so I made my way around to the side of this once great castle.

         The door was inset into a dark alcove and swung open with a slight push. A pan crashed to the floor as I walked into the dark receiving room that led to the kitchen. Besides the kitchen entry two other doors had access to this room. The one to the right led to the hallway that I needed.

         I found a lantern on a shelf close to the door and picked it up. It had a lightweight metal base and handle with a glass chamber at the top to reflect the light out away from the holder of the lamp. I bought the lantern up and blew into the wick sending a spark of magic to catch the oil alight.  I paused to look around the room lamenting at the memories that this place held for me, then I headed for the hallway that would take me to the last place I wanted to go just then.

         As I reached the top of the stairs I could see her room had been left open and a light was on inside. I took a deep breath and walked ahead into her apartment.

         There she sat at the table before the mirror combing her hair. She was 16 but she looked older as she sat looking at her reflection.  Her eyes had a far away stare to them and she seemed oblivious to the smoke and sounds of the dying battle outside her window. I stepped into the room looking for the box I left there only weeks before. “Are you okay”?

         She didn’t respond. I hadn’t thought she would. I found the box lying on a table next to her bed and I went to pick it up. I could tell before I opened it that the key was still inside but I had to check anyhow just to make sure. There it was. I breathed a sigh of relief and still felt the dread of knowing of what I must do with it.

         Sarah had stopped combing her hair and was looking right at me. I walked up to her and knelt down taking her hands in mine. “Sarah we have to go now” was all I could say. Her head lowered and her eyes went to the floor as a tear fell from her cheek.

         She was still wearing the ring on her finger that I gave her on my last day here. I pulled it off as a ball of fire slammed into the wall just outside her window sending sparks and smoke everywhere. Sarah began to cry as I pulled the ring with my fingers making it grow larger and larger as I worked its magic. Soon it had become as large as a hoop and I set in down on the floor before us. I held Sarah by the shoulders “Sarah, you need to trust me now.” She looked up into my eyes and nodded.

         As the curtains caught fire we stepped into the ring on the floor and transported away.

End chapter 1


Chapter 2 coming soon

I don’t know exactly where this is going yet so any comments would be welcome.
© Copyright 2010 Smokescreen (smokescreen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697584-Sarah