*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697910-War-Tears-Apart-Love-Brings-Together
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #1697910
A quick short story about soulmates being reunited after war seperated them.
She waited nervously in the airport lobby, craning her neck over all the other wives and girlfriends for a glimpse of him.


He had been gone for seven months and each day, she missed him even more than the last.


The ring around her finger was a solid, tangible promise that he had to make it home safe.


Nervously biting her cheek, she played with her jacket zipper.

He's gotta be here soon, I just saw Alex come off the plane.


"Taylor, Matt just got caught up talking to the pilot, he'll be out in a second," Alex said as he and his wife Laurie walked by, holding hands tightly. She smiled thankfully but couldn't risk opening her mouth in case she burst into excited tears.


She closed my eyes for a second and leaned against the wall, breathing deeply to calm herself.


What she couldn't understand is why she was nervous! She and Matt had been together for four years and engaged for eight months.


A smile graced her face as she thought about how he proposed. In the middle of Central Park while they were visiting her family in New York, it was a bright summers day. He took her hand suddenly, slid a ring on her finger and whispered 'will you marry me?' directly into her ear.


She was so shocked she just kissed him, unable to speak. But he took it as a yes!


Ever since then, wedding plans have gone by smoothly. Except for the fact that everynight he was gone, she laid in bed, staring at the spot in her bed where he usually would be.


Her heart ached when he wasn't with her and felt like something crucial was missing.


"You waiting for someone?" said a familiar voice. She slowly opened her eyes to see her fiance standing in front of her, grinning hugely.


She couldn't hold back the squeal and lunged at him.
He dropped his bag, lifted her off the ground and spun her around, planting kisses all over her face as he did so.


They both smiled like lovestruck teenagers and she felt happy tears well up in her eyes.


"I've missed you," she said simply. He let out a breath and she felt it against her cheek. He gently pressed his lips to hers and held her tighter against him.


"I've missed you more," he replied and kissed her deeply.


Suddenly, the past eight months seemed worth it to him. He might have been away from his love, but he fought for his country and now appreciated her even more. He might not have made it. He could've died, as his good friend Nico did. But he was lucky and he made it. And now he was going to marry the most amazing girl in the world.

Maybe miracles do exist, they both thought as they walked to the car, hand in hand, smiling like crazy.
© Copyright 2010 NighttimeThoughts (dontgivein at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697910-War-Tears-Apart-Love-Brings-Together