*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698332-Burnt
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1698332
This was the prologue of an unfinished vampire story
It’s been 4 years since the ‘accident’ as they would call it. They told me I was insane, delirious… but I know what I saw, a monster killed my parents. I didn’t give in to their illogical lies, and I wasn’t about to.

I still remember the blood running cold from her fingertips. Agony tearing through every part of her limp body, fear and pain twisted throughout her facial features, as I stood there, helpless, useless, gaping with horror. I tried to let out a shriek, but the sound would not escape my lips. I felt as if my tongue had been caged like a prisoner in my throat. Unable to speak, I grabbed the candle that was still lying on the floor beside me- wryly burning, and made an attempt to inflict pain on this monster that was slowly taking away my parents lives.

He flashed me an ominous glance, and watched the candlestick coming towards him. He quickly avoided the hit by pushing me away with prodigious strength. Then, he locked his murderous, crimson eyes on mine and within seconds, he flung himself into the air, like a wingless bat, and landed a few feet before me, nearly snapping my legs.
His landing crushed the clean tiles into tiny fragments and then he let out a cagey growl that shook right through me. He dropped my mother and my tearful eyes fell on her beautiful, porcelain face. I watched the blood trickling from her quivering jaw. He continued to drain more blood from her reclined neck, tearing fragments of bone between his blades of teeth.
My father flung his arms out, as if to grab hold of some invisible object, but the breath he took was his last, His hands fell and he hung inert from the shattered staircase, with his bloody fingernails scratched out from trying to climb his way from the vicious monster.

Me and my sister, Emily, were the only ones left in the house that hadn’t been ripped to shreds and left to slowly die. It was clear enough now, we could both see that she would be his next victim, standing vulnerably by the bedroom door, which was now splattered with blood. I’d lost everything in this tragic hell-hole, and I wasn’t about to let him destroy my sister too. Dripping with blood, he quickly used his arm to clean his thirsty lips, and let it drop in less than a second. Maliciously, he tilted his head to one side and showed his razor-sharp diamonds for teeth, letting his upper lip hinder for an instant longer, and for a moment he looked like he was smiling.

Hopelessly, I jumped in front of Emily, and with a great agonizing pain, he thrust me to the floor, feeble, just as my mother had been. My hands, cut from the wound, coiled around my stomach. I let them free and the creature turned to me, his eyes growing brighter than before. He looked different somehow, like he wasn’t hungry anymore, he looked almost disgusted. He saw my distraught face, like before, except this time he didn’t lock his gaze. He just knelt there, my sister trembling in his steady arms, his dark, tousled hair falling halfway over his shadowed face, He seemed almost… human. He dropped her like a doll, and left.
© Copyright 2010 Laura Ross (lauraross290 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698332-Burnt