*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698385-Into-the-Woods
by Mekom
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1698385
Two girls are lost on a hike in the woods.
My Daily Flash Fiction Entry

Word count: 298

“John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, his name is my …”

“I swear, Whitney, if I have to hear that song one more time, I am going to strangle you.  And no jury in the world would convict me,” Renata exclaimed exasperatedly.

“C’mon, Renata,” Whitney urged.  “Think of this as a wilderness adventure!  How often do we get a chance to wander in the woods at night, listening to the crickets chirping, and the leaves rustling in the breeze?”

“More like, how often are we lost in the woods at night?” Renata muttered.

“Well, I wish you would stop complaining.  It is not like I was the one who left the car unlocked.  Otherwise, we would still be with the rest of our hiking group,” snapped Whitney.

“We would have been able to catch up to them, if you had followed the path.  I mean, how difficult is it to follow the arrows on the signs…No, no, ‘I know a shortcut,’ you said.  And how many hours ago was that?” Renata snarled.

“I already apologized several times.  And it is not like I can change the past, so get over it,” growled Whitney.

Suddenly the path in front of the girls began to flicker in-and-out of their vision.

“Oh, please don’t tell me that the flashlight has run out of…” Renata pleaded.

“The flashlight has run out of batteries,” interrupted Whitney.

“Well, doesn’t that make today complete?” Renata asked sarcastically.

“I guess we will just have to guide ourselves by the light of the silvery moon,” Whitney reasoned.

“That better not be leading into a song, Whitney,” Renata threatened.

“Oh, I think I see light up ahead,” exclaimed Whitney.  “It’s a campfire! And there’s everybody.”

“Thank God!  We’re saved!” Renata shouted.  “Now let us never speak of this day again.”
© Copyright 2010 Mekom (megausachan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698385-Into-the-Woods