*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698693-For-the-Childeren-prologue
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1698693
An old work of mine back when I went by white-shinobi on DA
The tale begins in a small city on the outskirts of Albania where changes come rapidly due to civil wars in the east. Isolde Ayres owned a small clinic in Levan, a district in the 5th administrative county Fier, where she struggled incessantly to find shelter for all the refugees.

As the conflict in the neighboring countries escalated more and more refugees found their way to her, most of them children without parents, and with her limited resources Isolde could only do so much. With so much responsibility forced upon her Isolde began to fall into a deep depression, and even though she hid it well, soon the children began to realize how tormented she was.

As time passed by the effects of Isolde's mental state began to appear in a physical sense. "She has grown so thin" the local mothers would whisper as she passed by "It's those refugees who are to blame!" The children under her care began to feel remorse as they watched their benefactor waste away "We need to fix this" they agreed as they began to formulate a plan.

Within a month the children had formed a flawless plan and decided to implement it immediately; the sound of footsteps echoed off the cobblestone as Demetrius ran up to the clinic door. He sat for awhile and gathered his courage before he flung open the door.

"Mrs. Isolde! Mrs. Isolde! Did you hear?" Isolde lifted her head from her book as Demetrius tugged on her labcoat. "Was I supposed to be informed about something?" she quipped glancing at her calendar just in case "There is an urban legend back in my country! Do you want to hear about it?" Isolde was thrown aghast by the boy's sudden talkativeness.

"What bought this on?" She knew the boy well and was sure that he had an ulterior motive. "I….just….wanted…to…cheer…you…up" Demitrius mumbled softly as tears welled in his eyes "You…*sniff*…have…to…*sniff*…believe me.

"Very well then enlighten me about this legend" Isolde felt a bit of remorse as she watched the 10 year old bawl his eyes out. Demetrius sprung to life immediately and began to explain "Every night on what you would call Christmas our people are visited by a stranger" Isolde rolled her eyes in aversion "you mean Santa Claus right?" Demetrius stood confused as he pondered Isolde's comment "Who is Santa?"

Isolde let loose a hearty laugh as she clutched her sides tightly "Santa is the stranger you are talking about right? He flies through the sky on a sleigh delivering presents for good boys and girls" Isolde collected herself, wiping tears from her eyes, as met Demetrius's gaze.

"That isn't anything like our legend" The boy was quite angry and Isolde quickly consoled him "The stranger is very motherly and grants the children a wish! If all the children wishes are granted then next year she grows stronger."

Isolde contemplated examining Demetrius for signs of illness; however, one glance was all it took to see that he was dead serious about his claim. "Do all the children know of this legend?" Isolde reasoned it was best to play along for now and find out all she could. "Yes! They all look forward to her yearly visits" Demetrius beamed as Isolde sat trying to piece together all that she had heard.

"She must be quite old" Isolde wisecracked, trying to confuse him. "No! That isn't how it works a successor is chosen every decade or so" Demetrius smiled arrogantly as he continued "Pretty knowledgeable aren't I!"

"Yes I suppose you are" Isolde grinned slyly "Mind if I ask some questions?" Demetrius stood dumbfounded as he did not expect her to be so inquisitive "I don't have anything else to add" he yelled as Isolde let loose a small chuckle. "So you don't aren't as informed as you said you were" She teased as the little boy ran out angrily "Perhaps I should inquire more about this benevolent stranger, if nothing else, I can kill a little time and gain the children's trust."
© Copyright 2010 Almacia (shirouta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698693-For-the-Childeren-prologue