*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/169878-Dont-Wanna-Be-A-Yuppie
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #169878
Why I'm taking up Business Economics but don't want to end up a yuppie
“I see myself admiring the clear blue horizon while immersing my tired feet in the warm white sand. There is a chilled coconut juice by my side complemented with a platter of lobsters cooked in lemon-butter sauce…”

This is what I plan to do right after I graduate, go on a long hiatus relaxing my mind, body and soul. If I can go around the world I would like to go to exotic places and meet different kinds of personalities. I want to have hands-on experience with the stories I learn in school. For a month, all I want to do is to travel and to appreciate the wonderful sights one often neglects because of being too preoccupied.

I just want to revitalize myself before I carve my mark in the real world. Although the real world is where one can earn a living to support oneself, sometimes it also makes a person forget to look forward to each sunrise because one can be very busy trying to avoid rush hour traffic on his way to work. At the office, he gets stressed out because of his impending deadlines that he forgets to savor the aroma of the coffee that he hastily gulps down thus burning his tongue in the process. (Let me give you a tip: The proper way to drink coffee is in sips letting the flavor sit at the back of your tongue.) On his way home, he again tries to avoid the heavy traffic in the metropolis in the process he never notices the sky displaying a variety of magnificent shades and colors due to the setting sun. That is why the real world scares the hell out of me. I am scared that I will turn into that person who no longer relishes the simple beauty of life.

You might be wondering why I am taking this course if I don’t want to turn into a yuppie because this course usually produces these kind of creatures. You might suggest that I just go take up photography or creative writing so that I can capture Life. But believe me, I do like studying Economics. I find it interesting. Plus I will tell you that I am also just a practical person. It is much easier for me to get a job with this course than let’s say Music or Philosophy. Any person can no longer see beauty if he is already cross-eyed with hunger. So that’s why I am trying my best to stay in this course.

One solution for me is to try not to get an eight to five job. Maybe I can get a job where there is fieldwork required wherein I can personally see the state of the market or the economy of the country. Maybe I can visit factories or have discussions with our labor groups. I want to be altruistic as much as possible. I just don’t want to lose that heart as they say. But I know I can never avoid office work and staff meetings. Sometimes I might forget to enjoy the cool breeze that often calms my nerves as I proceed to enter my office building because my mind is engrossed with the presentation I need to show the board of directors. But I can make up for it when I gaze at the stars at night while having a mug of hot chocolate in my hand. This is usually the time where I think of how the day has been for me and thank the Lord for another experience that has given me wisdom.

Sooner or later I may be called a yuppie but I am only a yuppie for appearance’s sake.

© Copyright 2001 padfoot (padfoot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/169878-Dont-Wanna-Be-A-Yuppie