*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699210-New-Year-New-Memories
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Teen · #1699210
What better way to start a new year than to start with an old tradition and new memories?
"I'm not going! I told you last year that I'm done with these stupid parties. I never have fun and you guys always leave me for boys. I feel awkward by myself. I'm gonna stay right here tomorrow night and throw my own pity party!"



I was firm on my answer. After two years of high school parties, I realized that I would rather stay home and be miserable than go to the party and be miserable. I knew that my friends wouldn't take no for an answer though.



"Rose Adair! You are going to go to that party and you will enjoy it. We won't leave you this time. We'll make it a girls' night, 'kay?" Brittany thought that would change my mind, but it didn't. I love my friends, but I wanted them to have fun; not worry about me the whole night. I looked over at Tamar for help.



"Well, Rose, if you don't want to go to the party, would you like us to stay here with you?" She looked over at Brittany, but she had a growling expression. Tamar looked back at me. "We'd be glad to ditch the party to be with you."



Brittany had gasped out loud at this point. "Tamar, you crazy girl. No one is staying home. All three of us are going. This is the party of the year we're talking about. People will be talking about it for weeks, and if we miss it, we will regret it later. So we are all getting ourselves ready to go outfit shopping!"



I wasn't budging. I still planned on staying home. "You two have fun. Since I'm staying here, there is obviously no need for my new outfit of the year." I gave a tiny, fake smile. I know that I didn't fool them though.



The new outfit of the year is a tradition for us. The day before New Year's Eve is when we find an amazing outfit to wear on New Year's Eve night. And once it strikes midnight, we declare the new year has started, and we started it with new clothing. I have always loved that part. I really would hate to miss it, but I don't want to do it alone, and I am not going to that party.



"Rose, you get your butt off tha--"



"Brittany!" Tamar gave her a warning look, but it also looked like there was a hidden message in that look. She turned back to me. "Okay . . . so we're going, but we won't force you to come with us to the party. But could you please consider coming shopping with us to give opinions on outfits? We can't do that without you."



Tamar was so sincere. There's no wonder why guys were all over her. She was sweet, smart, and hot. I wish I could be as lucky. Brittany was just the same. Sure, she could get a little grouchy when she didn't get her way; but guys always seemed to give her everything she wanted anyways.



Guys never had anything to do with me unless it was just being friends or trying to get with Tamar and Brittany. I've been told I am pretty, and I know that I am . . . but the guys at our school and in our town apparently don't want 'just pretty.' I stopped trying a year ago.



"Rose, are you awake?" I was snapped out of my daydreaming by Brittany's voice. "Will you please come?"



"Yeah, I'll go shopping, but that's it." I'd do that much for my friends. In all truth, I wanted to go and possibly still get an outfit.



We walked down to One Stop Dress Shop, where we get all of our clothes. Great outfits at fair prices. It was a dream store. We were even friends with the owner and got deals all the time.



As soon as we walked in, my eyes fell upon a gorgeous outfit. It was a neon green halter top that tied around at the neck. There was a knee-length black skirt to go along with it. A little black jacket was on the model next to it, which I thought would go perfect.



I had never wanted an outfit so much. I turned to face Brittany and Tamar, but they were giggling at me. "What?!"



Brittany was the first one to open her mouth. "You know, I think you've mentioned that Jake's favorite color is green." She stared at me with a smirk plastered on her face.



I let out a very audible gasp. Jake Benson, the cutest and sweetest boy I have ever met, though it was only for a minute or so. Actually, that was a daydream; we had never actually met. I've had a huge crush on him for two years.



I was wondering why Brittany would say that. I mean, of course her and Tamar knew of my crush on him, but Jake never goes to parties. Everyone knew that. He would never go to this party, especially at Ria's. They hated each other!



I had to ask Brittany. "Why did you say that?" It sounded a bit dumb, but I wanted to know. Tamar's eyes grew wide and they both started to laugh.



"You really haven't heard? That is very surprising. I thought you had people feeding you info about him." Tamar started laughing so hard after she spoke that her eyes started watering. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. I was very embarrassed.



"Haven't heard what?! What are you guys laughing about? And that is so not true!" Brittany stopped laughing briefly, looked at me, then laughed again. "Seriously guys! Please tell me. Tamar, what is going on?" They both finally stopped their laughing fits. They looked at each other, then Tamar finally opened her mouth.



"Jake Benson is going to the party. I'm surprised you don't know. Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows. We found out last week." I stood there gaping at her. Jake, Jake Benson, going to a party. And I didn't know?! Where have I been? There had to be a reason for him to go all of a sudden, especially to Ria's party.



"Why didn't you guys tell me that?" I paused for a moment, looked at the outfit we were still standing in front of, then spoke again. "Well you guys need to hurry and pick out some clothes! I already got mine." I giggled and they smiled at me. Next thing I know, I'm being strangled in hugs.



I grabbed my outfit off the rack and we continued looking for Brittany and Tamar's outfits. Brittany found her outfit next. It was a black dress with purple lace on the edges. It was beautiful and looked like a Lolita dress. The length was also just at the knees, and it had short sleeves that cut off mid-shoulder.



We had been here for about 45 minutes, most of it being our not-so-funny Jake Benson joke. We were still looking for the perfect outfit for Tamar, but had been out of luck so far. There was one more section left that we had missed earlier.



Brittany skipped ahead of us to look. She started smiling as she looked at one dress, so we instantly knew she found it. "Stop! Don't look yet. Tamar go to the dressing room please. Rose, come here and look!"



Tamar trusted us, and walked into the dressing room. I walked over to Britt and looked at the dress. It was gorgeous! I would even love it. "Do you think this is good?"



"Of course! It is perfect! This is like the best year we've ever had with outfits. I love them, like I love you guys."



Brittany smiled and headed to where Tamar was waiting for the dress. "Now Tamar, I know there is no way for us to surprise you with this dress. So put it on and show us what you think." Tamar had her eyes closed when Brittany handed it to her.



We waited while she put the dress on and the door started to open. Tamar spun out of the room, doing a complete 360 spin. The dress went just above her knees, flowing lightly, but not too high to show anything. The dress was a baby blue with black trim. It was simple, yet very elegant.



Tamar's face was glowing. We could tell she loved it. She ran over to us and we accepted her into an embrace. "Aww! You guys, it's amazing. I love it. Thank you. This was such a great year."



"It's not over yet. Wait until tomorrow to say that." I knew it was a great year though. Tomorrow wouldn't change that. I had hopes that tomorrow would make it a better one.



We purchased a couple accessories such as necklaces and bracelets, along with our outfits. We left the store and said our goodbyes until tomorrow.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Brittany and Tamar met and changed at my house; it was the closest to Ria's party. It wasn't too cold, so the dresses we were wearing were fine for walking to the party.



Once we were all dressed and ready, we started walking to Ria's house. On the way there, we passed Jake's house just as we were walking by. I was oblivious to the fact, at least until I heard him start calling my name.



I kept on walking though. I thought I was hearing stuff, like my own thoughts wanting to hear it. I jumped when Tamar put her hand on my shoulder and said my name. That's when I knew I was only thinking it.



"Rose, Jake wants you! Why won't you stop? We all stopped back there." I turned around to find Brittany and Jake still in front of his house. He was calling my name! I'm such a jerk.



Tamar whispered in my ear before we started walking back. "He wanted to show you something. He said you'll find it interesting. Is there something you've been keeping from us?"



I closed my eyes to make sure it wasn't a mirage, but when I opened them again everything was the same. I looked at Tamar and shook my head no. I felt like I couldn't speak. I didn't know he knew my name. Well, maybe it was from his occasional talks with Brittany. But something that would interest me?



My head was clouded with confusion. Tamar had led me back to Brittany and Jake during my silent thinking. I looked at Jake and he was smiling at me. Brittany walked over to Tamar and me, just when Jake started to speak to me.



"Rose, would you mind looking at something real quick please?" I nodded my head, but turned to my friends for confirmation. They were smiling at me. "You guys can go ahead to the party and I can walk with Rose in a minute, if that's alright with you, I mean." He turned to me. My heart was throbbing against my chest. I looked once again at my friends, but they were already backing up to walk away. They waved goodbye to me and Brittany mouthed 'see ya later'. I smiled and turned back to Jake.



"I'll take that as a yes?" I looked sideways at him and giggled, nodding my head yes. He went to his front door, opened it for me, and followed me inside. He started walking into a room, but I remained standing at the front door. It was dark in the hallway, but I managed to see him peek his head back around the corner and offer me his hand. I hesitated, but gladly accepted it.



Jake led me into what I guessed was his room. It felt cozy just being in here. There were lots of drawings up on the walls. I didn't know Jake was an artist. I saw one drawing that stood out on the wall just above his bed. I walked closer to see it.



It was a painting of a rose. It was very detailed and a deep, yet vibrant red. It was beautiful. "Jake, this is so beautiful! I didn't know you were an artist!" Not that he knows I know anything about him. This is so awkward!



"Nobody knows I draw and paint. I only do it here in my room, and nobody ever comes over. This is how I relax and it's what I enjoy." He walked up beside me and touched the rose painting. "This was what I wanted to show you. You inspired this. A rose for your name of course. A red rose for the love I have for you."



Jake turned away from me and walked out of the room. I looked once more at the painting, though all I could concentrate on was what he had just said. "The love I have for you."



I walked out of his room to look for him, but he was just outside of the door leaning against the wall with his hand on his face. I didn't know what to say. I was stunned by just being this close to him. I just decided to say whatever came to mind. "Jake? Are you okay?" Okay .. bad idea. Think before you speak, Rose. Now what do I say?!



Jake peeked up at me from his hand, then stood up away from the wall. He shook his head around a bit then looked back at me. He didn't say anything for a few seconds, like he was speechless too. He looked down at his feet. "I'm fine, just embarrassed is all. I didn't mean for that to slip out. Please forget that." He sighed for a brief moment before speaking again. "Would you like to go to Ria's now? I'm sorry for keeping you."



Jake started walking towards the front door. he reached out for the handle, but just at that moment is when I decided to act. I slipped my hand where the handle would've been and took his hand in mine. He looked at me and I smiled, hoping he would realize I liked him too.



As soon as Jake smiled back at me, I closed the space between us and brought my lips to his. The kiss lasted for only five seconds. I had no idea what I was doing. I had never kissed a guy before, but I just acted on instinct.



"Rose, will you be my girlfriend?" I looked up at him and laughed. Why would I say no? I just nodded my head and we hugged. He kissed my cheek once more before we headed out the door to Ria's party. Wow, do I have a lot to tell Tamar and Brittany or what?! This was the best year ever, and next year will be even greater.
© Copyright 2010 Evelyn Rose (evelyn27 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699210-New-Year-New-Memories