*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699703-The-accident
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1699703
May Shensal meets child Allen Brooke and they connect
May Shensal walked up the park's gravel path slowly. Trees, slightly bare, flanked her on either side. She caught glimpses of the lake to her right between the trunks of the trees. The path was littered with brown leaves. On either side of the path, the leaves were gathered up where they had been shoved away. Breathing deeply, May walked forward, her mind content and peaceful, like a pool that had never been disturbed.

She pulled her crimson, fur-lined coat tighter around her. The chill of late autumn tickled her bare cheeks. She reached back and pulled her hair out of its bun. Black waves cascaded down to her knees. There, it was warmer around her neck and shoulders.

She walked to the very edge of the park, where the peace opened up to the bustle of urban life. May joined the crowd on the sidewalk. She started walking quickly. It wasn't long before she started to notice the sidelong glances the people were throwing her. Her eyes opened wide. She groaned. I forgot! Again!

She paused to smoothly pull her hair up into a bun which she hid by a felt cap that had been stuffed into a coat pocket. She started walking again. She stopped before a red light, sighing. There were other people beside her, waiting to cross the street. The general hubbub of conversation, muffled music, the sound of chewing met her ears and she tuned them out.

Someone tugged at her coat. Surprised, she looked down at the young, heart-warming, beautiful face of a boy with wide eyes and chocolate curls. His hand rested on the fur line of her coat. His hands were so small! How beautiful!

He smiled shyly. His voice was like the sound of a playful spring. "Ma'am, could you please help me across the street?"

He threw a frightened glance at the cars. "I am afraid of those things that honk."

"Of course!" She paused a bit. "Sweetie, where is your Mama?"

"At home," he said. He had to crane his neck up to look at her. May's hand stiffened. She knelt beside the boy and placed a hand on his cheek. "Where is home?"

"Across the street," he pointed. May sighed in relief. So he was not lost. May took his hand and stood up, smiling. He smiled back, his sweet face becoming honey. She wished she could feel his small hand through the fabric of her black gloves. She held on tightly. The lights winked green and they crossed the street. He pressed close to her, eyes confused and frightened. His hand clutched hers tighter. When they reached the sidewalk, he sighed and let go of her hand. "Thank you miss."

                                *                          *                        *
May forced Sasha into bed and leaned close to her. Her daughter, beaming, sidled closer and pressed her fingers to May's cheeks. May commanded, "Sweetie, go to sleep."

Sasha looked at May with pleading eyes. May just shook her head. Finally giving in, the little girl sank into her pillows. In the lobby, she met her husband. His deep voice was comforting. "To your evening walk?"

May just smiled and went through the front door. After her daily stroll at the park, her mind refreshed after the tiring day, she was back on the way home. She had not forgotten to pull up her inconspicuously long hair this time. She reached the zebra-crossing while the light was still green. There were momentarily few cars on the road. Several pedestrians walked beside her.

It was as she was walking away from the general crowd, a little up front, did she notice the boy from the other day a little way off. He was shambling forward, clearly frightened. She stepped forward to greet him. It was just then that the loud horn of a car screamed and a blue Mercedes whipped up the road. Headed straight for the little boy.

May darted forward and pushed him away. He fell to the ground and she could see his forehead cut, the blood stream. Her coat flared as she turned to watch the car advance. It slammed into her and she jerked forward. Her left eye blazed and she closed her eyes, hoping for blissful blackness.

                                *                          *                        *
Allen Brooke opened his eyes to bright white light. He gasped and blinked. "Oh you're awake, son."

A man in doctor-uniform smiled at him, a smile much like the one the lady-with-the-red-coat had given him. He tried to sit up as the memory of that blue, honking monster came to him. He grabbed the doctor's sleeve and stared up at his face. He screamed. "Blue honker!"

A familiar, kind voice floated into the room. Allen turned to it. "It's okay, sweetie. The honker is gone."

It was the red-coat-lady. She was dressed so strangely, in a frock-like a white dress. Her hair, which had always been under a cap, was black and braided loosely to her knees. A white patch covered one of her dark eyes. Once again he thought of his mother. She always brought hi mother up in his mind, even though they were so different. He bit his lip at the thought that Mama might send him out again to the shop, alone, across the big street full of honkers.

Red-coat-lady glided to the bed and put a warm hand on his head. She smiled. "Hi. I'm May Shensal."

"Hello Ms. Shensal," he replied. Papa said he always had to be polite. "I'm Allen Brooke."
© Copyright 2010 Lianna Flowrite (liannaflowrite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699703-The-accident