*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700244-At-First-Sight-Prologue
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Young Adult · #1700244
A little fantasy story about a family of royal witches in turmoil with a bit of romance.
Prologue

The sky outside was not just black, it was the kind of black that envelopes all of the senses and throws a person into an unknown world, never knowing, never seeing where they’re going. It surrounds the ears so every sound is both magnified and muffled, the nose smells nothing and steps are slower and unsure. This was the kind of night that scared even the bravest of men. Fear hung in the air as two soldiers, covered in dirt and blood, raced as fast as the horses could carry them, a smidgen of yellow in the distance their destination. Each soldier was entrusted with a small bundle, their only task to get the newborn prince and princess safely away from the terror that was ensuing in Vengalis, the royal city.
         “Just a little further, my brother.” The older of the two soldiers yelled to the other.
         “Yes, faster!” the second solider yelled back, urging the horse to pick up its pace. He could hear the hooves behind them and knew at any moment they could be outrun by the evil chasing them. As they raced across the plain, the screams could be heard from behind, the ghastly gut-wrenching screams of people being burned. There was only one thing in the world that could kill a witch, tàtrîeek înkeedî; the consuming fire. It was spreading through the city leaving no one in its wake, as rogue witches carried out the orders of a truly evil man named Nero. As long as the new prince and princess made it out of the city safely, there was hope for their whole race. The golden glow in the distance began to expand as they came up on Ara, the city of protection, which was emerging from the middle of the barren countryside. It was the most sacred place in their world and the two soldiers were risking their lives to make sure the children got there safely.
         “Almost there, little one” The older brother, Marc, whispered to the bundle strapped to his chest. The babe was sound asleep, his tiny hand curled around the edge of the blanket.
         “Give me the child” A chilling voice came up from behind the soldier. He hunched protectively over the child as sparks flew over his head, dodging the fire curse. Grabbing the sword that was strapped to his back, he swung hard as a hand reached out for the baby. He could feel as he made contact, a screech echoing through the black that surrounded them all.  He could hear as Merrick, the other solider was fighting on the other side of him.
         “Marc!” Merrick yelled out, as the two horses bumped sides. Marc felt as the tiny princess was shoved into his arms.
         “Merrick?” he questioned as the soldier grunted and he heard him swinging the giant claymore around. “Brother!?”
         “Take them! RUN!” Marc did not question what was happening. Merrick was a trained soldier, if he lost his life now it was in protection of the children. They were all that mattered; he knew what he needed to do. Urging the horse faster, he could see the glow of the city growing in front of him. Suddenly, he could feel the legs of the horse coming out from underneath them and knew they were about to hit the ground. Curling his body around the two bundles, still asleep, he rolled away from the hurt animal, his legs hitting the ground hard as he fell. Dazed, he stood and knew that he could not just stand there, he had to keep moving.           
Racing, both bundles wrapped securely at his chest, he ran with everything that was inside of him to get inside the safety of the protection city. He could feel every muscle in his body screaming as he pushed them as hard as he could, fighting with every breath he had to protect the babies. The last hundred feet stretched before him- he almost sighed in relief- almost.
         “You would give your life to protect them?” A dark menacing voice came from in front of the guard as he slid to stop.
         “It is my duty.” He answered without hesitation, his arm pulling the two children closer to his chest.
         “I find it fascinating that you would think it is your duty to protect those who do not deserve it.” The voice drawled out. The all encompassing darkness made it impossible to see the man, but Marc could sense where he was and heard the soft rustle of clothes as they moved about the man. Quietly he reached for the wand in his boot, having lost his sword when the horse had tumbled beneath him.
         “And who are you to say they do not deserve it?” Marc countered, hoping to stall the man long enough to hit him with a curse.
         “My name is not important, but the message I deliver is. These children are marked with death. Their only purpose in this life will be to further the downfall of the Pallaton reign. Tonight was just the beginning of the end of their race.” His sneering voice was full of venom as he delivered the threatening message. Marc whispered, willing the fire curse forward but it hit nothing, eventually falling to the ground where it sparked and died. The man had vanished as quickly as he had come.
Not waiting to see if the man was still there, Marc took off toward the city. He could see the line of royal guards inside the protective wards that burned golden light. He growled through the pain that was shooting through his body and made it the last few feet, coming up just short of the wards. The men on the inside were scrambling, some running off to bring Heredith, the high priestess, to bring down the wards at that section of the circle to let him inside the city. Marc backed up to the border, keeping the light to his back, in anticipation of anything that might come at him before she finished. He could hear the mumbles as the guards moved behind him, but refused to turn around, always alert, waiting for anything that could come at him.
Moments passed that felt like a lifetime when someone grabbed him by the shoulder and several hands pulled him inside the city. Relief flooded through him as the two precious bundles he had been carrying were taken from his arms and whisked away to their family. He had done his job and they were safe for now. But the loss that had ensnared the night still stayed with him, vibrating to his soul. Every muscle in his body tried to urge him forward into the darkness to find his fallen brother but he knew he couldn’t and he felt the sadness sweep through him as fast as the fire was killing those trapped inside the city. 
         Inside the tower of the Supkree Zreetyn, the high priestess, Queen Alvara waited as the guards rushed the newborn twins to them. Her husband King Aldon was still inside Zengalis, trying to contain the curse running through the city and fighting those responsible. Both women would have stayed in Vengalis and seen the children safely to the city of Arà, but without warning, Queen Alvara had been summoned by the Witches Counsel leaving the guards to make sure the children ended up here safely.
The Queen was pacing back and forth on the marble floor, the clicking sound of her heels vibrating through the small room. Every thought in her head were focused on her husband and two small children. She knew that Marc and Merrick were the two best trained guards in the entire infantry, but she still worried that Casimira and Caiden would actually make it to her safely. She couldn’t help being afraid though, everything had happened so fast and after what the Witches Counsel had proclaimed the Queen was having trouble believing in anything good anymore. What was happening in the city confirmed all her worst fears about the kingdom falling into disarray.
The Queen shook her head to no one in particular and continued to pace, avoiding looking out the window at all costs. Once those babies were back in her arms, she knew she would feel some peace, even if only for that moment. The twins were only a day old, but already the weight of not only a city, but their entire race sat on their tiny little shoulders.   
         “Your Highness?” A strong voice came from behind her, pulling her out of the trance she found herself in. Turning around, she saw one of the guards standing there, her two sleeping children wrapped in blankets being held out to her. Gasping, she reached out to touch them. Sobs caught in her throat as she grabbed both children and pulled them close to her.
“Where are Marc and Merrick?” she asked quietly to the guard standing there.
         “Marc is on his way up, Your Highness. He took a nasty fall; they wanted to make sure he was okay. Merrick… he… he didn’t make it Your Majesty.” The guard answered, a slight catch in his voice. Queen Alvara nodded and mourned silently for the fallen guard while she took in the sight of her sleeping infants. The guard left quietly, knowing the Queen needed the privacy with her children. Several minutes passed before the scuffle of feet could be heard on the stairs leading to the chamber.
         “Captain Marc Virse, Your Majesty.” The worn out looking guard fell on one knee in front of the Queen. Smiling, Alvara reached out and put her hand on the Captain’s shoulder.
         “We owe you more than you can imagine Captain. I thank you and your brother, rest his soul, for bringing them here safely and for what you have done for the entire race.” She smiled down at him and then motioned for him to stand. 
         “It was my honor, Your Highness.” He replied, getting to his feet. “Those children are our future.” 
         “Captain, I have yet another task to ask of you.” Alvara said, her kind eyes smiling.
“Anything, Your Highness.” The guard replied without hesitation. The Queen came over to him and handed him Princess Casimira. The guard took her, questioning eyes laid upon the Queen.
         “She needs a protector. The Prince has Yuri, but the Princess needs someone to stay by her side and keep her safe as she grows. Would you do me the honor of being her protector?” She smiled, watching how the guard held the child. Marc gasped, the full force of what the Queen had asked of him dawning. He tore his eyes from the mother to the child in his arms. Her eyes were beginning to open, she yawned, her tiny fist raised up as she awoke. Marc knew what being a protector meant, it was one of the greatest honors a man like him could be granted- the chance to not only live at the castle, but to watch over a member of the royal family. It was an honor only given to very few men and he knew that it was one of the most important missions he would ever been given in his life. He also knew that Merrick would be immensely proud to know what was being offered and Marc knew it would honor his younger brother by accepting to be the princess’s protector. 
         “I would be honored Your Highness.” Marc replied, placing his hand over the child’s head. The Queen came over; the prince still nestled in her arms, and placed her left hand again on his shoulder.
         “Repeat after me, Marc.” She closed her eyes as she began channeling the magic from the earth, allowing it to flow into the guard. “Ie promàtîee ni àràn su bîeebee kulg àràkhet àeetînu àkeen.” The soldier repeated the words and a small blaze lit the room. Looking down, Marc saw the small golden intricate tattoo on the side of his hand and its twin on the princess’s tiny hand. And so began the first few days of the new princess’s life.

© Copyright 2010 Jelex Lynn (jlam1227 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700244-At-First-Sight-Prologue