*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700425-Sciss--The-Druid-Series-Part-II
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bootna
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1700425
Natalie's point of view of her culture.
Sciss was gone. Pop. Done. No one blamed him, or was angry with him. Why would we? Yeah, yeah. He almost killed me. I know. But so has Drake. And practically everyone else here. Sciss learned something from us I guess.

Druids' points of view are different from those of a wizard you see. We educate by doing. If you happen to mix boison berries with puck berries, well, you're in for a very uncomfortable night. Because, if every moment is real life, real life isn't that big of a deal. That probably makes no sense to you. In a druid world, survival is key. You can't do magic cause you didn't meditate? Tough. It's kinda hard to do a magical job when you can't do magic. So, you learn to always find time for meditation. It just makes sense to live life as it will be in the future.

My future is clear. I will be a tribeswoman, if not eventually the head. I'm a talented magical. (There's an appropriate term for it. That's just what us kids say. It's "hip") The first time I did magic defined that. I wanted a broom. I got one all right. And it still is as beautiful today as it was six years ago when I made it.

That may not mean much to you. But to druids, it's everything. Brooms show talent. Anyone that makes a broom has an inkling of magical ability. And magic is everything to druids. It's how we hide in secret. It's how we eat. It's how we decide who we are. Only three people in history have not been able to make a broom. Now, that really didn't make my making aroom special. I made mine by myself when I was six. This one of course isn't as good as my official broom I'll make at the ceromony, but it was a good starter one. It had a foothold, relativly balanced position, the bristles were in line; but all of that doesn't matter. I put a unicorm hair through the middle of the broom. This, my friend, only few can do. Only the tribespeople. And only the most powerful at that. So, at that moment, through me wanting a broom, that want allowed me to decide my entire future. There and then.

Such ideas are very common of druids. Our future is set by fate and our own sense of adventure. The last part I put in. The older druids think that idea is silly, but I think it's true. Once I become a druid, the species will never be the same again. Imagine what I could do! I could get people to think for themselves! I could introduce real emotions! Sciss changed the way I think. To honor him, I'll expose the future generations to this.

So I bet at this point you're really confused, eh? Don't be. Oh, Sciss. Right. I was going to tell you about Sciss.

He was a wizard. He was my mentor ever since I was six, after the incident with the broom. The headswoman at the time decided that I needed to learn more about what was happening outside of the forest, seeing the path my talent had begun to take me. So in came Sciss. For awhile, the druids realized how isolated they were from other beings. Literally. They had no idea what had happened to the dwarves, elves, wizards, dragons, pixies, and all the other creatures they had once dwelt with. (Needless to say, druids don't notice things very easily. Not one of our finer traits I might add.) So, they started to send scavengers out. They came back with these far fetched stories of rock squares that people went in and out of and these alien objects that moved people, like brooms did, only they could only stay on the ground!

Druids don't lie. Er, didn't lie. So the entire population was clueless about what to do. They knew they needed to learn more about the culture they had so long rejected. So they went out to find the perfect person. They searched a long time, and came up with Sciss. He was perfect! He had no family, but he knew about culture and philosophy and wizardy! Eventually, after a painful amount of time, here came Sciss.

He was fine at first. Truely. He taught Drake and I everything. About muggles, about cars, buildings, philosophy! He taught us to be induviduals. Sciss brought an awakening to the druid culture. Soon, everyone was hungry for knowlege. So more teachers began to come in. Those teachers also began to teach others in their part of the world about druids. And so, druids were exposed. No one knew about the deepest part of the forest except for Sciss. Even he knew that part ws exclusively for druids. So Sciss kind of became a druid himself.

Then things started to turn around 10. And well, you know the rest. But we still respect him. He taught us the worst life wizards could have. So, acording to our standards, he was fine. He taught us not to be afraid of the outside world, just to be cautious. He gave me a voice. A powerful thing in the druid world. Voice. Not many can say that. And about hte almost killing me thing, I've had worse. Hm. Yup, I've had worse.

Only a couple days away from the festival. It's about time I take up my rightful place.
© Copyright 2010 Bootna (bootna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700425-Sciss--The-Druid-Series-Part-II