*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700466-Rowen-Cairn-Part-06
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1700466
Another stranger?
Again she looked at him for several moments before she responded. This time, however, her face softened. Slowly, she moved off the bed, sliding to the floor in front of him. "I don't like being given orders...that is how I am. I raised myself. I've been on my own since I was fourteen and...people never...protected me. Maybe you're not being bossy-" She hesitated, made a face, not really believing herself one hundred percent there, and continued on. "...you're just protecting. And protection and bossy...it all just gets mixed up for me. But, Idris...I can take care of myself. I'm really very self-sufficient, I promise." She'd seen the terror on his face when his mind went to the worst scenario and she realized how much he feared for her. Gingerly, her arms went around his neck, resting atop his shoulders. "And I'm pushy. I want to know everything, I want explore, and stick my nose in places where it probably doesn't belong. You had business to deal with on the launch bay and...I'd be in the way. I just want to protect you too." She fell silent then, letting her words sink in, and finally she made her apology. "I'm sorry...for blowing up at you."
He watched her as she spoke, nodding slowly as he listened to her. "I know..." Perhaps a part of him needed her to need him, but he wasn't sure if that was the case. "And, I don't...mind if you're pushy. However, one thing I am confident of is...no matter how experienced you truly are, this is an arena you're more unfamiliar with than I am. I need you to trust me, when I say 'don't,' that I am not just trying to be bossy. I'm doing it because I know better and know things you haven't had the chance to learn yet. It wasn't that you would have been in the way, it's just, for now, Avenger and most her crew is under the belief that I am alone. I intend to keep it that way. Your presence would only further complicate things. Which...which is not your fault...it just...it's reality." He sighed. He didn't want to sound callous. He smiled a little. "Though, I have to admit I was surprised by how much you reached out of your shell when you did that. Hopefully, someday, I'll see more of that little firecracker woman you keep so hidden from me." He winked at her and kissed her forehead.
"I understand you know more than me. And...you're right. I will stay out of sight, and out of mind, from anyone but you and Ophelia." Looking a bit disappointed with having to agree to that, she forced a smile and looked away from him. "I just hope...that you won't always have to hide me." She took a moment, quietly lost in her thoughts before a real smile crossed her lips this time as she let out a soft chuckle. "...You need someone to keep you on your toes. And who better than girl who'll shoot fire at you?" A gentle hand reached up and touched his cheek, caressing it lightly. "By the way...we have plenty of time together. So if you want to see more of that firecracker...just wait for it. I've still got that dress Ophelia made me." A suggestive look was sent to him as she leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on his lips, holding it for only a few moments before breaking away, and standing. "You have people working on your ship. Do you need to go supervise them?"
He smiled at her and shook his head. "I doubt that the mechanics will get a chance to even start on Atalanta for the next while. Besides, they'll start with the external repairs I was unable to make on my own and...well, when they need to come inside, I guess we can just hide in the refresher." He winked at her, grinning some more. "But they will not need my supervision. Anything they do wrong they would simply have to fix. It would be counterproductive for them to sabotage anything."
"Hide in the refresher? Is that your favorite place on this ship?" She teased gently, reaching up to steal a kiss. "So what do you plan to do while they repair her? I mean...How long do you estimate it will take?" Rowen realized suddenly that if she was going to stay on this ship, she was going to need a hobby. Knowing so little about ships meant that what Idris did around the ship would mean nothing to her. She'd have to figure out something to keep her busy, besides Idris of course. Perhaps, she thought, she could go back to making jewelry like she once had. Rowen loved it, and had found she had quite the eye for such things.
"As far as a time estimate, it's anyone's guess. Why, do you have somewhere you need to be?"
Shooting him a look, she let out a soft laugh. "I was just wondering how long we'd have company, and the possibility of interruptions. That's all." Shrugging innocently, she paused to look around the medical bay and finally made a face. "This place...I don't like it very much. Whether you're a doctor or not."
He looked around. When not in use, the bed, the utensils, the supplies...all folded into the wall and appeared as though it was nothing. The only reason he knew how to find it was because the way the metal was arrayed looked subtly different in this part of the corridor. It wasn't much deeper than a meter or two, and was more for emergency, one-person life saving. He smiled weakly. "Well, I am sorry you feel that way, but it is a necessary part of this ship." He frowned a little, old memories creeping in as he looked away from her face, trying to hide the emotions that bubbled to the surface. His little station had grown in complexity and advancement a great deal since...since he'd realized he needed it. "But, we'll see if we can't figure out somewhere for you to be when you're not with me." He smiled and winked at her, kissing her forehead.
Shaking her head a bit, she looked around the room seeming to consider something. As he kissed her forehead, her attention snapped back to him, and she immediately smiled. "Somewhere that...isn't the refresher." She commented, her arms tightening around him as she leaned up to once again place a kiss on his lips. "I just don't much care for doctors or hospitals or anything of the sort. Bad experiences..." Her own emotions began to bubble up as she took a moment to look away, clearing her throat gently, as she let memories hit her then slowly begin to slide away.
He nodded at her, sensing the unease and chivalrously lifted her up into his arms, picking her up off the floor. He leaned in and kissed her a long moment before carrying her away from the area. As he got far enough away, the walls folded back into the bulkhead, once again looking like any other part of the ring corridor. He leaned against a wall near the galley and kissed her, wondering how long he could hold her before she found a way to deter his hold on her.
When he lifted her, she tensed for a moment, wondering what he was up to. "Idris..." Her voice was cut off as he kissed her. Arms gently wrapped around him and even when he leaned against the galley wall, she didn't dare break that kiss. It was nice after fights like they had just had to just feel that safety with someone, to feel that close. Finally, she broke the kiss, her forehead leaning against his gently. A soft, breathy chuckle escaped her. "Idris...you can put me down. I don't want you straining to carry me..."
He considered this for a moment, quite dramatically and shook his head. "No." He leaned in and kissed her again. The only thing he disliked about holding her this way was that his hands were unable to do anything else besides hold her.
About to argue with him, she found herself once again silence by his kiss. Giving in, she returned his kiss, one of her hands gently running through his hair and down to his cheek, caressing him tenderly. Even though she had first been worried about him lifting her, and keeping her up, she figured he'd put her down if he began to struggle. But he didn't. He continued to hold her, leaning against the wall for support. He did, however, decide to alter their interaction, moving to allow her legs to wrap around his back, he allowed his hands to reach up and hold her near her shoulder blades, deepening the kiss as he kept her off the cold, metal floor. As he moved her, she did just that, gently wrapped her legs around him, making sure she was balanced well enough, before wrapping her arms around his neck. She began to speak, wanting to throw in something witty, smart, but she said nothing, only opened her eyes to look at him for a moment, a happy smile appearing on her lips. "Idris, are you sure this is what you want?"
A unfamiliar voice, one not belonging to Rowen or Ophelia, pierced through the corridor, snapping Idris and Rowen from their activity. "I think that would be rather awkward for the three of us..." The voice came from a woman, the sound not even a meter away.
© Copyright 2010 Idris Chariton (tiber1978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700466-Rowen-Cairn-Part-06