*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700580-Silare
Rated: E · Short Story · Opinion · #1700580
A short story about a surprising crush
I was at a fair or show of some sort. Well going by the stalls being put up the beginnings of one.
It was early morning and the ground was wet from the last nights rain.Feeling cold I made my way to a  stadium it looked like it would be dry inside. Some sort of dog show rehearsal was taking place in the main bowl.I settled down to watch.
It was the usual fare with responsive tests and herding. Then they called for the Hunting and Show category.
The contestants filed out as their names were called. 'Seb Silare, Seb Silare please make your way to the start gate.'  People murmured and looked round .Where could he have gotten to?
"Looks like someones late" I muttered to myself. "But that's just it".
A red haired lady in a cosy parka suddenly plonked herself down in the seat next to me. I stared at her for a long minute. "Sorry were you talking to me."  "Yes silly". Silly I didn't even know this girl and she was calling me silly. Angrily I turned to face her "There's really no reason to be rude. If you have something to say say it."
"Oh I'm so sorry look" She patted my arm "i just had a little..... look that last statement was for my jerk of a brother." she pointed at a retreating  gray overcoat.
I'm really sorry. Placated I nodded.
What i was saying earlier was Seb can,t be late as everyone whos name was called wrote their name down this morning.
"Okay so what's happened to him then." 
"Oh he'll turn up ,you'll see". I nodded unconvinced.
"Well he'd better hurry up the organizers are getting a bit hot n bothered" i said nodding towards the grounds men at the main bowl. They were clustered at the start gate obviously having a heated debate.
Suddenly a murmur swept through the stadium and people clapped . I glanced at the stadium entrance. a tall guy was parking his bike No biggie. As i looked away my glance fell on one of the most striking sights I'd ever seen.

Tall slim.Hair a silver blond russet mix. Dark electric eyes I fell in love instantly.
         
"I told you he'd turn up".
"That's Seb?"
"Yes."

With his arrival events speeded up.
There were ten contestants in all for the hunt sequence. Horses were led out.The pitch had been set up to resemble  sand dunes for them and an antelope was set loose. The owners rode round the perimeter whilst their beasts took to the hillocks to catch the quarry. Each animal instructed or called by their owners horn. Each entrant had 20 minutes to capture their antelope.

Seb's event was a dream sequence there was a close co-ordination between beast and owner. unlike the other contestants the horn had a gentle but clear voice and a rich language. Each  choice of escape of the antelope was matched and nullified. and eventually the hunt was won by a subtle wearing out the antelope.

At the end of the hunt there was a brief silence as if the whole stadium had fallen asleep. Then at once everyone broke into a thunderous applause.

My companion grabbed my arm "Come on lets go". I glanced at her wondering what I'd done to attract such a flitterbug "Go  where ?"
"You want to meet him don't you"
That wouldn't be such a bad thing I thought to myself "Okay lets go."
We stumbled down the stairs pushing through the audience.Suddenly there we were right in front of him The glorious winner.
Unable to resist I threw myself at his neck.
"You wonderful, wonderful creature" I cooed. Running my fingers through his long hair. 
I heard a low chuckle above my head.
"Here's yet another one who only has eye's for Silare."

"Well he's a beauty" I declared defiantly,unwrapping myself from the Silare. Its to be expected  and besides
I've always had a weakness for Saluki's. 
© Copyright 2010 NeuCheri (ucheri at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700580-Silare