*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700754-Satue-of-a-Goddess
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1700754
Noevah, a goddess takes a mortal life on Earth to experience reality without immortality.
Short Story - Statue of a Goddess





         When looking at the stars, many humans believe that they can explain astrological phenomenon through calculations, formulas, and centuries of observation. Unfortunately for humans, believing what they see could lead to the end of their race.

         There are beings in the heavens who look down on this world and pity humans. These beings have learned to manipulate the powers of the universe, and see humans as an inferior species.  The omnipotent entities whose bodies  are made of pure cosmic energy, full of power and light, found humans to be fragile and fairly stupid.

Of these beings was the most powerful, Kronos. Living a life spanning many millennium, Kronos of all deities looked down upon humans the most, and empathized with their pitiful lives. His youngest daughter, Noevah, looked at her father who was full of sadness and concern.

         “Father, you stare relentlessly at this world. Why does it intrigue you so?” she asked.

         He gave his daughter a weary look, then smiled. “My daughter, when you look at this world, tell me, what do you see?”

         She brought her eyes to the timid blue sphere that hovered in rotation with many others. She looked hard but only found war, and greed. They were parasites; draining a heavenly body of all it’s life force. They did this knowingly, and intentionally for an insatiable appetite led by primitive emotions that would be this world’s end. This small blue and white ball that fit in her hand would be nothing but another lifeless planet.

         ”I see... destruction, and war. There is nothing but pain, suffering, and silence in the future of this world. Meaningless death and destruction...” She then looked at her father with pleading eyes. “Father there is nothing to be learned from these hopeless creatures, and their pitiful planet.”

         Kronos smiled at his daughter. She was one of the most beautiful entities in all of creation. Her skin glowed like that of a newborn star, her iridescent hair clung to her shoulders and fell to her waist which evaporated into the galaxies. Any man would believe she was a mirage of the most magnificent Goddess Rhea herself. He took the planet in his hand. “My Love, this world is more precious, and more complex than you will ever know. These primitive hopeless creatures, as you called them, live a life we will never know.”

         “What do you mean father?”

         Kronos gave a laugh that rang out through the heavens, time, and space. “My daughter, so sheltered in her young life. Beings that experience a mortal life, truly find the beauty in what is most precious in all of existence.”

         Noevah drew herself deep in thought. She opened her mouth, and paused. She pursed her lips, and cleared her thoughts. No matter how deep she searched, she could not find anything in her mind that could comprehend what her father meant. What could be the most precious thing in the universe? And why would such archaic beings know this precious thing, and not she; the daughter of the most powerful being in all the universe.

         Kronos saw his daughter’s inquisitiveness get the better of her, and decided to intervene before her inner turmoil succeeded in endless confusion.

         “My daughter, we are not like all beings, and we know the strongest of love; the deepest of sorrows. We have a majestic understanding of life because we have lived for many. But we have infinite lifetimes before us, that lead to no end. There is no limit to our existence.” His heart became luminous and vivid behind his luminescent chest and his body glowed with an eerily hypnotic aura that whipped around him by an invisible breeze. “We do not know the greatest of love, and the greatest of sorrows because to live a short life, you must truly envelope every experience as a unique experience until the end of time.”

         He reached for his daughter and the small planet grew, enveloping their bodies as it surround them. They were surrounded by life; buildings, trees... humans. They glided amongst the humans freely, and unseen from their eyes. A busy metropolis, much like a meteor shower. Noevah’s eyes fluttered as she absorbed the scenery around her. A bustle of life, constant motion, not unlike the universe itself.

         “Look, there,” he hinted with his luminous eyes towards a couple sitting at a table. They were enjoying a drink at a small cafe. A petite blonde, with a tall dark haired man sat and laughed together. The man leaned into her closely and whispered something in her ear. The corner of her lips curved up slightly in a smile. Noevah could feel her heart racing and her skin growing warm. Love. Their eyes filled with a fire that she had never seen.

         “They have only known each other for a short amount of time,” he continued, “an affair that may only last for one night, will be a constant in their memories forever. But unlike our kind, they are not bound to their mate for all of eternity once finding love. They may live their life together, or regret never staying true to their bond and lead separate lives until their death. Forever morning their loss, with no way of undoing what will be lost along with their essence.”

         What is this love? She wondered. What is this love and loss that can never be recovered because of life’s end? She could not wrap her head around the idea. She could not imagine continuing life without the love of her father, sisters, and brothers. She would insure the decimation of all existence if her beloved sister, Andromeda’s life force was not present in her life.

         Kronos knew curiosity and sympathy began to manifest in his daughter’s heart. A curiosity very familiar to him.

         “Would you like to experience this mortal life?” he asked. His eyes shifted to his daughter as a coy smile played on his face.

         She stared intently at the couple laughing. The man gently touched the woman’s face with the back of his hand, and took her other in his. He kissed her cheeks and they flamed red as she blushed. This temporary warmth, and the allure of fleeting emotions drew her in deeper into curiosity. She looked up at her father pleadingly.

         “Yes father, I would like to know a mortal life.”





Earth



         Noevah could feel the eyes following her as she walked into the small cafe. They couldn’t resist her beauty. What human could? She was a goddess trapped inside a mortal body. They could not pull their eyes away from the glow of her tan caramel skin, and silken black hair that fell to her waist. She wore a silver dress that shimmered like diamonds. She stood in front of the cash register as the cashier girl, maybe 15 or 16 donning a Cafe Cafe hat, looked at her in awe.

         She reviewed the selection before her, and decided on a croissant and a green tea. She sat at a table outside ignoring the awkward stares. Noevah sat quietly and inhaled. Camellias are beautiful flowers, she thought. She took a small sip of her tea and closed her eyes. The leaves were used to create such a beautiful fluid for consumption.

         “What were you thinking agreeing to an experience so drawl as this?” a voice came from Noevah’s wrist bracelet. To the ordinary eye, this looked like a simple jeweled white gold bracelet, but it was more than ordinary. The bracelet was created by Aphrodite herself, made from a Crystallized Zoimium Alloy. A rare indestructible metal found deep in the Aion Galaxy, which is fused with Graconian crystal components that resonate cosmic energy. The bracelet was possessed by Mnemo, a spirit that lived many lifetimes on Earth. Mnemo was Noevah’s guide, and guardian while on this planet. Noevah’s father insisted that he would turn his attention to other planets in the galaxy, to allow her a truly free experience as a mortal human. But Mnemo is her chaperon, and is to keep her company in her vulnerable form.

         “Mnemo, I have not lived like this before. For you, this experience may be drawl, but for me, it is has been nothing but amazing,” she sighed her words light as air.

         “We arrived at dawn. It’s only mid day, believe me, there is not much more than what you’re already seen, my Goddess,” Mnemo added, the bracelet glowing as she spoke. “So far, we’ve observed an outdoor market place, a liquor store, and one too many dress shops. Honestly, what are clothes for anyway but to hide ones nude shell. They hide themselves, only to remove these garments and change them at every sun rise and sunset. Some change many times between as well. It is all so meaningless. They should present themselves as they are, then to deceive with their ‘Wonder Bras.’ What is so wonderful about a false illusion?”

         Noevah could sense that those around her were becoming uneasy. “Mnemo, I do not need any distractions,” she whispered, “Please only contact me if you have a great need to intervene for my safety, or if there is a communication from my father. You are bringing about even more unwanted attention than I need.”

         “Yes my Goddess,” the bracelet dimmed and became ordinary once again.

         Noevah let out a sigh of relief, and finished enjoying her tea. She thought back on what Mnemo had said. What is so wonderful about a false illusion? She herself was a false illusion. The illusion of a beautiful human girl. She laughed to herself. Yes she was false, but she was a wondrous being and that was no illusion. She needed to find the one who she could share her mortal life with, and who could give her human love.
© Copyright 2010 Marie Vaulx (exsquizme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1700754-Satue-of-a-Goddess